1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

New Pledge Rewards, New Pledge Tiers, Player Owned Towns & Stretch Goal Store Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

I hear you, and agree, but only partially, I did smile.
    I fear a lot of non Dev+ might feel like they stumble in on a rather old debate that is raging (somewhat) on, I felt like the party simply went into another room.

As for incentive, in this case one could argue that the priviledge of several days of debating with dev feedback is incentive in itself.
    Or the tax free village +lots.

Maka, Time Lord and Isaiah like this.
  2. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I find the conversations interesting. Last month the forums are filled with posts saying, I want better houses, I want avatar to look better, give me things to buy so I help support the game, fix the graphics, fix the lighting, etc..) The Devs comply to our requests and now they are "building dollhouse stuff, not focusing on what's important, adding useless items, etc..."

I think they are working on the important stuff while at the same time trying to satisfy what is most important to them, us.

Anyway, sorry for my speil it just seems like everytime something changes, there are so many dissenting voices.

I think they are doing a great job so far but that's my opinion. I'll stop there, please continue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Lady Adnor, Arianna, Maka and 21 others like this.
  3. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

Well said!

Maka, Sir Cabirus, Amberraine and 5 others like this.
  4. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I see the dev+ debates have started where they were when the post was closed. Which is understandable.

There are a lot of good ideas being added here, and while I might have dine things slightly differently if I was a dev I think the overall direction is creative. The biggest change with the greatest impact is the row housing which lowers the barriers to entry into the housing market. It means player run inns and p2p renting is less crucial, but that isn't a bad thing.

Meaningful and focussed player towns are now more likely (already possible but high barriers to entry).

Also someone crazy us trying to organize the first player run city:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-city-with-a-crafting-and-trading-theme.11472

Madness. ;-)

Maka, Time Lord, rild and 2 others like this.
  5. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

With all these options to buy items, equipment, race, pets,house, basement, crafting stations, town and even a city and more,

do you not fear that players no longer have anything to do once the game launched?

It remains only to contemplate our purchases?

It would be nice to keep some goals to do in the game.

I'd like to have your perception or opinion on this.

Thank you.

Phredicon, Caliya, cariac and 3 others like this.
  6. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I forgot.

I have a lot of interest in these points.

• Castles & Keeps effectively a new "Town Type", where the structure is ownable by players or guilds
    • Guilds can declare war against other guilds
    • Guilds can declare as full time PVP
    • Guilds can earn a guild house and guild bank
    • Guild Tabbard/Shield/Flags useable by all members
    • Minimum of 5 castle types added to the game
    • Castle merchants with unique merchandise
    • Castle defense scenarios for most castles which can be played offline as well as online

Before developing other STRETCH GOAL, think you can ensure the development of those already achieved ?

Thanks You !

7. Orion Astrium

Orion Astrium Avatar

Do we know how big each player community will be yet.
    I would like to put on outpost/watchtower at each of the corners of the scene.
    Any idea how far how that would be from the town center?
    Hopefully, we will get some nice stone or wood watchtowers in the store too. :)

8. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

For me the story and progressing through it, is the goal, as well as living in New Britannia and becoming a trades person with a shop. This is a game with a story that has a beginning and an end, with 5 episodes planned. (so far). By the time the story ends, I would presumably have acquired all the little conveniences anyway. With the pledge rewards, I won't have to be distracted from the story to obtain them.

9. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

If you feel this way then don't buy them, earn them. You have that right.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Maka, Time Lord, Isaiah and 4 others like this.
  10. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Not true at all. The biggest issues are:
    1) The continued pledge tiers and focus on bought vs earned housing
    2) The fact that towns are now bought vs earned.
    3) The fact that more emphasis is being placed on lot selection, rather than having housing location be fluid.

These make the game static. That's the problem. As I said before, it removes the mechanics and motivation from the game.

G Din and Cabrens like this.
  11. Cabrens

Cabrens Avatar

@ Darkstarr

Could you specify how long will be the decay free time frame before a rent free row lot decays?

Since a citizen village lot was meant to last 5 month and each tier level vas giving one month more, in my calculation, an ancestor free plot would last 2 month, twice the time of a normal rent paying plot...Can you confirm this?

Time Lord likes this.
  12. charock

charock Avatar

The housing does not interest me.

Will you work on something else soon ?

Exemple, pvp.

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

My perception is this isn't even a tip of the iceberg. When we get in-game the world will be our playground. Everything is there, this is fundraising and we are a very small portion of who will be playing the game. Mostly those who will be playing will know very little about all of what it took during game development, and very likely there will be many more who do not care one tiny bit to the fact that we argued our hearts out for the mount that is in-game persistently and ride able and he/she goes to a stable, or even that there is a stable, or that their avatar is way, way better looking than it might have been and on and on. So this is the process it is taking to make this game the best it can be. So some People will go from negativity to positivity, and back and forth. I take it like this is our destiny, well since I chose it. I for one am gladly here til the end, or should I say until game time. **** woo hoo**** ****Cheers****

14. cariac

cariac Avatar

I do not like the side ''Buy whatever you want''.

Caliya, G Din and Abydos like this.
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

What's your pledge level, Charock?

16. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

R12 I believe. You have another 6 months to go on that. Or is it R11? 5 months? either way. They are working on it, there is a post on the matter, you can discuss it in there.

pvp is relatively simple to implement. Balance, making it fun, giving it meaning is the challenging and time consuming. that will mostly come in Beta. quite a ways off from that. you can't balance a system until everything is in place to balance. that includes full combat mechanics which is why it can't come in till after full combat mechanics are in, which will be spread out over the next 4 or 5 releases.

17. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

"Not true at all, as I see it" FTFY. It is an opinion, not hard fact.

18. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I like your comment.

And I give you a ''like'' :)

Maka, Time Lord, rild and 1 other person like this.
  19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The chance of being kicked out of a player owned town is definitely a draw back.

In dev+ I argued for the ownership of such towns. I said if I buy a town I want to be the owner or prince of that city state. Period! However I never really gave much thought about living in a town that somebody else owned! That's a problem, because I would never want to live in a town where I could get kicked out for upsetting somebody. I am to confrontational (in a non-professional environment). Even in a professional environment I cannot help, but point out the obvious. However in this game I'm certain I will step on some toes because I have a tendency to be blunt, and fight against social norms.

That means you can count me out of helping with fundraising for a guild based player owned town. With the current system only one person owns the town.

(Even though I argued in Dev+ for owning a town if I bought it, I also strongly argued for having a community based town where we could pool our pledge value toward a much more expensive town). They originally wanted the player run towns to be a pledge greater than LOTM price. I hoped that a middle ground could be met where we could combine our pledges toward the town and then we all get a part ownership of the town, and therefore we all have some kind of voting ability so one person doesn't have ABSOLUTE Power and can kick you out of your lot without coming to some kind of 2/3rd vote or something. (number of votes per person equal to pledge value). Albeit there was some virtue to my proposal, but there were some serious bugs to iron out to implement it. That's why I also advocated for ditching the idea until somebody comes up with a way to govern the player run towns, and/or allow a plurality of ownership.

There is going to be a reason to need to be able to kick somebody out of a private town though. What if they were in the guild, but switched guilds in the middle of a guild war. You don't want that guy to have access to your town.

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

They already stated Guilds can definitely declare war against other guilds, and guilds can declare as full time PvP. That's written so solidly that I think you can lawyer them and they won't get pissed. I seriously doubt they will deny the guild PvP, because that would be worse than ... forget it. They will have those first two.

However the 5 Castle types would be great to see.
    so would the other stretch goals on that list.

I think the Castle defense scenerios will probably be something they will work on much later. We don't even have a combat system yet.

Abydos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.