Don't like free attack...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Brass Knuckles, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I'm sure there are other posts about this some place.

1. Something else to watch, and if I have a press key to do it, it will be a skill not a free swing.
    2. It totally Jacks with the double mouse button movement. Have to resort to wsad gross.
    3. Just seams like another big waste of time. Heck if u feel the need to do it tie it into auto attack so that still happens but if u feel the need to power it up then u can hold down a key. BUT u gotta fix mouse movement because that totally blows wasd is gross. ;)

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I kind of liked mouse movement instead of WASD, though I'm pretty used to WASD from other RPGs like Elder Scrolls and Witcher. Its really not bad. Its easy to use if you're accustomed to it.

The thing that's a bit more of a concern for me is trying to use the number keys 1-0 with my hand on WASD. I guess its not a problem if they're trying to make you stop movement when you use glyphs, slow down your combat. But it does make moving and using glyphs at the same time awkward.

I guess I have to wait and see where they're going with this.

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

When I started playing mmorpgs I always used wasd, but as my skill increased I found a hybrid learned to mouse for movement and left hand for 1-10 or macros. As I got more into pvp I had to bind a few of the 1-10 to my mouse 5-10 were to slow. I guess my point is speed and reaction speed is crucial if you wish to be competitive. And if ur competitive free swing isn't gonna happen because your skills are better uses of ur time.

4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The one thing I like about the free attack mode is that my avatar can use it to preserve focus and still do damage. I agree that the current implementation of the free attack has its drawbacks, and needs some more work.

It does turn off the ability to move using only the two mouse buttons, which is often inconvenient. Aside from making it difficult to use the number keys as @redfish mentions, it is impossible to move and press the "P" key at the same time when looking for vacant lots.

Luckily, it is possible to enable the old auto-attack functionality in the settings until the free attack mode is improved upon.

5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea Kara but auto attack does damage also though less if you decided to use a key to power up free swing. My suggestion to tie auto attack into free swing would work. But you have to free up mouse movement.

It really feels like a waste of time though because we have cool skills for attacks. And the only thing auto attack needed was cooler polish. It's not ment to kill things just eat up a little down time. Make it cooler or adjust damage based on positioning elevation etc.

Sweetmcpwnsauce and Kara Brae like this.
  6. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

wasd is common movement in computer games?

7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yup but as games advanced they added mouses ;)

Most modern games allow either as does Sota, it's just broken with the new free attack.

Sweetmcpwnsauce and Womby like this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well free attack is not done by any means and Chris did say perhaps it later it can be programmed onto another key instead of being on the mouse where some people use that to walk. When I played Tera at first it drove me crazy that my mouse keys were taken up by hits and attacks. I kept trying to walk and my beserker would take a step forward and hit the ground with her huge axe. I did mostly get used to it, but I think it would be great to be able to program it on another key for those who want to. I am encouraged by the steps the team is taking to explore new avenues in combat. It is too soon to tell where all of this may lead in my opinion.:)

9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I actually am not a fan of it either but lots of people want that style of combat. The issues with mouse movement shouldn't be too hard to address though.

10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea I've come around on a few things, like the glyph system has improved esp. Since u can stack slots now. But I think this competes with skills/spells for my attention, also the system that's in place is fine for the intended purpose.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea bind it to another key but when u do that ull be competing for pushes with the 10 other keys you have. That's kinda painful for a low damage filler attack.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Where you put the attack could be your choice or who knows turned off as it is now. For me as a warrior type player I like having the free attack. I know nothing is done yet. I am just looking forward to much more.;) I am a fan of how the hitting attacks work in this game and no I am not saying we should do as this game does exactly. So this is Examina which is the testing server for the game to be Sui Geris. They only have 6 developers total.

13. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

That was my take away testing it today as well. I noticed I preserved more focus in this mode than in others, as my style shifted to mouse attacks vs. just picking the next card all the time.

Overall I like the freedom that if offers. But I suspect it will be a liability for melees in PVP when they are so busy evading ranged attacks and running down targets that there won't be much time to pay attention to this and auto attacks may be more appreciated. Dunno.

Sweetmcpwnsauce likes this.
  14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea I see your point take it off the mouse and give me to option to use auto attack and I'd care less about it. I'd rather use that extra click for a skill or spell.

15. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I suppose you could bind it to a number key, like 2, if they let you...
    Aaaaaand there we reach my thinking on auto-attack. It exists to represent that constant searching for small openings in melee combat that any competent fighter does. Maybe it won't be a super strong hit, maybe it will, but you never stop threatening your opponent. When I see that my character ONLY attacks when I use some big super ability with mystic powers, it annoys me. When I fight, my blade is always threatening, always searching, and that keeps my opponent back. IF they give me a big opening then I attempt a move, but normally both people are on guard. That doesn't mean they aren't attacking, just that they are both constantly parrying and dodging as well.

KuBaTRiZeS and Logain like this.
  16. pirAte gAmbit

pirAte gAmbit Avatar

As far as I know from last developers hangout the auto-attack will be removed completly and everybody will have the joy of using free atack :-D

17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

If that's the case then that's terrible news for all of the reasons stated above.

18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It is not definite that it will be removed and it depends on feedback. Chris only said he hoped we'd all like it so much.

19. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Isn't that what they said about the deck system?

mikeaw1101 likes this.
  20. Sweetmcpwnsauce

Sweetmcpwnsauce Avatar

And that's were you forgot that not all skills and spells are big and powerful. I use my smaller spiels and skills to either A. swiftly get the kill, B. to stop from being killed, or C. to make an opening for my bigger spells. I haven't played, but comparatively to what a lot are saying this "free attack" should just be turned into a general skill/spell/ability/chance on hit. Also, please don't call it free. I propose if you white hit for a critical hit then maybe have a 5%-10% chance to get a second automatic hit that will do whatever your weapon damage is plus other factors like level/skill in that particular weapon you are using, but basically it would be another white hit of most likely normal or less damage. Why I say normal damage or less is because I don't think it would be right to get a critical hit from a chance on hit ability. <];D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.