Tell me about your gaming computer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Retro, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770, 4x 3.40GHz •
    RAM: 8GB •
    Harddrive: 1TB HDD + 120GB SSD • opt,DVD+/-RW DL •
    Grafik: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770, 2GB, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort • Anschlüsse: 4x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0, Gb LAN,
    Windows 8.1 64bit •

2. Retro

Retro Avatar

I'll take a shot at this but it really depends on your budget... "budget" has many interpretations.

I would describe this as a future proof "budget" build, great gaming experience now, with a high degree of future proofing.

There is LOTS of room for costs savings with this build (AMD cpu, less RAM 8, R280 or R290 video card, 850W power supply, 1080P "gaming" monitor or Korean knock-off IPS panel, mid-tower case etc...)

However as configured you have an easy upgrade path, just add a second video card when they become dirt cheap for some 2560x1440 gaming glory.

Notes:
    Keyboard, mouse, headphones and speakers are very personal so I didn't include them, but I can make suggestions upon request

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.97 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
    Motherboard: Asus H87-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($110.88 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($147.98 @ Amazon)
    Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate SV35.5 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($90.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($489.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.99 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($489.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $2077.76
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-17 19:29 EDT-0400

3. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Nice build but not one I'd say was "budget" by any stretch of the imagination. I do agree with your cost savings options and the 2nd Gfx down the road. Along with http://pcpartpicker.com/ that Retro and I both linked to, I also suggest looking at http://www.logicalincrements.com/ to get a sense of what is at/around your price point for the parts you want. Also, PCPartpicker is a great resource to find sales; you can favorite the parts you like and set email alerts when they drop below a certain point, which is easy to see on the historical price graph.

4. Nephrite

Nephrite Avatar

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CPzGnQ

I'm in the market for a new gaming PC. I put this one together and I -THINK- I made sure everything is compatible, but I'd be pretty bummed if I messed up and couldn't get a working machine out of what I ordered. If anyone wants to give this a once-over, I'd be extremely grateful. I want something that can play games on at least close to max settings that I can hold onto for a few years at least.

Royou Vengeance, Time Lord and Retro like this.
  5. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

The one i posted was budget.
    900 $.

It is for players who cant build a computer and want one that can run current games high end.

But watch yourself. They explain better

By the way, SSD is now included.

6. smack

smack Avatar

My initial reaction is that you've got a really beefy card that may be bottlenecked because of the gimpy cpu. If you can shell out another $100 to upgrade the cpu, I'd highly recommend it. If not, just make sure you have a motherboard that can support future cpu upgrades because I think you'll eventually need it.

7. Retro

Retro Avatar

Not a bad build at all...a few questions and minor nitpicks.

Questions:
    1.) What resolution do you plan on gaming at?
    2.) Do you play a lot of 3D intensive games? (which ones?)
    3.) Do you plan on playing Star Citizen?
    4.) Why the 1000W power supply do you plan on upgrading to an SLI configuration in the future? (2 video cards)

Nitpicks:
    1.) At the 320USD price range the R280x is probably the better video card for the money.
    2.) If the purpose of that 1000W PSU is to eventually add a second video card, you probably want to go with a AMD Crossfire solution over and Nvidia SLI solution only because you went with a AMD CPU\Mobo\Chipset.
    3.) If you aren't planing on adding a second video card, and even if you are, you probably wouldn't need greater than 850W for dual Nvidia GTX 760, 770 or R280x (and maybe 290), 1000W PSU are for the big boys, R290X\780 + in crossfire\sli.
    4.) Switch the Hard Drive to a small SSD drive for the OS, then get a small 1 or 2 TB storage drive...for some reason a 250GB HDD is listed...lol circa 2006 :)
    5.) If you plan on going SLI later (2 x 760GTX's) it's going to be hard to find that same higher clocked\added memory card video (evga superclock), 2x standard GTX 760 would be a better bet for compatibility and value, the higher clocked card will probably just get down-clocked anyway.
    6.) Not a fan of the Micro ATX form factor unless I'm purposely building a really small system.
    7.) Unless you plan on playing at really high resolutions 1920x1200+, or Watchdogs with ultra textures 4MB of video memory is wasted.

Also this...
    Other than that looks good...

8. Nephrite

Nephrite Avatar

I plan on gaming at 1920x1080, (38" TV), probably not much in the way of 3D intensive games, at least none right now.
    No Star Citizen for me, I'm more of a fantasy fan. (But I admit the graphics look really impressive.)
    As for the power supply, yes, when finances allow I would like to get a second video card.

I'll make some tweaks to my build and maybe repost just to make sure you guys think everything looks right.

I really appreciate this. <3

9. Nephrite

Nephrite Avatar

10. Retro

Retro Avatar

Maybe something like this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
    CPU: AMD FX-4350 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: A-Data XPG V2 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($50.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Constellation ES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($60.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($85.87 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W 80+ Silver Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1066.77
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-18 02:37 EDT-0400

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NxN9t6

If you click on the Mobo you selected and most of the AMD based motherboards it says SLI support = No, but they do support Crossfire...

11. Retro

Retro Avatar

Decent system for a pre-built, However I don't like the video card and it looks like there is no room for expansion, a more fair comparison to what I parted out above would be the system beside it for 1349.00...Although it's a tiny bit more powerful (debatable) it costs more and there is no clear upgrade path. (and building is fun)

Not really a fan of pre-built's, although that Acer system Myrcello mentioned above was not bad at all.

Yeah I agree it's more of a "modest" (judging by some of the systems in this thread) gamer future proof fun now, fun later system for a good number of years...

If you live in the USA there is no excuse not to build your own system especially using the tools listed above. You lucky bastards get free shipping and amazing prices for everything online. :) Not to mention the amazing interest free credit!!! (Newegg preferred account, drools...) I would own a R9 290x2 if I had this much spending power.

Royou Vengeance and Time Lord like this.
  12. stile

stile Avatar

Window 7 ultinate 64 bit

Asus x79 mb

Intel i7 hex

32gig ddr 3 corsair vengance 1866

Pny overclocked gtx 770 4gig graphics card

1100 watt modular power supply

Case is the cooler master cosmos Ii full size

H5i extreme liquid cool

Thats best i can list. Dont remember all the specific models off top of my head. Misc stuff:

Blu ray reader

Card reader added

256gig Ssd (one with decent specs)

3tb secondary sata 6 for video streaming

Primary monitor is a 42" LED TV

Second monitor is a decent specced 27"

13. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

You guys seem to like keeping a personal nuclear plant under your desks :D

I went the green route instead:
    - Intel Core i7-4770T (45W).
    - ASUS Mini-ITX H87I-Plus.
    - Mushkin Blackline Low-Voltage RAM 8 GB DDR3 1600.
    - Gigabyte NVidia GTX 750 Ti (60W).
    - Zalman passive cooler FX100.
    - Zalman T4 case (completely fanless, I added some copper sheets for extra cooling efficiency).
    - Zalman Gaming Keyboard and Mouse.
    - BeQuiet! PSU 80 Gold 92% efficiency (400W).
    - BenQ GL2460 24" 1080p Monitor, mercury-free, BFR/PVC-free (23W).
    - Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 (0.2W - 5.5W).
    - SanDisk SSD SDSSDP-064G-G25 as Cache with Intel RST (50mW).

In the end I get full FPS in any games I've played so far at highest resolution, while consuming less power than my ground floor's light bulbs.

GO GREEN!

14. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I'm impressed at your lack of fans - what kind of temps do you run at when pushing the CPU and GPU?

15. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

It's almost never in your best interest to buy a prebuilt machine if you are comfortable assembling your own. I definitely recommend building your own anytime this topic comes up.

Some general guidelines:
    • If you need to skimp on a core part for budget reasons, cut back on everything. There's no sense getting 32GB of RAM or a splendiferous graphics card if some other part of your computer is going to bottleneck you anyway, since the next time you look at buying a motherboard or processor, odds are you'll either have to or really want to buy all-new other components for it too for compatibility reasons or just because it's time to upgrade.
    • The main exception is the hard drive. An SSD is ideal but not necessary. You definitely want an SSD at some point, but you'll be able to game just fine on a traditional HDD if storage space is more a concern for you than loading times.
    • Absolutely positively do not try to wiggle your way out of a good PSU. A good power supply is critical to the long term stability of your components. Note that a "good" PSU does not necessarily mean a big and beefy PSU. You do not need 1,000W for the way you described you'll be using the machine. 750W might be a better option, since it's a sweet spot for pricing and will give you plenty of space to tack on powered peripherals with the components you'll likely be using.
    • For RAM, you can start low and upgrade later pretty easily. I'd still recommend starting at 8GB if you can afford it, since that should be your short term gaming target anyway.
    • For processor and motherboard, this bears repeating: don't plan on pulling the ol' switcheraoo. Get strong components for these from the get-go, as these parts are the foundation upon which the rest of your build is built.
    • Liquid cooling is not necessary, especially if you never plan to overclock. Air cooling is a bit cheaper and just as effective for many builds (not all!), especially if you grab a few extra fans and know how to set them up.
    • A 4GB graphics card almost certainly won't benefit you much (if at all) over a 2GB card. Also, SLI is more likely to bring you headaches than it is to provide a meaningful benefit. If budget is an issue, plan to stick to one card and upgrade that when necessary. This will net you a much better performance to cost ratio over the long haul.
    • Lastly, if you do want to overclock, consider getting a nicer case. Bigger cases allow better cable management and air flow setups, both things that are fantastic benefits for the extra $50-$150 you might spend on the case.

Here's an Ivy Bridge build I whipped up real quick for you. I didn't take a lot of time to compare prices, so you could probably do better. Still, this is only about $100 more than your AMD build, and it's got some much safer part choices in it. :)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bWpWBm

16. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

I've been monitoring this with RealTemp.

Idle: around 30 Celsius.
    Office applications: around 45 Celsius.
    Last time I've monitored Crysis 2 Maximum Edition on Ultra settings, it ran at 68 to 71 Celsius - which is actually pretty hot which is why I am modding the case with copper sheets.

P.S.: SotA on Fantastic settings is stable around 58-60 Celsius.

17. Retro

Retro Avatar

This is a sweet rig, what resolution do you play SC at?

18. Retro

Retro Avatar

[​IMG]

What do you play \ do with this magnificent display of gaming power?!? (besides "Anything I want" :))
    Do you have a ram drive setup on this system? Do you play SC?

What a beast and still lots of room for upgrades...(video cards, LCD's)

19. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

That's like a down payment on a house. What the heck do you do with that beast?

20. Hayate

Hayate Avatar

Good machine, sometimes you just got to enjoy games on those ultra settings at 60fps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.