1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

ewww ganks

2. Owain

Owain Avatar

What does full loot have to do with ganking?

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  3. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Playing devil's advocate, creating economic gains for killing defenseless players sharply increase the incentive to do exactly that. Thus, ganking.

I'm not sure how to actually implement that, but IMHO finding some mechanism to sharply reduce the PvP gains (and loses for the defeated players) for encounters that were never challenging — for example, a large group killing a solo player, or a fight with a large level disparity — might be a good idea. Perhaps with a system that allows the more powerful player or group to accept a handicap, bringing the power disparity down, and in so doing increase what they can earn.

As a simple example, if a solo player is defeated by a group of five players, the amount those players could loot might be reduced to just 10% of the usual amount due to the lack of challenge; but if, instead, just one player of the larger group challenged their solo target and killed him, without the other players interfering, the usual amount could be looted. This is just an idea, but I think it would promote (without forcing) fairer, and more fun, PvP.

Ned888 likes this.
  4. Owain

Owain Avatar

If you are defenseless, you have no business flagging for Open PvP/Full Loot.

PvP is a combat simulator, and Open PvP is a large scale combat simulator. Don't destroy the purpose of the mode because you don't like to lose gear. If you don't like to lose gear, there are many options available to you. For those who want the most realistic combat simulation, there is only one option. Open PvP/Full Loot.

A solo player on a battlefield all by his lonesome has made a particularly poor choice, and should face the consequences for his poor decision making. The game should not shield him from the consequences of his actions.

Concentration of force and overwhelming force have been basic principles of warfare for thousands of years. It would be a terrible combat simulation that would ignore that.

DizzySol likes this.
  5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

PVP is not a combat simulator any more then PVM or any fantasy rpg.....it's a video game. It is not even close to real combat.

Silent Strider and Ned888 like this.
  6. Owain

Owain Avatar

It is as close as will be offered in SotA. We'll take what we can get. If you don't want to participate, it won't affect you, will it?

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Never said I wouldn't. I just didn't agree with what you think PVP is. I have been part of combat, and trust me...pvp is not like it at all.

Your last line wasn't needed.

Ned888 likes this.
  8. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

What Rune said.

My point of view when looking at a game, be it SotA or any other game that I might weight on, is that the main objective is to be engaging. Which usually (though not always) means being fun. Realism, for me, is just one more tool in achieving that, and as such should only be used when it improves — or, at least, does not hamper — player engagement.

That was the intent of my suggestion. I always found PvP fights with overwhelming odds to offer absolutely no engagement, no fun. For me, particularly, they simply harm the game without adding anything. So, a system to instigate players to balance the fights more by themselves, without forcing them to do so, seems to me like something purely positive.

It would also better reflect the "risk versus reward" mantra many players keep repeating; it would only reduce the rewards for relatively risk-less fights, with the overpowering force able to choose how much risk they are willing to take in order to restore their rewards. For the weaker side it should also reduce the negative psychological effect of the loss, since the more imbalanced the fight — and, thus, unavoidable the result — the lower their losses.

Beno Ledoux, Womby and Jambot like this.
  9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Pointing out that from what I have read, everyone had a ball in R8 with the pvp. Unbalanced, no looting, mediocre gear. I am not convinced that looting will make any difference in the fun of the game in the long run. With no looting, the genre will be honored with my participation too. I can deal with resurrection, and/or associated penalties, even the occasional res-killing/ganking and etc. I do hope that there will be random hex entrance locations so important hex areas can be entered without encountering a welcoming party when your computer has you stalled while it loads the environment. Random entrances at least let you get your feet on the ground and active before receiving electricity, fire, and who knows what else rained down on your poor defenseless avatar.

10. Owain

Owain Avatar

That is not up to you.

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

And here we finally have an admission of the real reason people want full loot. They want to farm their opponents to make a living. It's not about challenge, it's not about risk, it's not about the adrenaline rush of maybe losing your stuff, it's about being able to maximize profits and make as much profit as possible with the least amount of effort.

12. Owain

Owain Avatar

Even though it will annoy rune_74, it has to be said. If you don't feel Open PvP/Full Loot will be engaging, don't participate in Open PvP/Full Loot. Really. Allow those who find it engaging to be engaged. You have plenty of other opportunities. Avail yourself of them.

13. Owain

Owain Avatar

It may be the real reason for some, but it's not for me. Full Loot effectively removes a person from the field until they restock. It has a tactical purpose.

It also has a strategic purpose in a guild war in that over time, it serves to drain the resources of the rival guild.

But if some player, somewhere, just really wants to loot your crap, that's the way he chooses to play the game. What is it to you, particularly if you choose not to participate.

Are you the a member of the Gate Etiquette Police?

Vendetta Beretta likes this.
  14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

No, I appreciate honesty, and trumped up stories touting the thrill of the fight, and the adrenaline rush have always seemed to me to be disingenuous. I appreciate someone finally coming out an speaking truth rather than trying to blow smoke.

15. Owain

Owain Avatar

Honesty. Really? OK, if you say so.

16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Let's try and not make this personal ok? Your first line wasn't needed.

The only issue I have with full loot is that this is a gateway topic to trying to force basic equipment so people won't want to lose it. Great for competative PVP not so great for gameplay. I have stated many times I don't want WoW gear, but i don't want basic gear either. There is a inbetween.

Mishri likes this.
  17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It affects the economy by providing the PvP Proficient with a method to acquire wealth with a level of effort far below the effort required by the Crafters to create the items originally. This relatively low level of effort, and maximized rate of gaining inventory provides them the ability to undercut the prices of the crafters who acutually produce items, rather than farm them for resale.

It affects me, even if I don't choose to participate.

18. Owain

Owain Avatar

Full Loot supports crafters. When players restock, they buy new gear from...crafters. Without full loot, gear turnover is far slower, driven by wear and tear alone.

19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

This is true ONLY if the captured loot is stored and never put up for resale.
    With resale (and why wouldn't there be resale?) the ONLY driver is the repair and replacement of equipment too damaged to repair.

Are you claiming that captured equipment isn't resold? If so, then you're passing up a golden opportunity, and I'd like an explanation why.

Mishri, Silent Strider and Ned888 like this.
  20. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

There are very fun messages in this threat.

:D

No looT, no fun, no pvp.

Plz loot me when i am dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.