Disappointed so far

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Galdivar, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maxe

Maxe Avatar

I agree =)
    Hopefully there will be months or even years of gameplay available for everyone, even the ones taking a narrow path in SotA life such as devoting all their play-time to decorating.
    But as I (try to) explain in my thread here, PvP is for me the only game aspect with infinite longevity.. There will be a time, where you've collected all decorations, killed the toughest mobs, crafted the best items etc.

2. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

so? Tetris and snake on the old phones weren't PVP. Hell the original Ultima games weren't PVP. They are all single player games and yet people still play them over and over again, otherwise no one would had cared about this Kickstarter because the series would have been forgotten about. I would counter your argument and say that player created content (challenges, quests etc) with NO PVP would be far more effective end game content than PVP is.

Mata, Silent Strider, Joviex and 3 others like this.
  3. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I totally agree with you Asguard!

Mata likes this.
  4. Maxe

Maxe Avatar

Honestly I don't understand where this viewpoint comes from. I don't know anyone who plays Tetris or Snake or Wonderboy in Monsterland or old Ultimas anymore. They were cool back then, now they offer me nothing cause gaming has evolved. Must be some seriously nostalgic and/or extremely casual gamers who still play those games.
    A MMO has to be aimed at people playing as much as possible imo, not at ppl who play 10mins on the phone while on the bus.
    Player made content that's viable for playing all day long, every day? ..I doubt it.

5. High Baron Asguard

you want to bet on that?
    On a site for crowd funding a spiritual successor for ultima you want to bet there is no one who plays ultima? :p

Silent Strider and NRaas like this.
  6. Maxe

Maxe Avatar

Fixed it for you :p

7. Tay M'real

Tay M'real Avatar

I can see where the original comments were coming from.

Typically, the long-lasting aspect in today's gaming market (and alot of your advertising) is around the online or multiplayer component. Playing against other people livens the game and allows through the simple unexpected nature of what another human being will do. PvP plays a critical role in the balancing and improvements simply due to the players that will develop methods and strategies that the developers and AI simply cannot.

Yes, PvP is only (1) aspect but one that I think needs to be given more respect from the community. Whether you wish to partake or not, there are some players who aren't interested in wedding attire and house add-ons etc...

I'm not a hardcore PvP at all; am not very good at it to boot. However, it adds an element that creates excitement knowing that something could quickly change on my next adventure out of town.

If that philosophy is continued, SoTA will simply become UO with a new skin.

Ferrus, tamino and Maxe like this.
  8. High Baron Asguard

Firstly Do not change quotes, its quite disingenuous

and secondly NO this is NOT the spiritual successor of UO, its the spiritual successor of Ultima. Thats what has been stated by the devs time and again since the start of Kickstarter. A world like U4, a story as deep as U7 and multiplayer like UO. Yes UO is in the mix but that is only 1 aspect, and when you employ a writer like Tracy Hickman the story is the main component. As far as the backers if I am being kind I would say its probably about a 50:50 distribution between the numbered Ultima games and UO, that said ever single poll I have seen on it has put the supporters of the single player games higher than those who played UO.

Silent Strider, NRaas, Kaisa and 2 others like this.
  9. Maxe

Maxe Avatar

tbh I sometimes feel like the old Ultima fan's voice is little too loud regarding SotA, cause if you look at it objectively - it's kinda like 100 obdurate casual gamers who played a bit of Ultima in high school in the 80s vs. thousands of hardcore gamers who played UO many hours a day over a span on several years - who would you cater if you were the game developer, aiming at financial success?

No doubt that the Ultima lovers have been loyal and devoted backers of this game, and I truly wish they get the rich RPG feel of the old Ultimas. Just don't underestimate the thousands and thousands of players who are currently lurking in the shadows and who aren't jumping on the SotA wagon until they know this game will provide what they seek - rich PvP.

It ceases to make sense for me when Ultima fans start advocating for no PvP at all, cause it isn't what they want.

Hopefully everyone will feel like SotA is a spiritual successor to their favourite Ultima game.

Ferrus and Betamox like this.
  10. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

^ I think the whole UO thing regarding this game is waaaaay overplayed and a bit on the ridiculous side sometimes. This game is not a sequel to UO, was never meant to be a UO clone and was never intended to mimic UO. I understand the popularity of that game and that players who loved it may wish for a sequel of sorts, but this is not it! If I remember correctly, LB called SotA a "spiritual successor" to Ultima; NOT to Ultima Online specifically, but to the Ultima universe as a whole. That doesn't mean it cant' have elements from both, but in my book it means this game, while adhering to the spirit of the franchise, will stand on its own.

Far too many backers are clamoring for a sequel to UO and this just isn't it. It gets a little tiresome logging into the forums and seeing comments like, "Why don't they do this like they did in UO" or "UO had free for all PvP, why doesn't this???". Shroud is a stand alone title!

Personally, I view SotA as a game set in the "Ultima universe", but as a sequel to nothing.

Silent Strider, Maxe, NRaas and 3 others like this.
  11. Galdivar

Galdivar Avatar

Funny. Far too many backers are asking to a succesor to UO but you know what? We should just ignore them, right?

It this game is going to have a single player mode, why the need to have the multiplayer culled down?

I mean if you loved the ultina series so much, and they were single player, then play as a single player. But if they plan to make it a multiplayer as well then its only reasonable it should be modeled after the only succesful multiplayer game they have created which happens to be Ultima Online.

Doesnt that make any sense?

I think far too many people here behave like children who dont want to let anyone else use their toys but expect everyone else to watch them play

Maxe and tekkamansoul like this.
  12. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Depends. Which part of Ultima Online? The first 2 out of 17 years, or the 15 out of 17 years that followed? As for why not play single player, RG spoke at great length many times about wanting to recreate the feeling & nostalgia of the single player experience of the Ultimas in an online multiplayer environment that people can play with others. That was the selling point for a lot of people. To dis all the people coming from the single player rpgs, and tell them they should play single player, is to dis RG's vision for SotA in my opinion. I don't know why this has to keep being said but this is not a successor to UO. It is a successor to the Ultimas with some UO elements. Anyone here looking for UO2, I'm afraid you're not going to find what you want. If it was going to be UO2, I'm pretty sure someone at Portalarium would have said so by now. And even if they were to say ok, it's now UO2, then I still have to ask which part?

As to calling people spoiled children for being happy with the team's current thinking, I think you have that backwards. I think it's those constantly harping on the team to change their direction that are the ones acting like spoiled children.

13. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Pleasure to meet you :). Now you just met one who has played the older Ultimas several times over. There are many more on this forum that have also played the older games several times over.

Silent Strider, Maxe, NRaas and 3 others like this.
  14. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

There is a very good reason. Since day one they have sold this as the spiritual successor of the Ultima series. Why should they change because people don't pay attention?

Silent Strider, NRaas, Kaisa and 4 others like this.
  15. adrazz

adrazz Avatar

The taming of animals especially Dragons, this was the ultimate for me in UO, being able to walk up to a smithy who would repair your armour for free, everyone hanging around Britannia bank that was kind of awesome. Being able to just walk and explore wherever you wanted to.

Mata, Kaisa and Lord Trenyc like this.
  16. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

I love the catch phrase "gaming has evolved". It's a good way of making one's own gaming preferences seem the most relevant. And simply being able to kill an opposing player 42 times in one night as opposed to killing 42 creatures does not make things more evolved. To use a modern game as an example, (because being a 38 year old original ultima series player, i wouldnt want to look like i'm living hopelessly in the past like lots on the forum seem to think we do) When dragon age came out it was a refreshing change of pace because it had an interesting plot, a great supporting cast, and well done companions. It also had for the most part enjoyable DLC. And oh god it was a single player game! Like a good novel it has to end. If the LOTR trilogy of books kept getting stretched further as the decades went on it wouldnt be the masterpiece that it is. The content would get tired and watered down and you get Ult8ma VII & IX. And i think in the gaming world stories and content should be given the same treatment and respect. But ii guess the "immediate gratification gamers" demand a constant enemy, a constant game, constant stimulation without regard for the direction the content is going. Sometimes less is just better

17. adrazz

adrazz Avatar

Gaming has evolved just like fiction has evolved, people want more and with most fantasy fiction they get more, just as most fantasy fiction is a trilogy or more, the Lord of The Rings was turned into a trilogy although it is really only one book, it is what people want, I am 46 years of age.

Single player games have there place as so MMO's but a game needs to be one or the other and not both.

18. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

I agree with you and yes the lotr was supposed to be one book, and was published given the success of the hobbit. And i understand that people want more but while great from a financial standpoint, stretching content dosent always mean better content

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

adrazz likes this.
  19. adrazz

adrazz Avatar

I do agree with you. On the game front however I don't, UO was brilliant and will probably never be replaced but it was endless in so many ways, most of all endless fun, why oh why they never made a UO 2 I will never know.

tamino likes this.
  20. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Let's be reasonable. If someone wants an exact clone of UO, they can play UO right now on production servers. Or they can play on free shards.

SotA will be a lot like UO, but it can't be a complete clone. I'm personally tired of the argument that if SotA is different from UO in any way, that means we're betraying all the backers who wanted UO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.