Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Two dudes kill a troll using magic and no one is using Reagents? WHAT?

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Aug 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

Also consider the nutrition system in which there may be an alcoholic effect from consuming too many potions.
    Take this for example. Pay attention to the visuals & side effects in my stat window:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    margaritte, majoria70 and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  2. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Reagents should required for each spell and lootable in PvP.

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

The lootable part is key I think.

Bambino and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  4. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

What I should have said is IF IT IS GOING TO BE IN THE GAME, then as I have stated above.... But you know, reagents don't have to be used for skills at all .... garlic for cooking and health potions etc , mandrake roots and sulfurous ash in alchemy for potions , cotton for cloth etc , black pearls can be used for jewelry etc. So reagents don't have to be used for spells or skills. Collecting reagents I find enjoyable and I do want them in the game ... but they can be used for a variety of things not just spells....

5. Elhaym

Elhaym Avatar

Reagents don't feel like they are part of the economy. are they used in any recipes?

6. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

yes crafting some food, and potions ,,,,, but you also need them for spell casting and for special arrow skills etc .... maybe other stuff too I duuno :confused:

Elhaym likes this.
  7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I am ok with the current "few spells don't require reagents and some spell do require reagents" approach currently in the game.

I am still looking for a Ring af Reagents as my playstyle would perfer that when I cast my magic. In my AD&D campaigns that was one of the first treasures discovered.

Just wanted to throw this out there.

docdoom77 likes this.
  8. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

while i do not know the answer to either of these and wont' speculate on one, i think there should be a Third question here:

How many people, with AND without reagents, should it take to kill a troll? Why that number and combination?

1. i for one wish that there will not be a requirement for reagent use in all but the highest tier of spells.
    2. i feel that the way it is now, the focus use is much less, and the effectiveness of the spell is much greater, if you DO use reagents, is the best route to go. - but still needs to be tweaked to show a marked difference in when you do and do not use reagents.
    3. conversely, i feel that the top-tier spells should always require reagents, and still have a high fizzle/backfire rate until that skill is mastered, at which point you still have a 20% chance to fizzle.

just think about point 2, the RP possibilities for a hedge wizard casting small cantrips/enchantments roaming around the countryside, as opposed to everyone being an uber-powered magical juggernaut of doom and destruction and mayhem. why must we all be the same? where is the fun in that?

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  9. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

the exact same goes for archery. try to play as a pure archer from the start. impossible. you literally can't, because you can't get a bow or arrows, unless if you pay for it on the stretch goal store or have one from a pledge, and run away from the skellies in the 'tutorial' till you can get to the bank. arrows and the different types should be considered reagents, and optional to use, instead of manditory.

someone once suggested quivers instead of arrows, that you wield in offhand. i can dig that. but there'd need to be pouches for reagents too.

10. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

The people calling for mandatory reagent use and making comparisons to UO seem to forget that even a starting mage could kill something like a wolf with just one spell. In SotA... it's a lot more.

Same problem with archery. Ammunition expenditure (and that is all reagents and arrows are) vs. even trash mob HP is super high. Imagine fighting that troll in UO before LRC armour. You'd have to make half a dozen trips to the bank during the fight just to restock on reagents.

ThurisazSheol, docdoom77 and Chatele like this.
  11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@ThurisazSheol
    I'd love it if there were cantrips and social magic which have no real combat value.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/social-magic.15304/
    Smokerings, juggling colored balls, purify water, beacons of light, fire works, intoxicate, etc.

If life and water magic could be helpful with farming. If fire and earth magic could be helpful with smithing. If death magic could help with slaughter.
    Etc.

If the compass could have an earth spell which marks the spot where I am for my party.
    If the books could have a moon spell for writing and reading invisible text.
    If an air spell could give me a high eagle eye view of the overland.
    Etc.

In a world so full of magic as New Brittania I'd like magic to have many more uses than mere combat.

But for combat magic in an MMO setting I want it to have a cost associated to drive the crafting economy. Staffs and wands with wear, reagents, preparetion kits. Whatever.

12. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I have never killed a troll
    I never hope to do it
    I wanted to, but knew not how
    I tried my best but blew it.

13. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

@Spoon - yes. yes! YES! all of this.

sun magic for reading certain texts at night or underground, moon magic for invisible texts during the day.

let certain types of reagents be placed inside (almost like containers, or gems in diablo3,ish) the magic weapons (or the pouches i mentioned), stackable, so they can bolster the spells used. let crafters imbue those items with those reagents too, for a permanent boost to certain TYPES of magic and/or spells.

margaritte and Spoon like this.
  14. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

or, if the player really likes a specific spell, imbue the weapon with giant stacks (1000+)of that specific set of reagents, so it is a permanent use of the reagents without having them on the player anymore. - so if nightshade, for example is one of the reagents in that spell... you don't need nightshade for the other spells that require nightshade anymore (but you still need the others not imbued). i'd say only a master enchanter/crafter should be able to make that be 'a thing' on the weapon, also crafted by a master smith/carpenter/etc..

15. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

All those examples are awesome. Definitely a must! Those kind of effects should be granted skill point free for people investing in the magic trees. Really awesome.

Ideas like these make me feel that having skill trees as the only way to learn skills is insufficient; let's see if usage skill comes in and what they do with it.

ThurisazSheol and Spoon like this.
  16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Min/maxing? :/

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I always opposed that decision for this exact reason. Heal spells basically allow fighters to play in a cheaty manner by constantly spamming heal on themselves while they're already being protected by good armor.

Paladin archetypes from other RPGs weren't a good enough reason to reduce fizzle rates with armor.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Eagle eye. ;)

ThurisazSheol, Spoon and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  19. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Yeah, it feels as if the skill tree were meant to be used with full plate. I think it will be better if there's an innate in those trees (Life and Earth and whatever it's deemed to be part of the skill set of a warrior) that reduce the fizzle rate caused by armor... but just reducing it for free doesn't feel (neither felt) right.

20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Sorry for the multiple posts; I'm going through this thread sequentially. These have been my suggestion on reagents for a while -- its a good enough time as any to bring them up again --

- Require reagents for even first-tier spells, but allow mage weapons like wands, staves, or even things like mage blades to reduce the reagent requirements / fizzle chance for 1 school of magic, to the point that it would make first and second tier spells of that one school free with a 100% cast chance. That encourages specialization, both across magics, and between mages and fighters, while not requiring it. It also provides a route in the game for mages to function without reagents.

- Give reagents durability/charges/potency, so one reagent can be used for more than one spell. You'd see the total number of charges you have rather than the total number of reagents on the glyph. Also, potentially only a chance to be consumed. There have been other proposals, like grinding reagents into essences, or crafting reagent bags (like above), but I still like this solution best. But any way you do it, it would increase the mileage of reagents, also add an interesting element in that you could have different types of the same reagent.

- Bring back the free bag slots that we saw in early releases, and create an easy way to access them. This would allow mages an easy ability to organize and access their reagents, rather than them just being dumped in the general inventory. I really don't like the single list dump inventory.

Katrina Bekers and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.