Let's settle this once and for all. Card combat, Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by TheGrinch, Apr 14, 2015.

?

Do you like the card combat system in it's current state?

1. Yes, it is the best thing since sliced bread.

99 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. No, it sucks more than a vaccum cleaner

170 vote(s)
    63.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

nope not at all. I liked your post and where you were coming from. I just could not bring myself to like the post because I think we are at a pivitol point.

They either continue wholeheartedly with this deck system even though it is losing support, and it always has been a very polarized issue, or they drop it in favor of something that we all can accept that works.

Will they karate do and risk get KOed by a counter strike, or do they Karate don't and be safe and move on to other things? Those are the two options.

Karate I think so... will result in them fighting 5 - 5minute rounds only to result in the judges saying they lost the match after the long fight getting bloody and beating everything to hell.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

The static toolbar is not a satisfactory alternative to the deck system. It is just something to give to those who cannot handle the deck system. Although now that I'm thinking I don't like the direction of the decksystem myself I dread the thought of being forced to use the static toolbar when somebody else can kill me with the superior deck system. I surely don't want to use the deck system if it continues to get more complex. SO I'm being forced out of the game! I'm not the only one.

3. Selene

Selene Avatar

If people hate the random card aspect so much, maybe the answer is to reduce the penalty for locked glyphs? In a real combat scenario, you wouldn't be able to use every move in your arsenal at every second, so I understand the idea of limiting some moves at some times for realism. (Maybe?) But it does stink when you're sitting there with no "moves" in your hand for 5-10 seconds while an enemy is wailing on you.

4. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I think this this has been one of the best conversations regarding this issue and to say its not an issue would be silly. Either way I do believe its now or or never. These are the types of things that can make or break a project, it might be the best thing since sliced bread but if the vacuum cleaner is powerful enough it can and will suck up your slice of bread.

Ice Queen and Dewderonomy like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree. I think we'll see changes. A lot of good feedback has been given out. Perhaps we'll find a good use of the Dev +QA release download, now wouldn't that be fun;) duh wasn't sure what to call it:cool:

6. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

My problem with this poll, and why it wont settle anything is: "in it's current state" because, no, in it's current state, the combat needs a lot of work still. It wouldn't matter what system they had in place it wouldn't feel like it's perfect in it's current state. There are far too many things still missing.

Something that ins't in that will be in soon is cover. They can add other elements to combat that other games have to make them more fun (The classic don't stand in the red, or for those immersion types, a charged up attack that you'll want to move away from). or something else so it isn't just standing there slugging it out. And yes, I don't forsee any issue with the deck system and adding things in where you need to pay attention and move. I'm not glued to the hot bar like some people seem to be. The other thing they can do is balance it so the locked skills are just as viable as the deck system so those who struggle with it wont be so handicapped using locked skills instead.

niteowl57, 4EverLost and majoria70 like this.
  7. TantX

TantX Avatar

We can't keep falling back on "it's not done". Otherwise we're going to keep saying "It's not done" until it's alpha, then "It's not polished" until beta, and then "It still needs balance" until launch. The core mechanics of combat are in, and it's the core mechanics that people have the biggest problem with.

8. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I don't believe that is the case. Most of them find that it's kind of "lack luster" or "boring" or "stand there and whack the guy" I rarely see negatives about the random card part. -If those aspects are fixed, making combat more exciting, more engaging. There might not be any issue with the random card aspect. or choosing a locked deck if you prefer (being that they intend to balance them).

I actually would love a turn based system. I've played enough turn based online games that I can see it does work, you just give them a timer to respond. -I don't believe that is the direction the Devs want to go though.

9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    if your going to echo some one or some source, put names and links with them to add some validity. Otherwise its like me saying I am The King of Egypt and you should believe me.

Net, Mishri and Mugly Wumple like this.
  10. ArminGoet

ArminGoet Avatar

Stating that "combat is not an important issue" is difficult, since the game works with leveling, and to level up, you have to gain experience, and this is - not solely, but in certain amounts - done by killing mobs. (Can you reach maximum level only through quests??) So we WILL see the "old style" grinding struggle = slaying certain mobs over and over again! This is for itself boring, but presented in a nice dynamic outfit it might be less boring and maybe even entertaining. I feel that the discussion is too narrow atm - deck system or not, random or not - this is all important, but not all. Instead, SotA has to think about making mobs smart in a way that you will not succeed in developing a "kill pattern" for each mob. As I said before - make it hard to kill one, and the reward for doing so higher. I don't want to kill 2000+ elven warriors in the same way to gain level blah ...

Dewderonomy likes this.
  11. TantX

TantX Avatar

I'm not going to quote 100+ steam reviews, Rav. I'm not gonna' go scour all the reviews and videos just because you won't leave the forums to hear what other people have to say. If I say, "My wife looked at this and said it was retarded," does that help any? I showed my friends from UO what this was, who I tried to get to sign up originally, and even when I painted the system positively and showed other people playing, they still gave me stinkface. Go read comments on review sites and in YouTube comments to see what people think of this game. But ask me to go out and show you what is so easily achievable but you refuse to do, likely because you won't like the overwhelming criticism of this game (even outside of combat, or dare I say, especially outside of combat)? Get over yourself.

Forest_Dweller, Freeman and Ice Queen like this.
  12. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

My search fu must be lacking. I looked through the first two pages of YouTube vids for all those comments blasting SotA combat. I looked through the first two pages of SotA reviews. I found several blistering comments about housing, money grubbing, incompetence and Pay2Play. The worst I read about combat was that it was "weird."
    Teach me to search, Master.

13. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I wont play sota unless this combat system is discarded and a proper system introduced.

Shadoweaver, licemeat and Dewderonomy like this.
  14. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I was not trying to be rude, sorry if I came across that way. I am simply giving ideas for solid arguments. One can not build an argument on speculation. No one can take another seriously without proof. I can tell you I have ocean front property for sale, that does not mean it is so, in fact it is most certainly not true. But If I did say that you would want evidence of it if you where interested right?

Net likes this.
  15. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

One of my many problems with card combat is that it's inconsistent with the rest of SotA. This game is supposed to be an immersive RPG. There's no recipes that randomly appear and disappear as you craft. Turning combat into a whack-a-skill minigame is a big immersion breaker.

Maybe if that minigame was entertaining and not monotonous, I could live with it. Unfortunately for me, it's not.

16. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

A better suggestion would be for porty to let everyone trial a more ultimaesque free combat system in shroud... And decide.

By Tor [MGT] and Dewderonomy like this.
  17. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Here maybe I can help.. letsee, this guy says the combat is dreadful:

http://www.pcgamer.com/shroud-of-the-avatar-impressions-lord-britishs-rough-new-world/

Except, what he doesn't like is the enemies standing there letting you wail on them.. It has nothing to do with the deck ssytem.. what he does say is: "A dynamic "deck" system that switches out skills randomly on your bar helps avoid the drudgery of standard MMO rotation, but it's not explained clearly. I eventually defaulted to playing with a fixed skillbar so I'd still have some time to munch on some turkey this Thanksgiving."
    (Note the reference to thanksgiving, this review is old)

Even the 100 or so negative steam reviews rarely mention combat as being the reason it's negative.

And Dewd, that review you just posted said the combat wasn't bad.. just kind of meh, and his complaint wasn't about the random deck system. Just about how combat didn't have a lot going on for it. He even said the random system actually works well even though it seemed weird.

18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That is true. It is the core mechanics that people always grip about.

Also the static toobar will not be enough to just remove the focus penalties. The cool downs also make it weaker in the long run.

See it is too late to be fiddle farting around. If they just drop the deck system we don't have to go into the next round of a really nasty fight. throw in the towel, keep the working traditional system, and spend the rest of the time working on music and other cool stuff that makes this game great.

If they stick with the deck system there is a chance that the game gets released later and people still wont like it.

19. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

So sorry. I did find some tepid criticisms of combat, including the HiveLeader's shrug "Its not that it's bad...ehhhh.... I just don't like it".
    I did not find the blasting and blistering that would spell doom to a game.

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Ever notice how this is the complaint of those who aren't in the majority? Every time these polls happen somebody complains.

how is it that a poll of 1000 likely voters is an accurate representation of likely US voters when our population is FAR GREATER than the sota community?

Here we already have a good sample size, and this forum is made up of people who are interested in this product, and are likely to play this game. Seems like a good poll to me. They always do.

Is anybody really going out of their way to skew the results? It is possible that somebody is logging in on multiple accounts to skew the results but since nobody takes these polls seriously I don't see the motive. Although don't tell me this sample size is not statistically valid. The sample size is just fine!

Freeman and Ice Queen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.