Concerned about PVP? PVP Poll

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Kurupt, Jul 27, 2013.

?

How important is PVP to you in a game ?

1. Important

59.1%
  2. Not Important

40.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurupt

Kurupt Avatar

After watching a dev chat

They stated that you cannot kill people who do not want to participate in pvp. My concern is that there will be no risk or reward when playing. One of the best things about Ultima Online was that feeling of not knowing what is to come. You were at a risk to be ganked and your items were open to be looted after you died. This made the community police itself and take on roles of protecting the players, creating alliances, and participating in politics concerning what was going on at that time.

I find it kind of disappointing that it seems that they are catering to non PVPers who have an offline mode and a mode to just play with their friends. I love the feeling of excitement and adrenaline when in combat, and that experience is always heightened when you fight other players, not npcs.

So, my question is. How important is PVP to you guys in the game?

2. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I can say that I have said this same statement, on the same type of thread, more times that I can even begin to count...

This issue is more complicated than a single question, radio button survey.

That Dev chat was a while ago. There have been tons of threads about it. I don't mean to seem bitter, but it is frustrating to see new threads and surveys when several already exist. I will not vote on these.

SOTA will be fine. The system they have devolved will be awesome to allow meaningful PVP, encourage RP and allow everyone to have fun. For everything else, read this by Lum the Mad...

http://brokentoys.org/2004/12/18/the-unbearable-darkness-of-ultima-online/

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

"Danger while questing" PvP is totally uninteresting to me. Maybe fun once in a while, but I'm basically done with it. Even if you loved this 5-10 years ago, you'd be surprised at how much you dislike it now that you're the one with the life/job.

"Battleground" type PvP is a fun distraction. But it gets bad very fast if it isn't balanced.

"Conquest and sieges" PvP can be a lot of fun. But I acknowledge that it's extremely difficult in many, many ways and I'd be perfectly happy if they held it off until it works. That said I would hate it if it were separate from the rest of the game. GuildWars2 has a decent siege system but it's essentially it's own mini-game unrelated to everything else. (Actually GW2 is really just a pile of mini-games loosely strung together.)

babylon likes this.
  4. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

Wow, that was a great article by Lum. Usually I can't stand him, but he's dead on about what UO was and was not. Did I write that for him?

Also, my memory tells me that Lum has evolved a bit on this topic. I would've lost some money betting that he was one of the "UO saved my life before Trammel" crowd, years ago.

5. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

this is not UO pre tram, This is not WoW, This is not AOC, This is not RIFT, This is not Defiance, This is not Everquest or NWNO or Guildwars

so why try to make PVP like them?
    no one really liked the open world pvp concepts that these games had except the gankers that ganked non pvpers trying to do quests so why not let SOTA come up with something new that will appeal to those that wanna pvp and those that don't

thanks,
    Matheryn

6. Robby

Robby Avatar

Just allow me to cause mass destruction and wreak havoc AND gain loot and gold for it in the process whenever I feel like it! No no no, theres no need for it to involve any PvP, or anything. (I cant PvP im horrible at it!). Just give me a bunch of quests and campaigns that involve pillaging and plundering homes and pickpocketing people, and maybe even murdering innocent miners and stealing their ingots for MY crafter! These miners will be totally NPC! Doesn't bother me as long as theres an interesting story to it. This will be my Evil/murderer PvM character. Yes, im normally a crafter but if I have to buy another account to play this character as well im going to do it!

7. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

The ideal would involve making a game inclusive of all playing styles, even the gankers. Which means that PVP would need to be a part of it.

LORD CHAOS likes this.
  8. SirBoss

SirBoss Avatar

PvP if you want it Click a Button if you don't click a button. Make it Permanent no going back unless you delete your toon and start over.

9. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Contrary to post after post after post on these forums you can actually have risk in the game environment without there being another player behind the NPCs or other challenges. Environments can be obstacles and puzzles of their own and AI controlled enemies can be challenging to fight. Dark Souls was not a merry walk through poppy-filled fields where the enemy simply knelt before you offering loot in apology beneath a sky filled with rainbows.

Risk vs reward is an over-used argument that those supporting non-consensual PvP use to justify a one-sided playstyle being forced on others.

The game is going to support both playstyles anyway in it's own way. In a single "server" world, there should be plenty of other people who opt in. It's just the PKs/PvPers won't have non-combatants and non PvPers to farm.

10. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

I agree.

You simplify the options to PVP versus Non-PVP. There is middle ground to be found here.

11. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Play how you like, but lets be clear. This in not evil. This is a psychopath.

Kambrius likes this.
  12. Robby

Robby Avatar

Hey.... at least it keeps me from doing it in real life right??? :cool:

13. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

Sure. I'm glad they're creating a giant game with that specific purpose in mind. What a gift to society.

If you're really thinking about things like that, please go find help.

14. Robby

Robby Avatar

Come on now people you take this way too seriously!

LORD CHAOS and hanskrsg like this.
  15. Robby

Robby Avatar

The fuzz will certainly be watching for the guy who wants to pillage, plunder, and wreak havoc in a fantasy world. They'll be really onto me the day I graduate to grand theft auto 5!

hanskrsg and Deathblow like this.
  16. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Anything that deals with multi-player is important to me.
    As far as me attacking someone else, it will only happen for fun.
    As far as me getting attacked and killed, it might be daily but I'm still for it.

LORD CHAOS and Ara like this.
  17. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

To everyone that read the article above, just know that the article while is completely accurate, is old, very old. The players who wish to "bring back classic UO" here aren't the same as the ones he mentioned in the article, and classic UO has taken on a new meaning.

"the glory days of UO" now represent a world which was somewhere in between what UO is now and what UO was when it launched. We don't want houses to be stolen and we don't want to ruin anyone's experience. I am very pro-Trammel even though I never step foot in there. Why? Because choice is an online RPG is important. I played for years after the Great Divide and guess what? There were tons of people who stayed in Felucca to PvP, to mine ore and to general play the game.

SotA has a built-in Trammel, so worry not everyone who doesn't want to be the victim of any other player. You will play the game your way.

Plenty of us don't mind being victims because it means we can also be the victor. The PvP slider in this game is our outlet into consensual debauchery and we can't wait to play it.

Ara and jondavis like this.
  18. hanskrsg

hanskrsg Avatar

I am afraid of how people react to your statements. Can't a person kill non-living things in a fantasy world without getting called a psychopath? What then should we call those people who want to kill the characters of actual living people? As long as you are not torturing and killing things in real life, for all I care you can do whatever you like in a computer game, as long as real people are not hurt, no need to fuss.

19. Ugmar

Ugmar Avatar

Personally I think that the slider will remove an element of UO that I truly enjoyed. The forced interactions of different types of people lead to many interesting situations. There were some truly horrible things that came of it as well, and I understand why that type of situation will probably never be allowed to happen again, but I feel that with this more "safe" feeling we lose an element of the game. I personally never had a "pk" (I did have an orkie that was red, but that was for RP and consentual pvp where I was a willing target) but I did go out dressed as a noobie and let the pk's come to me. I had a thief who would steal from people but certainly never participated in stealing some ones house...... ewww. I think that there needs to be limits put on the damage you can do to some ones fun, but I hate the idea of removing the interactions of people with different goals in mind. I think it leads to very interesting interactions that may well be lost when we segregate the population. I want my adventurer who is lawful good in style to interact with not only pvpers but also with dedicated crafters and roleplayers who will likely be poorly represented if I push the pvp slider up.

LORD CHAOS, Ara and jondavis like this.
  20. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Yea part of my fear is if there will be enough good in the open land of pks and looters or will the evil scare the good away.

With the one land in UO you meant more good people then you did evil.
    After the divide in Felucca that was not the case.

LORD CHAOS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.