Disappointed so far

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Galdivar, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galdivar

Galdivar Avatar

I'm sorry to be critical, maybe I am one of those Ex-UO gamers that expected something different about this game, maybe not, I AM one of those UO-gamers that expected something different from this game.

My whole point is this.

Staff - You managed to raise 3mil dollars for this game, for a man who has not made a successful game in over a decade, where do you think that money came from? Does it make any sense to think that most of that money came from people who actually played UO and were expecting to have a similar experience? I hated WOW, never played it, I found it stupid, glittery and mass produced, and somehow I feel that this is going to be a sorta "medieval WOW".

Please stop to think on the direction this is going, so far I get the feel that a lot of people are expressing some deep wishful thinking that this game will eventually turn out good but underneath the mask there is a lot of resentment. I am not even sure how to make it better it just feels wrong.

Sorry

2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Thank you for voicing your opinion, we do appreciate another voice to the choir regardless of what tune they are singing.

Welcome to the community. :)

3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Welcome to the community.

I believe this game will be successful, from playing the releases I can honestly say I'm starting to enjoy it more and more.

Last Friday I logged in, placed a houses then decided that I wanted storage. I figured out what I needed to craft a storage box, then realised that I needed to purchase a part from a vendor......I had no gold. I then when out on a hunt to earn enough gold......an hour later I went back to Owls Head, purchased the part I needed, crafted the storage box. This feels so much like UO and it's great.

My only real fear for the game is the lack of real risk. The fact that you won't lose your items if you die feels a fairly risk free game. This fear is also echoed in what is currently proposed in PvP.

4. Floors

Floors Avatar

Welcome to the community !

Yes, I think you are right on that UO players are providing a disproportionate amount of money to the game than single player -

Single Player are older gamers, usually, who are content to just be able to play in Ultima again, or dream about what game they would like if the perfect modern ultima could be made.

UO appeals to a wider type of player base.

UO players are sometimes players who don't even care about Fantasy or Roleplaying too much, they just want some hardcore twitch thrill action in fighting real players.

These are generalizations, to be sure, but this is the basic truth of the matter.

I tend to agree with you, honestly. But there is still time left, and we have a pretty cool community here for the most part.

5. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

I gotta say, I am liking the game more and more with every pre-alpha release. That being said, my only big concern is that the devs may be trying too hard to be "everything to everyone". You just can't please everyone and I hope that LB stays true to his original vision for the game.

It's one thing to consider community feedback and improve upon the existing model for the game. It's another to try and please everyone. In doing that, the game will just be a jack of all trades, but master of none.

6. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

OP nothing wrong with not feeling the game is going in the right direction. However you need to realize the game is still in preAlpha. Which means we have seen very little of the game, it is still early in development. Giving more specific feedback would help to. What exactly would capture that UO feeling for YOU. Because remember not everyone played UO the same way.

adrazz, Luciferase, Ravenwing and 2 others like this.
  8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Um what? So, what should I get by reading this? That in your mind UO players have paid the most so they should get what they want in the game?

I'm a bit afraid of where this community is heading to be honest.

9. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Im not sure. I was UO player, like most of us, and Im more or less happy with the general idea. Even I feel that single play is not getting too much for now...

10. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Well and the problem is just because someone played UO doesn't mean they all played the same way. Not everyone who played UO was a hardcore pvper for instance. Many of them are yes, but plenty like to roleplay as well and craft and they love a good storyline and so on. So if they decide to listen to the UO players more then anyone else exactly which group of players should they listen to?

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

I'm actually a single player Ultima person myself.

But you know, UO was more successful than every single player Ultima combined, sales wise.

There's probably a good chance this game couldn't get made without the support from ex-UO players.

So with that in mind, I do think this game should have some aspects that appeal to them.

I've sort of been hopeful that this will be the case. Now I know for technical reasons we can't have single scale world

and as a Single Player, I don't want completely open PVP to derail my experiences crafting and selling armor and weapons either...

But I do hope the UO players bring some PvP excitement and energy and we can all... get along ?

Is that too much to ask hahah :)

12. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

How can you hate a game you never played? I avoided WoW the first year or 2 it was out, because I figured it didn't look like a game I'd like (Original UO player, and FF 11). Someone let me use his account and I decided I'd give it a whirl. It was actually fun. played it off and on ever since. I don't care for the game anymore. I'd like to go back and play servers that are a fixed up version of vanilla, burning crusade, or WoTLK. But i doubt that will happen anytime soon. I haven't liked any of the expansions since cataclysm.

I'll also remind you that most of the planned features aren't in yet, it is very much an early state of a work in progress. The differences from the crowd at this point will appear minor, but as they expand on systems before launch you'll see how far it stands apart from other games.

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Some people think that the success of SotA is due to the UO players who contribute more to the game, other players think it is the single player fans who contribute more because if you take a look at Kickstarter games, the most successful games have been old school single player games whereas MMOs tend to often not even meet their initial goal and don't get funded...

I believe that the game would not have been possible without the contribution of both groups and therefore the game will be both - a single player RPG and an MMORPG.

14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

When I kickstarted the game...I kickstarted what was said on the kickstarter page...not what I thought someone should get or what I thought I could change there to get. I mean, it's great to want certain things, but to expect it to be that way because I backed something else is improbable. There will be parts that will appeal to them, or at least their should be....

A lot of the complaints so far have been for things basically known from the start if you did any reading or research before backing.

15. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I most wholeheartedly disagree with you, tradyblix ! I believe that most backers are, in fact older gamers who, like myself, have found memories of the original Ultima games, who may never played Ultima Online at all. Quite frankly, players such as myself are in interested in a rich, roleplaying experience, NOT some sort of kill fest. What makes you think that UO appeals to a wider type of player base?

16. Floors

Floors Avatar

Just as long as there's no paper map eh Lord Darkmoon :D

17. Mardrov

Mardrov Avatar

I can't say I disagree with you, but I do am enjoying the evolution through the releases and can see some hard work been done each month. Yes, there are a lot of features I was (and actually still am) expecting to be in game, but I am waiting for it to be more advanced to actually be able to say that this is yet another WOW style mmo (which, by the way, I hated a lot). UO was a unique mmo, no other ever got even close to such idea, and I must say I would be more than excited if SotA followed it's steps. What we have to take into consideration at this moment is that this is yet a small pice of a big cake, so we might still see neat advances in those features, or at least this is what I am wishing for :)

18. Floors

Floors Avatar

Oh, just the type of game that it is, the fact I've seen a lot of you know, UO player types, meaning, heavy PvP centric players come onto the forums hoping it's the next UO and then after they play starting threads like.... this one !

Hahaha.

The Ultima series of games came out in the 8o's. I played ultima in the 4th grade. You can do the math. There are even older players, for sure... up to 80 I believe.

I knew this game wasn't going to be a pure single player game, so I didn't come to it with expectations it was going to be like either, but more something that is hybrid.

I can do my town roleplaying and armorer role, and when I get sick of that, I can go kill some PvP griefers.... sounds fun to me !

We're not really far enough along yet to see what it's going to be. We need to see PvP, the 3D map and the full world map pretty soon to figure out how it will all "feel".

fumblefingers likes this.
  19. dp_dropout

dp_dropout Avatar

Some of the generalizations in this thread are ridiculous.
    Uhh... I played Ultima 4 to 8 (9 as well, was a mess, never finished it). As soon as I had internet I bought UO, moved to Trammel when it opened and never PvP'ed again in my life.
    It's not because I played UO for 4 years that I love PvP. It's not because I played the single-player Ultima's that I don't want a seamless world. I want the best of both worlds.

20. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

That is the beauty of the hybrid approach the developers have taken - appeal to all sorts of players by allowing them to select whether or not they want to be involved in PvP and not forcing them to choose to play either style exclusively :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.