Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

With every release I despise player housing more and more

Discussion in 'Release 13 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Nothing screams excitement more then a chessboard held up by a single door.

Joviex and Time Lord like this.
  2. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I don't disagree with that.. Chessboards need better support. This is a problem with nearly every stackable item. It's possible to hang one item on the edge of another, and continue the process until the stacking limit is reached. In almost all cases gravity would collapse the structure. This should be represented in the game, but if people want to use a chessboard as a deck they should without a doubt be able to do it.

3. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

*hands rune a towel* you missed a bit of sarcasm there.. tracking it on your chessboard.

i like the chessboard for three reasons.
    chess.
    checkers.
    tile flooring, as opposed to wood or carpets or stone.

they all need stackable items. - maybe if there's a rule disallowing certain items to have the chessboard stacked on THEM, it'd work. like a bench, a skull, an ankh, a wall...

for now, i really do enjoy the creativity everyone is doing, but i WANT IT GONE for when the game goes live. best way to test what needs be done, is to allow for it and parse through the logs, to know what needs to be fixed.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I think my opinion regarding all of this has changed slightly over the last few days. If we can't get some simulation of gravity/force and how it affects decoration placement, then whatever rule based system is developed should be fairly permissive, otherwise it will grow to be too restrictive and will hinder creativity, such as chessboards as decks.

5. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

We once had been able to do this at Release 1 :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now you can see we have on the last 2 pictures a Bed standing on a table, we have the table standing on a wood pile.
    We have a table standing on the Darkstarr Metronome. And a Candle standing above it.
    We have flying Paintings also, and a flying Wall carpet.

I ask you now, as for me personally there is no difference at all to the current Lots we have with the Chessboards and Tower of Ankhs and Tower of
    Oracle Heads flying around in R13. The Devs reduced back then the freedom of options. They removed your freedom to place items as you want.
    Why no complain back then?

Would you all have complained back then that they are removing the freedom to do what you want on your Lots.
    Would you back then have also argued that it is not OK to ad restrictions to the bed or to the Darkstarr Metronome.

Looks like everyone has a point of "Immersion requirement". Some draw the line earlier , some later.

But for some of us the abuse of Chessboards and Anks and Oracle Heads are just the same as for you the flying Beds and Tables and flying pictures and a painting on a Metronome would have been back then.
    Totally a Immersion Killer and No GO.

Well we all did not even ask back then as it was totally not discuss able that these is not acceptable to leave it this way. No one did complain at R1.

But for those of you who say we should accept the flying chessboards and tower of Anks , i will ask you to accept flying beds and flying pictures.

Then from a emotional point of view we would then all pull even. All are living now in a immersion broken world.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatal

KuBaTRiZeS, Time Lord and Sir Cabirus like this.
  6. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

@Myrcello, great example of why we need some sort of simulation for gravity and force. Any other solution that involves defining stacking restrictions for specific items or combo of items is difficult and prone to error.

KuBaTRiZeS, Time Lord and Myrcello like this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops: Bake something sooner than later and have a cookie...
    [​IMG]
    Or game needs to give and take because there isn't that much "to do" in our game yet, but some things are needed sooner than later to replace those things which do not help our game's selling appeal. Crafting (we hope) will soon have more that can be done. Remember that real Gingerbread Houses will eventually be something we can build in our game someday, "yet what better building blocks could anyone hope for right?" o_O...

I am thinking that maybe there are many other things we could build by using all of our crafting skills, because "in that way" we could see some things that are better decor to enhance our current structures with, that would better complement the looks, as well as interactiveness of our housing lots.

:eek: Gingerbread Shingles, Bricks and true Crafting of Curtains and all the trimmings that enhances both our housing designs as well as our game's true Crafting Design ;)

I don't think our current junk yards do much to sell our game, or to encourage our housing market... "a market I might add that does fund our game!"
    Enable the player with some more proper ways and discourage replacing houses with chess boards and ankhs.
    We need building blocks we can keep and that will help our game sell more homes to help fund our game.
    Come and look at our houses for pledging and not all the mess in our construction yards...
    "Unless We Can Craft it!"
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

8. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

last night i checked - unable to put a metronome on a stage. - probably oversight, because you can put ankh's on them.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The funny thing is I haven't had a house since I think the original release.....I need to get in there and test placement. Posting stuff like you did is really helpful, not just to say what shouldn't be stacking but also things that really should....the more things caught in both direction is best for the game.

10. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Re: the chess boards and chess pieces. I think people should be able to stack things on them (other than just the chess pieces) because it can look like a tile floor. I think potted plants, benches, or a host of things could look pretty awesome on the chess boards. I still don't know why they created gigantic chess boards, though. Boards on house floors might be considered stacking, so I'd say let them lay on the ground or floor. I also think if they could be turned up on end, it would be cool to make a wall. But then we might have the same problem. ;)

The chess pieces look pretty cool on their own. I don't think they should be restricted to where you place them. An object is an object....
    I'd like to have just the knight (horse) piece alone as a decoration.

Time Lord and ThurisazSheol like this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Caliya,

Yes, the chess board looks good in some gardens as a "tile floor." Although it would be nice if the devs provided us tools to do things like that without having to rely on the chess boards! Brick floors and stone floors would be nice to place too.

Lord Baldrith, Caliya, Tarsin and 3 others like this.
  12. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

if you go to northern ardois - you'll see a lord of the manor house. that thing is huge. - i think they made them for homes that size, they woudl be DWARFED in a building that large. - i literally got lost in it for half an hour, and it was unfurnished. - found two hidden doors on the roof that didn't work by double-clicking. i think they shoudl have hidden switches instead.. like you have to open the left door, close it, then open the right door, to get the right hidden door to open., and vice versa.

i mean, the people paid that much money, they should get that much awesome. :)

13. smack

smack Avatar

If you thought the exterior was messy, you should have seen how I decorated the interior. :)

Caliya, Sir Cabirus and Time Lord like this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Gathering Money to Help Finish Our Game

For me it's about selling pledges, and more to the point, selling "Virtual Houses"... o_O
    Our housing market is just like every other housing development, with the exception that "they really don't exist", which already places a heavy burden on their selling quality. Do our smaller houses for the mid range pledges really suck that much to think that a chess board house is better? :confused:
    [​IMG]

The value of our pledges through our housing market relies on #1 how fun the game is and #2 how our game looks, which is already challenged by it's graphics, "which are just OK" in relationship with our modern gaming market.
    So, for the same reasons people don't buy houses for more money when this is your next door neighbor;
    [​IMG]
    That's the same reason we need far less stacks of junk art to further our game's sell ability.
    No matter how much we love our nifty neighbors junks of cleverness,
    :oops: "is this really the future of our game's housing design?"
    [​IMG]
    Maybe we need to provide a few chess boards and an empty row lot for our patron pledge... o_O
    [​IMG]

15. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I tihnk you've stumbled on a new (and crazy) battle chess template for player towns :)

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  16. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

or....a mode you can activate in an arena.

Time Lord and Tarsin like this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    :eek: OMG Tarsin! You are Right! :D
    We do need a player town where the owner of the town can play chess with your house...
    Every time you log in, "he could have moved it" :confused: Too Funny Tarsin! :p

Tarsin, Caliya and Lord Baldrith like this.
  18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

My kid got me playing Minecraft and initially I found it amusing to play with other people but after building a dozen or so things it fell from the creative pastime to the mundane. No need to even get started on the sheer ugliness of what people create (not that the palette was awesome to begin with).

Then comes Landmark and a some others to take the Mincraft model into a real MMO territory. Yeah, I know there was 2nd life before,.. but give me a break. I was initially excited about Landmark, but frankly got bored in the first day.

Anyway, I don't think it will happen, but I am really hoping the housing aspect of this game won't go the way of those. Don't get me wrong, I like the housing and the potential creativity, but it can easily go wrong.

Sir Cabirus and Time Lord like this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops: We should make crafting work for us!
    I suggest we place many of the building or modifying things (stack creation items) within the realm of the crafting players. Add on house materials could come from our carpenters, stacks of different colored ( and different ingredient) gingerbread from the cooks and larger stack able different colored grain sacks (that actually have grain that was grown) which could come from our farmer's different crops with the sacks having to be created by our tailors ;)
    When the gingerbread gets old, or the sacks get old, they could all have different mold grow on them changing their color, or different colored vines that could cover a wall... Our crafting should be where such inspirations are made from, and have them then more fit our medieval styling and colors we could see that enhance and not distract from our SotA game's atmosphere.
    Make what we make, "fit" our game's medieval style... :cool:
    It would sure help the economy of the lower crafts... o_O

20. Womby

Womby Avatar

I get that many people are offended by things that they see. How about, rather than crushing the freedom and creativity of those who create visual monstrosities (monstrocities?), we provide people with the option of not seeing them their external decorations? That way, if someone constructs a physics-defying tower of ankhs and hot tubs, I can click on their sign and select the "invisible to me" attribute. Anyone who doesn't go out of their way to make it invisible will still see it, and the creativity of the owner will not be trampled into the ground by unfeeling despots who do not appreciate their artistic brilliance.

Myrcello, Caliya and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.