Banning/Permissions Control List for Owners/Co-Owners

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Tahru, Jan 16, 2015.

?

Should Player Town Owners be able to Ban?

Poll closed Feb 18, 2015.
  1. I want owners to be able to ban, but not during guild wars, or in open pvp towns.

10.7%
  2. I want to be able to ban, but just for events, then they dont have to be banned anymore.

3.6%
  3. Banning is against the exploration of the game, and I may want to go to places where im not welcome.

10.7%
  4. No

39.3%
  5. Yes

35.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

Great Idea!!! Maybe bring it up during the R14 PostMortem, could be a start, because they said they may start working on POTs sometime after R14.

2. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I agree with this 100 %.

3. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Not to be to discouraging, or cynical, but history has shown that questions with any real weight aren't answered during post mortem dev hang outs. :(

Filthy Peasant likes this.
  4. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

You have to be there screaming it in the chat room as well as have it posted in the comments underneath the update when it's posted. Yes it is a small hastle to get the question answered, but once it is it's goooood. Well I promise you that I will bring it up and ask during the next hangout that gives the opportunity to ask.
    Since it's apparently somewhat of a hotbutton issue, i'm sure they will attempt to avoid it to some extent. :p

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Any hints we can wrangle out of them would do much to put peoples minds at ease. In the dev hangout they mentioned that now is the time to post PoT ideas, so for now that is what i am up to.

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I voted

I want owners to be able to ban, but not during guild wars, or in open pvp towns.

However just like the other thread I'll repeat it here... We need to have a realistic in game explanation for being banned or not allowed in a town. It would be nice to interact with a guard station that tells us we aren't wanted in these parts (or whatever). We should have the ability to have an altercation with these guards too (even if it is ultimately futile), and it should result in negative consequences, but it is better than just seeing a town that we are unable to enter.

DavenRock [MGT] and Themo Lock like this.
  7. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

A very thoughtful medium here is the Raids. There will be raids from the PvE perspective. With the Tesla Tower, technically you prevent your town from having raids. However, if a person is unwelcome to the town, and is on some sort of ban list, the town could come under 'raid' status and until that person is killed or has left/add your interpretation please, only then could the town go back to a regular status. At least it would be immersive. It would be the same as if a skeleton had just randomly walked into town, right?

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Heavy Smoker is spotted peeping over a wall... sirens go off and the electrified barriers spark and crackle to life, guards hurriedly draw their swords and scramble to action. Smoker lights up and blows smoke rings in anticipation...

9. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

It would be quite fun.

*Alarms Sound*
    Heavy Smoker twists his wrist in anticipation for the fight against 10 of his foes.

10. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

Wish I was free in the afternoon during the hangouts. I heard in another thread some questions are asked and answered via IRC. Would be great if IRC logs were available.. I wonder if anyone keeps them handy?

11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I think Redfish was working on something like that, though maybe it was transcripts of the actual video...

Tarsin likes this.
  12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Ya, I forgot about that, I remember when starr used to pop in daily to the irc client and ask questions. I do not think though that he should make decisions however with just the few peoples input there though. I believe it would be good to have a group forum for this kind of topic, being that it involves multiple parties all with high dollar investments.

Tarsin likes this.
  13. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Yes that's correct to my knowledge. And there is no way of knowing how many lots those 80+ POT's will have till after design.

Someone could opt for 556 row lots in a metro.

An LoTM could decide on a Holdfast for his castle and 5 village lots for the serfs.

Until summer and a lot more information hits, it's all speculation.

Myself ,I hope to see POT's evolving each Episode, adding more options for them to earn or thru addon store, making each unique in it's own way, each adding more flavor to the sandbox side of this RPG game.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Now that is a great point. I forgot about that stuff.

This idea got me thinking. With something like this in mind, maybe there could be ways for people to be more readily be accepted into a private town. If there was some kind of poster board at the front of the town, or a town crier that has a message for people who passersby but aren't on the white list, maybe newbies and other players might find out more about this town from the crier or a bulletin board.

So yes have the white list or black list (unless there is some kind of combat situation where a ban is an unfair advantage), but allow the owner of the town post some information about their town and maybe where they can meet up for interviews to join their exclusive guild. As some players come and go guilds and towns like this will need to recruit, and my biggest concern regarding private towns is how the newbies or excluded player would feel.

If they can do stuff like this maybe the excluded player might then find something interesting about this private town because they can learn more about it and possibly meet up with the guild and become a member. Then it isn't just some private town that you never see anybody go in or out, but now it is something that is part of your tangible game world.

DavenRock [MGT] and Themo Lock like this.
  15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Yes, i am a big fan of the idea of utilising the town crier or some form of bulletin board for a variety of things like this.

DavenRock [MGT] and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

that is true, and that should be incentive to not be a person to not offend the town owner or you might lose said privileges :)

17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Some one talked about having multiple entrances to a town. Now this could be a possibility also. You could have one entrance for people that are banned and they are basically walking into a jail cell, but they can leave. Maybe a guard could be a correspondent to the player town owner. Or maybe there could be a bulletin board on the wall where one could communicate with the owner.

18. James T. Cook

James T. Cook Avatar

What about rogue type characters? Could they enter a private town if they manage to stealth past a guard? As long as they aren't detected by anybody should they be thrown out, or should the private area be "strictly" enforced?

The way I see it the towns can in fact be private, and there could be the crime of trespassing. I think it makes things more interesting rather than having a strict ban of outsiders. Even if the guild is a role playing guild, make the crime severely punishable crime similar to murdering in cold blood. It is a felony to trespass, or to walk on rooftops as well. Once spotted have somebody cry "guards" and then the person can be detained, attacked, and/or thrown out of town.

19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I would say they should be allowed. :). I think the main reason for an enforced bans is just for griefing purposes. If some one is acting out as a rogue I see no problem with that.

Themo Lock and DavenRock [MGT] like this.
  20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I see the perception of 'bans' remains the same in this thread.

I want to take a moment to remind people of the purpose for which some of us want a ban option in the first place. The goal isn't to remove an offending player from the town.. it's to remove the offending player from the town residents and/or instances where an event is taking place. This can be done by restricting the instances said offender can enter. It does NOT have to mean disallowing entry into the town entirely.

Net, FanofIolo, Tahru and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.