So what exactly do we mean by chaos anyway?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vyrin, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

And again.. is something one does not choose - they just are.. or they are not. and yes even the chaotic can be submissive and live to serve ;)

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

I thought chaos was about freedom :> How can you be free if you're not master of your self :>

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

This one is not a topic to really get into on the forums. But in this case, i would say its being free to pursue one's own desires.

Amberraine and Time Lord like this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Even if one's desires are ordered?

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Now that is an explanation that starts to give it a tie-in to actual game elements! I don't know if it's SoTA though. :(

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

This is Father Michael Hidalgo,
    Leader of an Army of Chaos during the Mexican Revolution
    [​IMG]
    He spared Mexico City by not invading and the Leaders of Order in Mexico, killed him and stuck his head to pike at the Mexico City,
    where it stayed stuck on the Mexican Government's building for 10 years until the Mexican Revolution was won....
    By the Chaos of the Revolution... That's a Chaotic Leader...
    I post this, because if it is only a name to style in swag and not walk the walk and talk the talk, then we should somehow come up with something to increase and support at least an illusion, for the player to "feel" like they are chaotic...
    Feeling is everything in a game and we need that deeper Chaos flavor...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

7. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I think this is a great way to describe the general nexus of "chaos"-esque elements in SoTA but does it describe chaos magic?

I don't think Lord British's virtues are a religious doctrine? :eek:

Time Lord and rild like this.
  8. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I don't mean to be picky - but I believe in thinking things through to their conclusions. And I don't take insult because I find these mindgames fun... ;)

Here is the problem with what you said: How is it doing nothing when you say you sat, you watched the sky, you found humor in something. That is not doing nothing. You made a choice to sit, to watch, to find humor.

And if I start to expect that you will just act, rather than think about things, how is that then still doing the unexpected?

Better not rest on that case just yet... :p

9. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

It sounds to me like you belong with Order. ;)

10. Eli Fox

Eli Fox Avatar

Good question! Perhaps by not being a slave of your self. Sometimes stubbornness is a persons Master!

Time Lord and Vyrinor like this.
  11. Amber Raine

Comformity? am i not free to not conform to what society wishes to be the case? "you should not bow down to anyone or serve anyone" -- i did not choose who i am, i just am, it does not conform to society and yet i am freely able to be who i am without concern that it does not.
    .. Order says "follow social standards" .. Chaos says "Bite me!"

12. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Does any person really call themselves a proponent of "order" here or in the game context? It seems like there are a lot of people willing to call themselves "chaos" devotees, but no one saying they are an "order" devotee per se. I guess maybe I'm setting it up for everyone to go after! Yikes.

13. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Is that an order? ;) Or am I still free to do the unexpected and not bite you?

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Who said anything about society, though? Does chaos philosophy fall apart when you're living alone on an island and there's nobody you can say "bite me" to? Is it a lonely philosophy that needs people to be a foil to in order make it valuable?

All virtue is about the self, not society. And if I can't choose to be who I am, and become a different person if I so choose, and maybe a better person, then its not much of a philosophy of freedom. :>

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Amber Raine

.. Can you prove i chose to do this? or did it just happen? You may come to expect me to just act instead of thinking things through, I will agree with this, as it is how I am. However, what said action is, is left to the unknown, for even before the action takes place I do not even know what will happen, it just does, the there is no thinking involved, therefore there are no lines, there are no pre - ordered decisions. It just is.

Trenyc - of which direction were you pointing this? before i make comment?

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

We are each of us free to be who we be. That is what makes us the freest of free.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

At Vyrinor. :)

Vyrinor, Time Lord and Amberraine like this.
  18. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

They're out there. There's not much to say about Order just yet, though, since there is no game yet. Chaos is more interesting because it's not as well understood by most people. :)

19. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Interesting thought exercise there.

So, if one defines "chaotic" action as a nonconformity to existing/known rules, then if one is the only person defining those rules how can one be chaotic ?

Does a follower of Chaos choose to be nonconforming to rules that are no longer being imposed on them from an outside entity ? Or do they simply make up arbitrary rules simply to act out against them ?

Perhaps they could try to be nonconformist to the laws that nature is imposing upon them ? Eat the sand rather than the coconut. Talk to the rocks, and expect an answer back. :)

Vyrinor likes this.
  20. Amber Raine

You can do what ever it is you wish to do, infact perhaps it may be in the opinion of others that you do not bite me. Are you contagious?

Words used: choose - already stated what is , is. what happens, happens. Where is this choose?
    Virtues are about self and not society - Virtues? ... what Virtues? No seriously, i do know what they *are*, my question is am i supposed to care either way?
    different person - i am a different person daily, that is the best thing about the path i follow. When you think you know me, i may change, or i may stay the same, no one knows.

But for both of you i should re-direct you to my first couple posts -- i **Did** say.. it is a paradox. There needs to be "orderly" things. orderly and Order are seperate. such is the same as chaotically and Chaos. It is a balance.. one can not exist without the other and both need each other to remain what they are. An Army of Chaos still needs some form of order or they will begin to kill each other, which yes can still happen especially if you do not like your neighbour and he bites his nails wrong, however to successfully not be wiped out in the process, some form of order is required as soldiers are given direction to follow. . does not mean they always will.. but it is there to *try* to keep from being completely wiped out.

However, so to can it be said of Order. Why make virtues to follow, laws to abide by, directions to give, and ways to do things. IF there is no one to question any of it? Order needs Chaos. Perhaps in that stance.... I can say in return to someone of the Order saying "You are Order"... one can say "Order you are Chaos"

Noctiflora and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.