1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Darkstarr's Release 9 Impressions + Release 10 Plan

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markus_Sevron

Markus_Sevron Avatar

Cthonism? Cthonistic magic? I like

2. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

It is entirely possible they named those schools after historical deities on purpose. ;)

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  3. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

Great discussion!

We are considering some of your suggestions. We DO WANT the magic schools to be "self evidently" named, and the current list may be too obscure to immediately bring to mind what is IN the school. I was particularly fond of the "mancy" suggestion by redfish! That way the runic on the sigil can stay the English words Earth, air etc.

Here is where I am at on a potential rethinking:

Life Magic: TBD Suggestions?
    Death Magic --> Necromancy / Necromancer
    Fire Magic --> Pyromancy / Pyromancer
    Water --> Hydromancy / Hydromancer
    Earth Magic --> Geomancy / Geomancer
    Air Magic --> Aeromancy / Aeromancer
    Sun Magic --> Heliomancy / Heliomancer
    Moon Magic --> Lunamancy / Lunamancer
    Focus --> TBD Suggestions?
    Chaos --> TBD Suggestions?

BTW -
    We also consider those that study the natural elements Earth/Air/Fire/Water to be Druids. Notice those all fit in a square
    We also consider those that study the Life/Death/Sun/Moon magic to be TBD Suggestions? Notice these all fit into a diamond shape on the sigil.

Suggestions/discussion please?
    JUST THINKING - NO GUARANTEES!
    :)
    - Lord British

Mishri, Akro, docdoom77 and 18 others like this.
  4. Strothers

Strothers Avatar

Will musical instruments be used to cause disarray within a group of monsters? If so would this be classed as magic or be its own skill type? (If instruments can be used in this fassion)

Siriustar, RDouglas and Abydos like this.
  5. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

The -mancy suffix comes from the Greek μαντεία, meaning specifically divination, not magic in general. Necromancy gets the title because traditional necromancy is all about summoning spirits for counsel. It was the voodoo magic of talking to the dead, not a dark magic designed to control the dead.

If you really want to stick with the -mancy structure, I'd suggest:

Life Magic --> Animancy / Animancer or Vitamancy / Vitamancer
    Focus --> Corimancy / Corimancer (not self-evident, but there aren't any synonyms for focus that have well-known Latin origins) or Medimancy / Medimancer -- it sounds a bit weird to have a name for someone who practices focus magic because shouldn't the effects of "focus magic" be prevailingly passive?
    Chaos --> Maelstromancy / Maelstromancer

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Love it!

Here are some suggestions: (in yellow)

I'm not sure all of the spell schools need a "mancy" as it works better in some schools than others.

I'd like to see some combination of spell school mastery equating to being an "Archmage". Perhaps if you have mastered in all of the diamond, part of the square, and Chaos? (this would depend on what your skill point max is)

I'll have to think more on this, these are just off the top of my head.

7. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Honestly I thought having the schools just named after the elements themselves was enough. I am interested in the idea of there being Druids and Mages however that sounds kind of cool.

8. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Those that practice Life / Death / Sun / Moon magic could be called Theurgists. Theurgy is the art of using magic principally to summon or unite with the divine. The sun, the moon, life, and death all have histories of being respected as divine in nature.

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

There's a school of divination called Chaomancy :> Literally chaos, though it refereed to the chaos of the winds in the air.

For focus I'm not sure you could use a traditional name except through analogy. Wikipedia, among other places does have a good list to look through. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methods_of_divination

Perhaps though, we could just go to Greek roots and come up with something from scratch.

Estiasis is Greek for focus, so it the most direct would be something like Estiasomancy.
    Or, you could use Eidos, which is a well known for meaning a form, essence, or type, and get Eidomancy.
    Or, you could use Pneuma, which means spirit and get Pneumomancy, although that usually means 'wind' since the spirit is related to the word for wind through the idea of 'breath'. Could also be used or life magic.
    Or, you could use Psyche, for soul, and get Psychomancy.
    Or, you could use Nous, for mind, and get Noomancy, (would be double-o, like in noosphere), although that might be used later for mind magic.
    Or, you could use Logos, and get Logomancy.
    Or, you could use Kosmos, and get Kosmomancer.
    Or , arch, nomos, etc.etc.

Life, I don't know. You could derive from Bios or Zoi, although I don't know that those would give the right connotation. You could use Pneuma for spirit, as mentioned, since the life force was considered like a breath that inhabited the body, and left the body when it passed. (In Latin, this was referred to as the "tenuis aura", or subtle vapor; aura --> aer in Greek) So Pneumonancer.

Or Theos, and have it be Theomancy. That would be a similar meaning to "Theurgy".

Important ancient greek terms. http://people.wku.edu/jan.garrett/302/302greek.htm

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Or for Focus you could go from the original idea of Omnipotence --> Omnimancer.

(Omnimancy)

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  11. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

So the ability to do everything and a practicer of every kind of divination? :)

redfish likes this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

13. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Dude's a historian, not a linguist. The Greek μαντεία (manteia) is the origin of the -mancy suffix. It represents prophesy or a diviner of prophesy.

14. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yep I know. Divination with the aid of demons or spirits. But its similar to necromancy, in that its taken up a broader meaning from divination to more general conjuration. Necromancers not just being diviners but people raising the dead.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Could always use -urgy suffixes.

17. mike11

mike11 Avatar

not in love with any of those.. far too scientific sounding.. I would suggest more creative names eg.. names that ancient peoples would think of...
    water - cleansed water traveler
    earth - deep planet energy
    fire - fire tipped lashers
    sun - corona fire worshiper
    air - breath stealer and giver
    lunar - lunar children
    life - healing scion
    ... ya just some rough thoughts
    Sorcerers??

18. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Some of these are repeats, so just think of it as me adding my agreement to those names:

Life magic - Vivamancy (after looking at the spell list, it made more sense than Biomancy, and is less awkward than Vitamancy, or VITAMIN MAGIC!)
    Focus magic - Psychomancy
    Chaos magic - Chaomancy

Gaelis likes this.
  19. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Thank you! As Druids are important in Ultima lore they need a focus on SotA too. Hence why the Celtic Order of Druids and Bards was created in UO by us players of the Lake Austin shard to further the recognition. CODB has been in SotA as a player guild since the end of the SotA kickstarter recruiting and has a home in Dara Brae, the Celtic Holdfast.

We appreciate it!

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  20. danceswithstaplers

danceswithstaplers Avatar

Hmm...for the Life/Death/Sun/Moon schools, the title should be something that suggests otherworldliness...some brainstormed suggestions: Priest, Astrologer, Cosmologist, Prophet, Seer...

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.