Please put street names in English

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Satan Himself, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Love that street names are coming to the game. The samples shown on the main site are in the SOTA alphabet.

I understand the immersive aspects of using that alphabet but would much prefer to have names in English. Maybe with a toggle for SOTA alphabet.

Every menu in the game is in English, chat is in English (or whatever language you want to use).

Although I consider myself a cunning linguist, I really don't want to learn a new alphabet.

fantalio, Greyfox, Hauk and 14 others like this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

DLMB but I think the plan is to have all visible GFX to be in runic. While if you hover above you get the tooltip in English, or local language where appropriate.

3. Net

Net Avatar

Please no. They already ruined the overland map with "English" translations. Do not be lazy and learn runic or hire someone fluent in it;)

4. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Toggle would satisfy those that think English "ruined" the overland map and those who think that English improved it. Same with street names. Or a hover function.

Chatele, FrostII and Ice Queen like this.
  5. Net

Net Avatar

Yeah but everyone will turn toggle than rather than learn runic or hire someone who knows it and can translate. I mean the spirits in Necropolis talk in runic or rather (in runic) and you need to hire NPC translator. Why could not you hire PC one to show you where the FireLotus Tavern or Diagonal Alley are?

6. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Because I don't want to? You play your way, I'll play mine.

If everyone turns a feature off, it's a pretty strong clue that the feature isn't good for the game.

Greyfox, Hauk, Chatele and 4 others like this.
  7. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Learning new alphabets have always been a big part of LB games. It goes along with not having a mini-map, no dialog choices during conversations, and no quest log links that reveal your path for you. Those things are out because this game is about no hand-holding. The runic has already been simplified from past versions to be a straight transcribe 26 characters, one correlating for each letter in the English alphabet. It used to be more intelligent, with compound characters like 'ee', 'ng' and 'st' characters. Now it's almost too simple, but asking for it to just go away is not respecting the past. And making it toggle is called 'hand-holding'. This is a different land, and they write with a different alphabet than English there. Why would the signs be in English? They wouldn't, and they shouldn't.

8. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I like hand holding, I like K.IS.S.

Things like the Firelotus tavern, statues to the ancients where built by Novians, the towns where built by players that settled there, we don't really speak runic so it would make more sense, for the sake of immersion which is so important to y'all to make signs English

9. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I was in the Navy, (who came up with K.I.S.S. back in the '60s) and i like it too. but i don't like hand-holding.
    There's nothing in the game that eludes to any of the towns being 'built' by players. sure we'll own some towns, but that doesn't mean we built them. If that were the case then the houses should be modern rather than medieval. No thank you.

10. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I like the idea of a toggle or tooltip. It would even help me become more proficient in reading runic - like flashcards.

11. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

a toggle won't be possible for street signs. It would require having two versions of every sign.

What WOULD be possible is for a toggle to be implemented that shows the text of the sign in English hovering over the sign when u put your mouse cursor on it. That would be fine.

But please, no, don't make the street signs in English.

EDIT: Yes, tooltip, that's the word I was thinking of ;)

12. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I personally like a tooltip - this actually really helps with learning the language when you have the translation hovering there.

13. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I'd be willing to pay 5 bucks not to have to read runic. Put a Lord British Decoder RingĀ® in the store. It might sound like a joke but I would actually buy it if runic was mandatory.

Quenton, Chatele, Vermine and 4 others like this.
  14. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

@Budner - I do think it's ironic that your sig has runic in it!

I can't read it. I'm not lazy I'm just not interested. Ill just mentally map every town like every other game I've played.

Barriers to play are worth considering. It's not a private game and tailoring it to delighltful eccentrics might not generate the population base that will keep the game funded.

15. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

If it were an option that could be toggled in the menu, I would be fine with it. If, however, the signs were in English, but couldn't be changed to runic, then I would be against it.

FrostII and Ice Queen like this.
  16. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I object to the notion that this is even remotely hand-holding. Being forced to learn a new alphabet in order to enjoy a very basic game mechanic (directions!) goes way beyond hand-holding. Every other part of the game is available in English - tool tips, chat, inventory, settings, overland map, vendors, EVERYTHING. So why foist runic onto the street signs?

Once again, one person's immersion is another person's PITA. Immerse yourself all you want. But don't call me lazy because I don't want to take the time to learn a new alphabet.

That said, if there's a hover with English, problem solved.

RancidRat, Greyfox, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  17. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Just some random characters, I can assure you ..... ;)

18. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Especially in a POT where the owner wishes it. As the leader of that community I'd find the guy who makes the signs and have him put the english translation under every sign.
    I feel it would aid in not only making the avatars feel at home but also help them learn to recognize key words without having to learn a whole darn new alphabet.

19. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

You might want to check out the 19th-century lord homes. Quite modern. Oh and electricity. Oh and top hats with goggles. Oh and ......

Miracle Dragon, FrostII and Ice Queen like this.
  20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There's a huge difference between in-game signs that characters read in their daily lives.. and game UI.. I do not consider tool-tips and chats being in English as a valid arguement for non-UI text.

There's no reason that signs being in runic should ruin your game for you. And I also note the runic in your own sig. So complaining that in-game signs are in runic when you're using it yourself seems a bit odd.

Home design, electricity and head wear are all irrelevent. Runic is the modern alphabet of New Britannia.. There's no reason.. nor arguement that it's outdated and somehow English is more modern. That's a dead end. All you've got here is what you as a player want.. vs what other players want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.