Is shroud a game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silverglade, Feb 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silverglade

Silverglade Avatar

I thought the purpose of games was to have fun, an escape. I see so many posts people want the dev's to make everything harder and harder. Some people supporting this game do not want this to be a freaking job. I have one. I spend about 60+ a week at. I come here to unwind, relax and have fun. Can the player base that's trying so hard to turn this game for their own private agendas and finances please relax a bit sheesh.

2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

more than an action game... However, unlike RL, everyone has equal opportunity to be and do what they want. I think the harder is really the desire to make it more rewarding, making accomplishments mean something.

That is how I see it. Great question though.

3. agra

agra Avatar

Fun is the last priority, not the first, currently.

4. HairballHacker

HairballHacker Avatar

I sympathize with your sentiment. The game will be what it will be.

The backers can be roughly divided into the following camps or factions:
    • There is a faction of people here who want to soft-model "reality".
    • Then there is another faction that comes from the "that's how it was done in UO/Ultima/Back-in-the-Day" point of view.
    • Then there are the "the-trouble-with-the-modern-MMO-player" crowd that want to teach "kids-these-days" a lesson. This is also the anti-"kids-these-days-want-everything-handed-to-them-on-a-silver-platter" crowd.
    • Then there is the rose-tinted-glasses\nostalgic faction who want to recover some long-lost feeling of playing certain games back when they were a kid and who may not understand yet that you can never really return home.
    • Then there is everyone else. Or at least me, a faction of one.
    FYI: my comments are made in jest, for the most part, so take them with a healthy grain of salt.

And get off my lawn, punk.

5. Mekong

Mekong Avatar

For me it's not about a private agenda or finances. It's about not making a game so easy that it's a month of play and people move on quickly. It's the "that which we achieve to easily we esteem to little theory"

6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Regardless, in a way, we are being part of the history of game development here.. So far there are Star Citizen and SotA that heavily based on crowdfunding. Whether it's a success or failure, you can tell your child and grand child that once you were part of something huge.

7. HairballHacker

HairballHacker Avatar

And Camelot Unchained!!!???!!! I was/am there too!

Ice Queen likes this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

This.

The fact that its a game is why certain things need to be harder to do. Otherwise its just a chatroom with grinding. A themepark MMO, or whatever way you want to put it. I don't know about you, but that's something I'd grow bored of very quickly and would not find fun.

During the pre-release, I've done a lot of testing, grinding over from level one, and then every wipe I rebuild decorations over again. Without the wipes and testing, I would have gotten bored with the game a long time ago. Like I get bored with most MMOs.

The only thing that will make it a game and not a themepark is if not everything is easy to do.

9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This is the only game I ever played where I had as much or more fun doing nothing, hanging with fellow avatars than trying to accomplish something. I think that is pretty special.

10. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Yes, and an awesome one at that. Passions run high here, and our tanks are never empty. Don't let the community dissuade you from the game. Play it and see for yourself.

11. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

PM me and I'll tell you who's wrong and who's right. ;)

12. Rabum Alal

Rabum Alal Avatar

I've often had this thread's question occur to me, but for the exact opposite reasons OP has elaborated upon.

When an MMO becomes just too easy to play, I start to categorize it as a virtual chat program.

Games require challenge. That of course is my opinion, and I'm the kind of player who isn't deterred with dying a lot.

[​IMG]

Fox Cunning and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  13. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

HI! There are easy parts and then there are difficult parts. there are going to be a lot of both so I agree with "Mekong" and what Christ Roberts ( Chairman of Star Citizen ) "A Game should be easy to play but hard to master". There are so many games out there to choose from that can be mastered in a few weeks or so that's its getting to be like games are being developed like fast food! and with little depth and light and fast gratification that is over in a very short time until the next quick and short lived high..

14. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

So far the pre-alpha/beta whatever you want to call it is a Sandbox, you can do as little or as much as you want. You don't have NPCs begging you to finish a quest. You can enter any area without quest-forced-restriction. You can choose to login, fish, log out. Be as chill is you want. But the already in place harvesting, mining, skinning, lumberjacking and crafting is already designed to take a good amount of time to accomplish. So if you don't want the game to be a job I just recommend avoiding crafting, as crafting *will* feel like a job to some. I look forward to the challenge of crafting a high quality sword, don't expect it to be easy, expect it to take months to craft 'the best sword ever', then expect by the time I craft it there will be dozens that are better. This is something that gives an online game longevity. The longevity is based on the player driven economy. Even monsters will 'buy' player crafted items, which is very cool. I hope the complexity is as they've talked about, with astrological consequences as well, crafting an item during a particular alignment so the item is infused with the powers, this style of magic was actually practiced in ancient Europe, this is a minute detail mostly forgotten to today, which is why I was surprised to hear about it in this game, as I just recently read a few books on the subject. Looking forward such complex elements being unveiled in this game.

15. Ajacied1987

Ajacied1987 Avatar

All i want is a little bit of the old school UO sphere nostalgia feeling back :D

16. Rabum Alal

Rabum Alal Avatar

"oOOoOOoo Ooo OoOOoO oOoo"

[​IMG]

Budner, Stahlknecht, monxter and 3 others like this.
  17. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I thought everyone had fun making it harder ... giggity...

LadyGray and Budner like this.
  18. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Every bodies version of "Fun" is different, and SotA is a "Fantasy" game, so you really don't have to do anything if you want too... Walk around and explore or build your skills or talk to other players, whatever winds your clock... I don't think this game is "hard", but if you don't know what your doing it could be very hard to some...

Lord Hettar Fimbultyr likes this.
  19. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

It's a vastly different game for each person, based on what their expectations are for "fun"; obviously, what some folks like doesn't always jibe with my own version, but that happens.

Mainly, find what it is that you enjoy, and see if the game delivers it. I'm personally not a fan of the behemoth that player housing has become towards market speculation, but it is what it is at this point. I'm just steering as clear as possible until it pans out.

20. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Surely there is balance between simplistic, boring game design and game design which becomes punitive due to its complexity. Most of SOTA's mechanics give depth and richness to the game. Some though have evolved into fun-killing PITAs. The devs say their mantra is "fun first" but sometimes they deviate substantially from that important principle IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.