Disappointed so far

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Galdivar, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tamino

tamino Avatar

For context, Richard Garriot's last few games failed and many of us are a little leery of history repeating itself.

fumblefingers likes this.
  2. tamino

tamino Avatar

Haha, funniest thing I've read on these forums so far.

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  3. Galdivar

Galdivar Avatar

Anthelstan sorry im not having a bad day but I find that Richard Garriot lacks humility. He sure likes to talk about himself. And I am not lying if he screws this up it'll be game over, its a matter or simple observation.

And yes I know its early in the game history, lets hope everything turns out good. I even convinced a friend or two who never played UO to pledge.

4. tamino

tamino Avatar

They can never take our UO. UO still exists as a game today in many forms and will always exist in our hearts and minds. Many of us will go on to make our own games and show them how it's really done. I've already started on that a long time ago. What about you?

With regard to SotA, I've been keeping track of it since it was that letter about the Ultimate RPG and, as you know, back then Richard Garriot was planning to make a mobile/Facebook/social game which I believe would have been a dire mistake. Since then, the direction has improved a little bit, but I still think they're going in the wrong direction and I'll keep trying to push them to go back to their real roots as creators of worlds.

fumblefingers and G Din like this.
  5. Father Aquila

Father Aquila Avatar

I have faith and like the direction the game is going. I already met some great community members (shout out to the PaxLair crew and of course the Bear Tavern). I believe it will be the players that make the game, and so far it has exceeded my expectations - cannot wait to meet them all again.

6. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

You should meet purple llama! ;)

7. tamino

tamino Avatar

Mark my words, the next truly great game in the vein of UO will be a VR game and it will make UO look like child's play.

VR and emergent gameplay will be the major trends in gaming for the next few decades.

Games like Shards Online and possibly SotA can be a fun distraction in the mean time.

fumblefingers likes this.
  8. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

The "older gamers" appreciate what the original Ultimas offered. And what graphics lacked back then was made up by imagination. That combined with game content made for an immersive world. It was like reading a novel in that sense

9. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

There's a very big difference. People got what the level called for where dukes did not.

Did you pay $5000? Cause if you didn't you really don't understand. It's not, a got a boat that I was promised but I don't like it. It's I was promised an island castle and have not got it.

Archibald Leatherneck and tamino like this.
  10. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

The first is again the same argument. The second... ah! This conversation is about the money? I'm not going to speak about that, but I'm smart enough to understand even If I paid 1$ or one million. Must be llama super powers. ;)

11. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Of course it's about money. I paid and now due to their inactivity my pledge is no longer worth what a baron 3 paid. Of course I want it to maintain the value I paid for it. If you're OK with losing significant value to your pledge then I'd say you're not playing with your own money.
    And again, it's about getting what I paid for.

12. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Raziel, welcome to the community. You seem unhappy with the direction of the game, but can you please clarify what specifically you're not happy with?

FWIW, I think Richard Garriott, Starr Long and everyone involved are trying to make a game that will appeal to both fans of the classic single player games and UO players as well.

docdoom77 and Noctiflora like this.
  13. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

You have now the forum market for that. ;)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  14. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Avatar

While criticism is welcome, its hard to address your generalizations. Care to elaborate?

Just for the record, WoW is not the only 3rd-person non-fixed perspective game (nor the first), crafting has nothing in common, WoW does not use a Limited Action Set / Deck system, WoW doesn't have housing, WoW doesn't have personal NPC vendors, you NEVER have to read the quests in WoW, etc, etc

I agree SotA looks more true-medieval, but WoW is completely stylized.

Silent Strider, Kaisa and Noctiflora like this.
  15. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Actually I dont know what WoW and SotA have in common. We still cannot choose pandas as playable race, right? :p

Lord Baldrith and Kaisa like this.
  16. enderandrew

Not until Episode 3.

17. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

[​IMG]

18. enderandrew

Ranma!

Silent Strider and Eriador like this.
  19. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Which has nothing to do with what we're talking about. I don't want to sell my account. I do want it to retain it's value but thanks to portalarium that value has plummeted.

Archibald Leatherneck and tamino like this.
  20. enderandrew

I think that is a matter of taste. I think the Duke Island Castle home is nothing short of amazing. I'm insanely jealous of it.

You've invested a huge chunk of money into the development of the game and I also really appreciate that. I'm all for throwing huge lots and insane houses at Dukes and Lords of the Manor to reflect their contribution to the game. I know some call this pay to win, but a castle doesn't make you win the game. It won't make you duel better in PvP or finish quests faster. It is still a vanity purchase in the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.