Let's settle this once and for all. Card combat, Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by TheGrinch, Apr 14, 2015.

?

Do you like the card combat system in it's current state?

1. Yes, it is the best thing since sliced bread.

99 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. No, it sucks more than a vaccum cleaner

170 vote(s)
    63.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

We'll see, but if it just a few modifications to make it better I bet you will.

2. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

....yeah. 30 ppl is very indicative of the pool of tens of thousands.

I think people keep saying the sample size is too small with polls like this because polls like this are useless and the sample size is too small.

3. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

At the end of the day, it comes down to many of us who loved the ultimas leaving shroud over this combat system. The semantics and debates are time wasting.

Ive drawn a line in the sand and made a choice.

4. TantX

TantX Avatar

That's cute. "Oh, those negative comments? They were so tame and beneath my standards that I found their pathetic commentary on this illustrious system to be nothing more than a pitiful whine to the lion's roar of Lord British's majesty."

Really? You're going to write off people who say they won't pay for this game? In other words, they won't finance Episode 2 for you.

This is why people don't throw out evidence, 'cause even when it's there, detractors write it off as unimportant. Unbelievable. Also, for a crappy poll, it's still 2/3 "this system sucks" - that's from people who hate this combat system and still care enough to try to get it fixed, not from people who've already left or traded their pledges or "will just wait and see when it launches".

If I have to micromanage cards to input my character's actions or my skill availability is random, even slightly because of a deck system, then no, I will not.

Forest_Dweller and Ice Queen like this.
  5. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

Actually I think the glyph system sucks, and I think that people who think it sucks vastly outnumber those who don't. The real numbers would be skewed even more in the direction of "it sucks" if the poll were more representative of the potential audience.

That simply doesn't change the fact that forum polls are inaccurate. Part of intellectual honesty is not using inaccurate data just because it supports your point.

6. argyle

argyle Avatar

If realism is in any way the goal, someone in combat could certainly attempt the move and fail, not be completely incapable of performing an action. The system is designed to restrict player's options rather than do the extremely hard work of determining whether those options would work given the current situation. Which is fine! It is, however, most certainly nothing resembling realism.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  7. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

The glyph system is the same as many combat games, even D3 - except you can forgo locked glyphs (aka always there skills with cooldowns, the same as many games) and use the random dealing system.

I've seen comments about it - I'm still willing to wait for them to continue balancing.

Personally, I like seeing combos but I personally really dislike dragging and dropping. Using the keyboard to combine glyphs I find awkward as hell and an odd mechanic. Perhaps that simulates powering it up, but you can power up all your abilities simultaneously as opposed to powering up for a hit and trading a delay for more power. If they let you layout the glyphs on the screen set up like the numpad and I could use that I'd find that more intuitive perhaps (admittedly dropping the mouse to use). Perhaps some minor delay so that hitting 1 and 3 simultaneously uses said combo.

I'm getting used to the system but the fact that stacking glyphs is so much more powerful (and cheap) means I'm kinda gimped if I don't. I would love it if using a buff dropped those glyphs from my deck - I find stacking more than one type of buff tough in my skillbar as well.

I'm really not worried about the glyph system though - they said they can revert to the typical system if they choose to. All the skills are still going into place and some rudimentary balancing. They can iterate on it and it will improve no doubt.

And if it doesn't - all they do is use locked glyphs and voila, the combat is like other games - moves and cooldowns.

If there were the option I'd vote awful poll. The title is offputting, I wandered in of course - but reading it made me groan almost as much as seeing yet another once and for all pvp poll .

And there is a spectrum of people - many not firmly in one camp or the other or leaning one way or the other. So the questions seem to boil down to "Love it" or "I quit" which makes for a poor poll. This should have been a 5-option poll. 1-5. Or 0-4 if you prefer.

8. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

If I saw external forums exploding with negative commentary about SotA, combat or otherwise I'd be concerned for its future. I don't see it. Neither am I concerned that some people don't like it. I'd rather they not try to please everyone. My impression is that the commentary has been generally favorable.

Now please take back those words you so venomously put in my mouth.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

How do you come to this conclusion? Is there some sort of mathematical proof you can show that invalidates a sample size of 30 or more?

Ice Queen likes this.
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

If you say so, I have a feeling this is just one area you will start with then we will move on to be the overland map, then it will be the different modes, full pvp for everyone no matter what....you've made it quite clear in other threads that you do not want them as well.

11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I never said forum polls are accurate but the sample size is large enough. Also the people being polled are the relevant population. So they are still likely more accurate than most give it credit for. The problem is that we do not know if anybody is loging in with multiple accounts to skew the poll. Apart from that and the wording of forum polls the population size and the people voting are the likely players. Seems like pretty good stats to me. Although statistics are not like other forms of math so even math people get confused by it.

Ice Queen likes this.
  12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

How about simple logic?

13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That's fine but common sense tells me that your logic didn't get you an A in statistics.

Ice Queen likes this.
  14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Really. Come on man...30 people, most of who only clicked the title of a thread in a forum with maybe 100 people regularly reading it....do you think it is a good accurate representation...not to mention it is to narrow focused....I can't keep up with all the different opinions you have given on the combat system, it's like a yo-yo back and forth with loving it hating it.

15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

The repetitive negativity over combat is tiring. I don't disagree with the concerns, but thread after thread of the same concerns is just pointless. It is so bad at times, I just stop participating. We have to come to grips with reality and understand, that without a doubt, the developers have made perfectly clear that combat is going to have random cards. There is absolutely zero opportunity that is going to change.

So, if you don't like it, suggest ways to improve it or move on instead of fueling the regressive fire of negativity. We need to stick together for a better game.

The R16 hangout made it completely clear that not only are the cards going to stay, the point of the cards is to make combos difficult to pull off. So there it is, in black in white.

16. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I think polls on the forums are good for one thing though, conversation starters. No they aren't scientific, but they can still be fun to give some visual reference to the conversation, as long as we don't try to refer to them as some sort of 'proof' in our arguments.

Tahru likes this.
  17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I have suggested alternatives. They cannot do them.

If they don't want to hear that I am not satisfied with this current system then they ought not ask for feedback.

They don't have to kill the deck system but it is dead to me now. I'm persuaded that I am not the only one as well.

18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This thread has not been negative

Forest_Dweller and Ice Queen like this.
  19. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

You may very well be right, Tahru. In fact, I would bet you are. However, they've changed course a few times (overhead map).. and I'm hoping that the devs see that combat is disliked by a significant portion of the SotA community.. as well as many Steam users who aren't backers. I think this combat system is by far the most controversial of any of their decisions and I foresee it causing major problems to the possible success of this endeavor.

20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I disagree. This thread has not a single word in it that has not already been said by the exact same people (and some others) in many other threads. This thread was started with a tilt to abandon and replace, knowing full well that the passionate opposition would repeat themselves. A positive threads would have started with some like, "how do we make the decks more intuitive" or whatever.

My gripe is not personal nor about this thread in particular. Pick one of the hundred threads about the same thing, and that is what I am talking about. Positive, positive, positive! Overall, the game is going great. This is just a bump in the road, so there is no need to over play it.

All I am saying is to stop wasting everyone's time and bringing the entire game down with the abandon and replace talk, and focus on improvement.

Ice Queen, Hraw, Tarsin and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.