Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Release 8 Hangout of the Avatar Questions and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by FireLotus, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

The current deck system requires more skill than a static hotbar... a static hotbar it's a game of memory and reflex... this system it's a game of recognition, reaction, memory, and reflex. That's my two cents!

That would defeat half the battle in building decks... you need to balance your cards so your heals and defensive abilities pop at the right time and the ones you can't live without should be locked in noble slots. That's my two cents!

:)

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  2. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Well not really, you just have an idea where on the screen they appear, you now have say 4 slots on 1 side that are always attack & 2-3 on other side that are always defense. The timers are still across the board. You just know where what type will appear. More Sorted.

*edit. That was supposed to quote the other section....

Joviex likes this.
  3. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I guess that would be muscle memory then..lol

4. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Exactly that setup, which has been suggested by a few different people.

The "random" mechanism still happens, you just happen to have a filter for card "types".

Attacks to one bar, random, or locked, etc... and defense to the other, random, lock, whatever setup you want.

Then at least you have the opportunity to either attack or defend, which is really the only choice you ever have in battle.

With this system completely "random" I either have to lock my defense or attack, or a few of them.

This would allow a more flexible setup, and most likely eliminate (for me) the need to lock anything, as I now would at least have a base choice in my next "maneuver" -- to attack or defend (retreat and advance are already options via movement).

5. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Disagree.

You want people to play the game, not "fight" or "battle in building decks"....

When did it get renamed CCG of the Avatar?

Most people on here, the hardcode players, the core 30kish backers, will march onward. The people you want to "get" are not them. They paid already.

You launch this on opening day and if any kind of demo mode is ever provided, you certainly do not want people having to fight the system they use to fight in the game.

And you know I also disagree about the random and selective locking.

I still do not understand how a "noble" slot/lock mechanism is some magical way to circumvent the randomness of battle i.e. locked slots == my skill? Then what does that really say about the rest of the deck? I know 5x fireballs, but since I didn't "skill" lock them, I am pretty skillless at using them if they never randomly come up?

Locked slots are a poor substitute for actual knowledge and application of skills.

6. smack

smack Avatar

Not necessarily just attack and defense, but to allow multiple styles simultaneously. More dynamic combat, more variety during combat. It does allow a little bit more control of your skills, but doesn't eliminate the chaos / randomness, which I'm in favor of. It does allow better organization of the plate spinning via hot bar splitting, but also doesn't eliminate it either.

You can swap decks now but it does incur a penalty to focus. So to counteract the ability to equip multiple decks without that penalty, this would come at the expense of more slugs in the decks. Since you're going to have deck minimums and if you don't have a ton of skill points to completely fill both decks, you'll be even more penalized with slugs in each deck than if you had put those skills in a single deck. We can even increase the deck minimums further if doing multiple deck combat to further balance this.

Gear is going to be an issue since you can only have one style of gear equipped. So like you wouldn't be able to equip one deck for blades and another deck for polearms. That would be useless and one of those skills is going to be unusable. This adds another element to complex deck builds that work together.

7. Gothic

Gothic Avatar

- people after few secs appear in a different place
    - some people are teleporting
    - I can't hit with melee abilities if target runs, when I ran on top of the target I couldnt hit but sometimes helped to be like 1 sec behind
    - or people hit me although they are not in melee range
    - I dont know what delay should have abilities but for example knockback was like 1-2 secs

? this is maybe some performace bug - sometimes when I died the game froze for 2-3 secs

and for the next release we need some visual display of global cooldown and when we can cast another spells so it's easier to tell how much laggy the game is

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  8. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I looked up your connection location from the last play weekend and tried doing to tracert and pinging and it looks worse than just a simple bad ping time. I tried from multiple different locations and got lots of timeouts and I got different paths pretty much every time. I'm not seeing that to most of Europe or Australia, just to CZ.

The behavior you described sounds like what you would see with lost or timed out packets, not lag. If it was just lag, they would be moving around a bit jerky but not teleporting. We send most stuff as not guaranteed so packets can get lost. That is pretty much required for bad connections for movement packets. If we sent guaranteed, it would wait for a response and resend the packet till it worked which could put you WAY behind real time.

I'll start another thread on this to see what other people are seeing. Currently I don't think we track lost packets and we probably should. I just created a task for it, SOTA-7663 is the task number.

The good news is there is a very good chance we WILL have a server in Europe. More details at a later date.

As always, thanks for the info and the feedback!

9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

10. Floors

Floors Avatar

Okay please quick clarify before the forums go nuts

There will be a server in Europe for the same persistent game world ?

Or we will split players between European Players and US Players... ???

Sir Cabirus and smack like this.
  11. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

And let the lawyering begin... :p

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  12. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

I think its a server like a modem like a booster like system that would have to increase output/amplify signal
    like if you have problem with your home signal and call cable they can put a amplifier in the basement to increase the signal for internet and cable TV's better picture.

13. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

Sir Dorham Isycle likes this.
  14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I wouldn't worry about it Trady. :D

It will become relevant when we need to know about it. LoL I could speculate, but I'm usually wrong.

15. Floors

Floors Avatar

It's relevant if me Espada and Griselda want to team up on Isaiah TheRunner though :)

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That isn't fair. The proper pronunciation is TheTraveler. You can't expect me to hang around with three people on me. Also things are going to change dramatically in R9. We will have to adapt to some new features.

I have a better idea. Why don't you team up with me instead? Then we can fight the bad guys together. Then you won't have to worry about me coming out of the trees and blasting you to pieces. We can be a team... like when I was in a party with you, and then later you turned on me. I don't feel bad for what happend to you after that. I felt betrayed. OH the depths of that betrayal!

Lord Lonn Bimmer likes this.
  17. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well I'll team up with you if we're on the US Server together :eek:

Lord Lonn Bimmer likes this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Huh. I live in London though. Would I go to Europe, or US?

19. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Chris, that is brilliant news about the server in Europe! My ping to Europe from Cape Town is much better than to USA (30% better).

Jynx likes this.
  20. monxter

monxter Avatar

A server in EU would rock. Hopefully it'll work out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.