PoT's and perception of over power.

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by rune_74, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

So get this. I have a POT Holdfast. Not because I want to run a guild town. But because I might give lots away to people that seem cool. Maybe I will upgrade it just for grins.

But here's the thing. Until today, nobody cared because none of you even knew! Does anyone in this thread care? Did that just affect your gaming one bit?

I think not. Why? Its the old adage that if the tree in the woods somewhere fell, but you never even contemplated the woods, did it ever even really exist?

I said this because I think there is a critical issue in the debate here. There is a difference between a philosophical issue and a real game play practical issue. Practical vs. Philosophical.

Philosophically, some here are arguing that POTs are affecting player choice. Practically, how could that be so if you didn't even know I had lots available if you just asked? But didn't know to?

By the way, you all are banned from my little empty town, except Baron Drocis. Because I like his willingness to tow lines. Just kidding. About the banning :)

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm saying that in jest of course...

But I hope you see the slippery slope you're on. I know I do. Today it might be Blake, tomorrow it might be me. The next day it might be anyone. Mob rules don't have a history of solving these disputes very well.

What's wrong with just not going to their POT? Doesn't that solve the problem?

cartodude and mbomber like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm wouldn't blame or credit players for the choices made by the developers.

Ravicus Domdred, Xandra7 and mbomber like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

There used to be someone else here that talked like that, her name was Cailya. She didn't wear a hooded cloak.

The problem I always had with her ideas was that they were absolutest. They left no room for compromise. So you could talk to her 1000 times and the answer was always the same, POT = bad, pledges = bad, dev+ = bad.

I don't miss her. But I hope she's happy wherever she went.

mbomber likes this.
  5. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

I am very happy to work with you and any players in game and out to try to make this a better game. I take everyone's opinion seriously even if it do not agree with the particular point they are making at the time. I hope and think we can find ways to make this game enjoyable for players with different play styles.

Ravicus Domdred and cartodude like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

I'm devastated by the trees that might be falling in the woods. :)

mbomber likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

8. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

I am not caliya. I do know who you speak of though. She was very rude and bad at backing her facts up. If you think I am her then you should retract your statement because it is a direct insult.

Ravicus Domdred and mbomber like this.
  9. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

My intent is to rent out POT lots for minimal in game gold or free. My payment will come in knowing everyone renting for a pittance will be one less person paying a profiteer. I didn't pledge to this game to financially recoup my pledge. I pledged to support the game and have fun.

10. Drocis the Devious

I don't think you're her, I was just putting context into my argument. Love the hooded cloak by the way.

mbomber likes this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

True. I agree.

mbomber likes this.
  12. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

I try to speak with clarity and my position. I try not to use emotion in my statements because it gets misconstrued. I think my points are clear and valid. Others should use the same mentality on the forums instead of saying things that can be construed as rude or insulting.

13. Verit

Verit Avatar

If I am not mistaken, most of the POTs will not be visible unless you travel through other towns. Point being that you will have to actively seek out these places. There will be some on the over map too, granted. Unless a town is on an over map and has an offensive name or something of that nature, I fail to see how a person's POT will impact your enjoyment of the game. Just walk past.

What is next? Will people say I can't ban someone from entering my house?

The way I look at it , POT is like a really big house. It is their house/POT to do with it what they want.

14. Drocis the Devious

The key is always to know when someone feels insulted as we each have our own hot buttons. Now that I know yours, I'll be sure to stay away from that approach in the future.

mbomber likes this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

A POT is actually EXACTLY like a big house. It even uses a lot of the same mechanics and architecture as I understand it.

mbomber likes this.
  16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Anyway, there are plenty of people who think the devs putting in POTs was a bad decision, or maybe just the cash aspect was a bad decision. I think that's a valid opinion.

My view on this is just that its a done deal. POTs are in the game. The only question remains is how can we make POTs live up to the promise of making the game better for all players.

17. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

diedrich. In my scenario, and hopefully I am wrong. Most of the people that have bought multiple deeds in the add on store will be in a position to gain more people for their town just by having deeds. The lottery will not be instant and will be drawn out. The people that have deeds will place them and players will use them for housing instantly because they do not want to wait for deeds. This will make most of the other towns dead as many of the players will be going to the towns that have deeds available.

18. Drocis the Devious

YES! I agree.

I'd love to move beyond "POTs = bad" conversations.

mbomber and cartodude like this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

That's a valid point. But don't those people take a risk for going to those places? And what's wrong with someone having lots of deeds for their POT if they helped back the game?

mbomber likes this.
  20. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

It is a risk its true, but like you said it is a valid point. Whether they took the risk or not does not validate to me that it is a right choice. I don't blame a person for backing the game, but when they think its an investment (meaning "return" with profit) on the backs of players then I have a problem. It will get back into the articles as a negative feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.