Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

R20 Feedback from Carlin the Archer

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Carlin the Druid Archer, Aug 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Just some quick feedback about how I've found R20 so far

Firstly, great work Portalarium! The game is coming along nicely :) Some of my comments appear negative but only because it's my objective, hopefully constructive feedback, not because I'm unhappy with the game.

Quest Items Regenerating
    Quest items musn’t regenerate in front of player (e.g. the books for the virtue quest). There must be only 1 per player so players can’t gather a whole bunch and give to others. Also it is quite immersion breaking to see things reappear.

Meaningless Death
    I find death quite meaningless and without risk at the moment. There are ankhs everywhere that are so easy to get to when you die and even if you can't find one then it's no big deal. Kind of takes away any risk/meaning from death. I think you should lose stats and lose items/gold... it needs to be meaningful and risky.

New home decorations
    I really dislike the flags with light coming out of them on peoples yards. Looks very strange, is that temporary??? Also I find the obsidian keeps popping up everywhere to be quite strange too, towns are starting to look a bit of a mess.

Rabbits, dear and other prey
    These animals should flee when approached, this would make bows more useful as per real world.

The Fonts etc
    Font for names needs to be thinner font (less bold). also titles should appear smaller than Names to make them more easily distinguishable. (Hopefully the whole UI is getting a makeover)

More decorations / ambience in NPC shops / houses / bars
    Shops, bars etc in cities are still too sparsely decorated. Been an issue for a while now, just need some static objects like ‘junk’ lying around. Even the cities look too clean and clinical.

Other thoughts...

New, more subtle highlighting, is much much better.

Love the merchant in the encounter scene. great idea.

Encounters need to be visible on overland map so you can go around/avoid or choose to engage.

Like that gold from sales only collectable from local bank, not globally - adds reasons to travel in the game.

Vendors must look unique - maybe ability to make appearance via character creation interface??? Perhaps uniform clothing to identify them as vendors.

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Towns are just starting to look a mess? I thought it's been that way for over a year.

I think they need a redesign on the UI....hopefully there is a plan to replace the buttons in the upper right corner as they look out of place.

3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

They're intended to allow players to play capture the flag and such. I think the simplest solution is to restrict them to Player Owned Towns and and now allow them in NPC towns.

I've seen players set up fake storefronts that seem to be much better decorated than the NPC shops, which are pretty bare. Maybe the assumption was that cities had to be bare to reduce the item counts for performance.

The Hearth of Britannia comes to mind as an area that really needs a second pass. The purpose of the Hearth is supposed to be cooking but it seems fairly devoid of food or cooking stations.

4. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Sorry totally against "Zoning" rules, just because what might appeal to some doesn't appeal to others.

5. enderandrew

They're an eye-sore and they completely ruin the lighting in scenes. I get they are a fund sandbox element if they are actually used for games.

Would you rather see a restriction on them or have them removed completely?

6. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Ummm you forgot to add "none of the above" my friend. I simply do not agree. ;)

7. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

A few comments:

8. Carlin the Druid Archer

Thanks Gabriel, appreciate everyone has their own opinion on the ascetics :)

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  9. Gabriel Nightshadow

Thanks Carlin. By the way, encounters will eventually be visible on the overland map ;) They're just trying to tweak them first (i.e., make them more meaningful...) before they do that :)

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Great capture the flag, what an awesome immersion setting function.

An old discussion that keeps popping up. It seems many are in favor of the shroud of the homeless that many of the lots look like. I'm not sure if they have fixed this yet, but they used to allow massive stacking to the point of craziness...people said it was art....I guess.

11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Sarcasm?

If so I actually agree with you. In principle I don't object but would have preferred them to have been linked to guilds. Better using guild crests and without the glow.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Yep.

13. enderandrew

Which is precisely why they should be kept to PoTs.

14. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Regarding the not finding the Ankhs, are you still having problems finding it when you follow the marker on the compass or is it that it's too far away?

15. Gabriel Nightshadow

Usually too far away from one :( Don't reach it in time before I auto revive at the entrance arch and have to wait out the death penalty :oops:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    Lord Baldrith and 4EverLost like this.
  16. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

several times I have auto revived when I've almost reached the ankh.
    To be annoyed that I respawn too quickly feels odd.. but then again there is no real punishment for dying so...

4EverLost likes this.
  17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

No worries, they intend to add looting from both players and monsters to some degree. your newly aquired stuff will no logner be safe!

Deer were fleeing, except the very large and obsidian deer, but those are dangerous anyways. If they arent fleeing anymore then it may be a bug but i believe they still do.

18. Carlin the Druid Archer

One other point that I was supposed to add to my list:

Gold has value: difficult to earn = good
    Not sure if other people are finding the same but I can't find any kind of easy gold making scheme which means at the moment gold is holding its value. I did hear rumour of some people finding great treasures in the Obsidian Keep quest, but by the time I did it it was only relatively profitable.

I hope this continues going forward as having a well balanced economy will be good for the sandbox part of the game.

19. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Lord British hates this too! We'll work on a better solution.

20. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Can you flag if the player has the item in their inventory, then hide it from them in the game? So kind of reverse instancing objects...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.