Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Production Experience gain methods

Discussion in 'Release 25 Feedback Forum' started by Drake Aedus, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

So it seems from my casual use in game that the only way to accumulate Production Experience is to practice a gathering skill (successful use required). I consider that not all players interested in crafting may be interested in gathering as well.

Shouldn't there be an experience gain rate for successful uses of refinement and production skills as well, in order to provide a means for those skills to be trained in use?

This seems even more important for me to point out as @Chris has stated that crafting skills will apply production experience on-use at a greater rate after the wipe.

2. Lace

Lace Avatar

Oh my had not heard it will be a greater cost, its a pain now to gain production experience.

(when more quests are added I know thats an option but those are a one time deal)

3. agra

agra Avatar

Currently, afaik, you can't be a dedicated crafter and not gather. This reduces the target demographic a bit. (and invalidates some of the developer claims/promises from years ago) If there's a way to do it, that is, be a dedicated crafter, whereby you only perform actions at a crafting table for the entirety of the life of your character, I've never read how that could be done nor have I figured it out in-game, without gathering.

Currently, for testing, some players gain experience at a 4x modified rate, compared to 'normal'. If the 1X rate remains unchanged, it will be an intolerable grind for some people, and this will again, reduce the target demographic a bit. I've played with both rates, so that's my personal opinion on that, having seen both, first hand.

I sincerely hope Portalarium isn't so naive as to use think that adjustment of XP rates AFTER " final wipe " and/or AFTER "Ep1 Launch" won't reduce the existing customer base, via alienation.
    Every fantasy themed persistent multiplayer online game that uses XP rates as the " dial - o - difficulty " and then changes that dial after the fact? Massive customer dissatisfaction and loss. In some cases, whole guilds just walk away. Why?
    Because these adjustments simply slap the face ( or insult the effort of, if you prefer ) every player that had to endure the more difficult rates/quests/content. It's just a bad idea for testing, but $deity help you if you try it after the game is live.

Ice Queen and Aldo like this.
  4. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

It is not my understanding that skill gain will be a higher cost, just greater gains on some and lower cost on others. Let me grab a quote actually...

So my interpretation is that gathering and crafting skills will go up faster. But yes, without additional means to replenish the Production Exp pool, it will deplete faster as well.

Lace likes this.
  5. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

To expand on this, you can't be a dedicated gatherer either. You must fight for every single resource as they are all guarded by hostile NPCs.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  6. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

You must be all 3 to make your mark.Gatherer,Producer and Refiner..

KuBaTRiZeS and Fox Cunning like this.
  7. Fox Cunning

...and Fighter, because as soon as you get to that one bulb of garlic, the whole fauna will be trying to kill you.

Lord-Galiwyn, Lace and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  8. Selene

Selene Avatar

Well, I would think once farming is properly implemented, you should be able to get XP from gathering in farms, which would be safely in towns and not in the wilds of Novia.

9. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

That's true but what about the lumberjackers and miners? ore and timber have been always precious resources in the medieval times and mines and forests were secured by the royalty. I think we should at least have one or two scenes where is safe to gather, at least of the most basic kind and at the lowest ratio.

I also think we should have some kind of "resource searching" mechanic that allow the player to search for places with resource nodes; you walk around the Overland map, got pulled into a scene with some resources... harvest, and keep searching.

Needless to say, i agree with the OP. Being able to be all is cool, but making it necessary can be a real gamebreaker for some.

Phydra and Fox Cunning like this.
  10. Fox Cunning

I do hope so, but there are many other considerations, and I don't want to derail this thread - sorry if I already did a little bit.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  11. Noric

Noric Avatar

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Secured or not, its a bit silly when every tree you can cut down has a wolf standing next to it, never moving. "Rrrr.. Don't touch my tree!" I think the aim of 'every resource is protected by a mob, so risk vs reward' is a bit artificial and unnecessary.

Its okay that certain resources, like basic lumber, are relatively cheap. Its okay I think if scenes had much more tree nodes in them. Even though, in general, I don't think grinding be catered to, it makes sense in this case. There could be more expensive wood in the game. I look forward to things like rare, ancient yew trees that can be cut to create longbows and wizard staves.

Wilfred, Lord Baldrith, Noric and 3 others like this.
  13. Lace

Lace Avatar

I did read somewhere that they were doing another pass and increasing nodes in some scenes I cannot remember when but I did read that.

FrostII and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  14. Lace

Lace Avatar

Also since we can train up meticulous collection, does it not seem logical that when a meticulous hits, or when we crit on a node harvest that some bonus producer xp should kick in. I would love to see that.

Drake Aedus likes this.
  15. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

All of them? That's sad if true; it should be possible to be well known for gathering or refining just as for combat, production, etc. Of course, no one in the real world understands or appreciates farmers or refineries unless they're living in proximity to someone who does it... so perhaps the idea that we should be able to have celebrity for gathering, growing, refining, as well as production just isn't enough on anyone's cultural radar to merit game inclusion. Personally, I have a small farm stand/community garden I visit each week out of the month that they're open; they always have the best, freshest, and most delicious produce and I know I'm buying both organic and local. While not uncommon, it isn't for lack of merit, but lack of popularity.

Anyway... you know what they say about putting wishes in one hand and dung in the other and seeing which one weighs you down faster.... ~wry grin~

FrostII and Fox Cunning like this.
  16. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

Or have lived on a Farm

FrostII likes this.
  17. Selene

Selene Avatar

Well, the devs have talked about placing low level resources in POTs which would be the equivalent of mining in that little arc near the farms outside of Britain in UO.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  18. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Aye, I'm seeing no way a person can just be a crafter either, unless you just have friends, family, guild members feeding you mats. People that come into the game thinking they won't have to fight anything to be a crafter will be very disappointed. Not to mention how time consuming the grind for mats is at the moment. Unless you have people feeding you mats it isn't possible.

19. agra

agra Avatar

I think given the way XP consumption works today, unless you're gathering yourself to increase your Producer pool, you would consume that pool and have no skill improvements after a certain point of using crafting tables exclusively.
    Yes, you could technically still craft, but you'd never increase your skills. Not ideal, to be sure, for those looking to be a dedicated crafter.
    Aug 15, 2013: ( Hangout of the Avatar )
    Apr 2, 2014: ( Deep Dive - Crafting )
    They've been very cautious about the wording on this topic in the past, so I don't think forcing dedicated crafters to gather breaks any previous claims or promises, which is unfortunate. :oops::confused:

KuBaTRiZeS and Ice Queen like this.
  20. Noric

Noric Avatar

That is very bad to hear. This is potentially a huge step back from the UO system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.