Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

SPO should be turned of immediately for Shardfalls and other PVP areas

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Fact is, if I am in single player mode (especially in offline mode) and see a shardfall zone on the overland map I would want to explore it. This is just natural. You discover such an interesting looking area on your travels and you naturally want to explore it.
    And in offline mode I wouldn't even have the option to flag for PvP even if I wanted to. So I discover this interesting looking area an will not be able to enter and explore it? Bummer. Thanks for teasing me but not letting me do what I want in the game.

2. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

To be clear the question posed was: Will SPO be barred from entering PvP zones? I understood the answer to be NO, they will be transitioned to OPO with a warning that they are entering a open PvP zone (which is how it's working now). I received this warning message when I entered, and after I was inside, a list of players came up too (telling me I was the only one there).

It's pre-Alpha and we have players all over the world, so I'm sure there is a good chance of never seeing anyone in there, so I'm not worried about it, if they continue to place the tour guides in PvP zones, then that's a different front to complain about. Go see for yourself the first comment was at 1:02:37, and the offline clarification was at 1:07:56

3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

People that do not like PvP have no right at all to try and deny those that do enjoy it the content they were promised. PvP is not my primary field, i prefer PvE but occasionally i enjoy fighting the people that like to prey on others. The PvP enthusiasts were promised from the start "incentive based PvP" , which means putting something in the PvP areas that people want or providing some kind of reward for killing people. There has been a few statements before shardfall was open that these were going to be PvP themed areas and they also mentioned increased resources being in these areas. Since the rest of us were also promised that we will not be forced into PvP there HAS to be something in there that tempts us in but is not vital for storyline or progress. As it stands 99% of the content is aimed at the PvE crowd and 1% is aimed at the PvP crowd. This area was needed and it is almost perfect for its intended purpose once resources are added. The only real issue is getting ganked while loading into it. The hat quest being in there is no reason at all for outrage, its release specific and during this release you can switch to SP to get it. Not to mention the fact that the majority of the time you are more likely to be killed by maneaters than pkers in there. Half the time i am happy to see a pker so i can lifedrain my health back from damage dealt by those crazy plants. I am a bit surprised that it will be absent from single player altogether instead of just lacking resources however, it is a very pretty zone and it seems a waste to not include it. Perhaps i misunderstood the info on that bit.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Nobody here is trying to deny PvPers anything.. except perhaps the pleasure of killing people who don't want to PvP. Nothing is stopping PvPers from having at it. How does not wanting to be forced out of SPO deny anyone else anything? It doesn't. If they had stuck to the original plan of denying the perks of the PvP zone to SPO players then what's the problem?

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Was not referring to your posts, which i actually agree with. Envy has people wanting to lynch anybody who likes a good fight XD

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Hmm.. perhaps I'm still waking up but that opening statement didn't seem clear and made me go "huh?" but reading again.. you're making a point that if non-PvPers don't have the right to deny PvPers content it stands to reason the reverse is also true? Cause that isn't how I read it first time around.

7. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

I PMed Chris about this Single Player Online stuff in regards to PVP zones because what was previously stated in past hangouts versus what was said in yesterdays hangout were 2 drastically different things. As someone who plans to mostly play Single Player Online, I am not pleased if they go with the new plan. As things progress, certain things keep causing me to keep considering selling off a bulk of my pledge by the end of the year.

8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

There is always single player offline which becomes more and more interesting with no strange looking player houses, no forcing people to do what they don't want to do...

9. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

oh I know that full well, but with offline mode you can't patron friends' vendors for items they make... No one player will be able to be an expert at all crafting trees, thus it already limits things within single player offline based on what their current thinking is in regards to gear and items in regards to quality, etc.

10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Yes, unfortunately we still know so few things about how single player (online and offline) will work and play like...

11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

While I realize that having an area that can not be explored (without accepting PVP) is limiting to some playstyles. Isn't the same true of having 95% of the rest of the world explorable but never with full pvp? Yes, you can flag yourself open pvp, but you're never able to gain the full depth of the pvp experience where anyone present (a la a shardfall) must participate in pvp. I feel like this a fair compromise for 100% game wide consensual pvp. It's also consistent with the lore, and protects the player driven economy from exploiting Single Player Online mode to avoid the inherent risks of multiplayer pvp.

Shardfall's may still be explored in Single Player Offline mode (without pvp). But as has been pointed out, that is not the same as being Online. However, just as players that enjoy pvp must make choices, so too must players that do not enjoy pvp. For example, if you're main playing style is pvp, you will not be able to solve all of your problems by killing other players. Many players will never risk being in an area or game mode where they could be killed by another player. This means that you may need to bridge the gap between your preferred playing style (pvp) and the dominate playing style of the game (pve) in order to compete in commerce, social events, and many other areas of the game where pvp has no influence.

12. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Agreed, currently PvP is in a sad state since the lack of risk vs reward is not "creating more targets for you PvPers" as I have heard said in person at Portalarium. I respectfully disagreed with their assessment and the current situation is backing up that thought. The game needs more wrinkles that could spark wars between players and guilds. So yes, forcing OPO in shardfalls hexes is a start, as is adding in the highest density of resources to be found there.

13. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I transcribed the exact wording of the question, which comes out of the "mouth" of our good friend Baron Drocis, and specifically asks if Single Player ONLINE players will be required to accept PvP or be locked out of areas like the Shardfall scene. The second word out of Chris's mouth was: Yes. The first one? Uhhhhh....

14. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I guess a clear statement to clear this up would be good. I expect some heated debate in the dev + forums later over this. Again, if you are going to reward one subset with rewards that another cannot get and deny access to an area, then there should be an equal and opposite reward for those on the opposite spectrum. A game of virtues where only the virtueless get rewarded is kind of flawed.

15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

It never understand this "deny access" view........access hasn't been denied, it's just some players don't want to go there. That is a personal choice.

16. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I didn't read 9 pages.
    This seems like a request to allow PvP folks a way to keep PvE folks from getting hats.
    If the Tour Guide moves elsewhere, then it's fine.

SmokerKGB, Tahru and Lord Baldrith like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think that's a fair point to make about the Tour Guide Hats. However, there's nothing "pvp-ish" about all the other hats. So it's kind of short sighted to say it's good for the goose and not good for the gander. Isn't it?

The object of the "hats" is to encourage people to log in and "test" areas. If there's no one going to certain areas, or they're exploiting SPO mode so they don't have to test the "pvp parts" then how is that helping test what the area is for?

18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Maybe denying is the wrong word, forcing some one is the right word. By taking away ones ability to go into single player online and visiting a scene, and only allowing to visit in MPO PVP is exactly denying/forcing.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You act as if you can't visit the other 99% of the game when in reality you can and with PVP enabled. What we have here is a scene and content made exclusively for a subset that only one side can enjoy....how many more hours and time should they add to making more scenes like this? If I nver get to go in them because I don't PVP then to me it's wasted resource time that doesn't help the game as a whole. Just imagine the reactions this will create if they don't deliver in other areas like the story.

This is heavily skewed in favor of the pvper.

20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

So in multiplayer there are instances where it has been made clear players will be dragged into single player....this forms part of the story.

Shardfall has been specifically designed for PvP, doesn't formulate part of the story so you don't need to go there......all they are saying is if you go there, you will be dragged into a multiplayer PvP area.

I could argue that as a fan of multiplayer I should be more upset than the fans of single player because I will be dragged to play by myself in order to technically complete the game. I'm not going to argue that fact because I'm not overly precious about it........ I did however think it was worth pointing out.

The point is that it will still remain a choice and you are not being forced into anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.