Open PvP with full loot everywhere in online mode?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Ara, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Two things, though:

- No one ever said PvP wouldn't be in the game. What has been promised instead, and repeated times, is that non-consensual PvP wouldn't be in the game. As Chris Spears explained once, the open world is PvP, but the open world is not open PvP, meaning that players can attack each other anywhere in the open world if both are PvPers, but players can't attack other players that are not PvPers.

- Moderators are, to the best of my knowledge, not devs. So, a moderator's answer about things that are not related to actual forum moderation isn't absolute. This doesn't change the amount of respect they deserve, of course; it's just that quoting them as if they were devs, to the best of my knowledge, is a mistake.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

The way it has been explained by the devs up to now, OPO will be a PvP mode for players that have opted into PvP. For players that don't want to PvP, OPO is a PvE mode.

So, there is a PvP mode in OPO when you opt into PvP. It even uses instancing and player matching to make sure you only see other players you can attack, creating the illusion of an open PvP mode.

It just isn't exclusively a PvP mode; a PvE player in OPO will never have to worry about being attacked by other players.

Edit: FPO likely isn't exclusively PvE, BTW. FPO merely allows greater control over who the player sees in game, but PvP in FPO mode should still be possible, and might even become popular as a way to duel and have group combat without external interference.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. God

God Avatar

Ok dude I'm going to try one last time to be calm with you..

SPO and FPO shouldn't be what anti-pve'ers HAVE to resort to in order to not be pk'ed/looted.
    I am 99.9 percent positive that you have no friends that will be playing this game that you would be willing to leave OPO for.. So why should they? Especially with the "slider" option? You never answered that question either.

It's time for you to move on and stop cluttering the boards with the same old stuff and find a legit solution to the problem instead of telling everyone else (which realistically, anti pvp/full looters outnumber us pro pvp'ers anyways.. So with your solution, WE would be the ones needing to switch to FPO) that they shouldn't be able to play with everyone else.

And since I said that, it dawned on me that technically, your solution would be completely reversed if it DID come into play, with US having to go to FPO with our friends that support full loot, etc.

Umbrae likes this.
  4. God

God Avatar

@sir_tim obviously STILL doesn't understand "selective multiplayer" and the reasoning behind it.

Koldar likes this.
  5. God

God Avatar

Instead of crying about not being able to gank everyone that sucks at or doesn't care to pvp, why can't you simply take a second.. Read about selective multiplayer.. Understand it, even if you have to read it a couple times.. Get better at pvp since youre obviously trying to be the wolf attacking the sheep because you have some underlying insecurity/virtual power dependence.. And be thankful that we are being allowed even an OPPORTUNITY to have the game how we want it..

..instead of complaining and arguing with EVERYONE?

Since you STILL have not brought any ideas to the table, all of these posts you're making are just becoming an annoyance and hindering those who have the ability to think out of the box to do just that.. Because they are caught up trying to explain to you for the 500th time that YOU CAN HAVE OPEN PVP, AND EVERYONE THAT DOESN'T WANT IT DOESN'T HAVE TO HAVE IT ON.

Koldar likes this.
  6. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Just to expand on this a little, FPO should not be forced non-PVP either. I think taking any mode and making it exclusive to PVP/PVE is equally bad. 60-70% of people killed are killed by someone they know. ;)

Obviously Single Player will be non-PVP, just due to the absence of another player, but no reason to force Friends Only down any pigeon hole any more than Open World.

7. God

God Avatar

I
    I completely agree.. But that's also, in my eyes atleast, where the "slider" comes into play.

8. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

From what I gather I think the golden age of killing a noob taking gold to the bank is over. Opportunistic and random killing like coming across a macroing miner or executing someone running home are not going to happen. Not that I like it but my guess is in the end there will be a /pvp toggle or something similar.

I would love to see an open world like uo used to be where safety zones are towns only. Out of town you always have to be on your toes, travel in groups, stay away from over populated hunting grounds or just take a gamble.

Time Lord, Ara and Sir_Tim like this.
  9. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

I stil lsuspect it wil lbe in the game in some fasion. LB talked about noobies being "un-attackable' to other players. Why would they need that unless there was an Open PvP mode. LB talked about safe towns, guards and other things that would not be needed if not for an open PvP mode.

So dont threat... I suspect it will be in there. As I have pointed out several times... there are already at least 2 modes for PvE'ers... SP and FP.

10. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

I have no problem with new players being unattackable. In uo new players were given newbie status and you couldnt open trade or kill them.

having all these different modes to play in like single, multi, open will just divide the population.

I would have loved a single player uo for pvm. I would still play it now....

Time Lord, Sir_Tim and Ara like this.
  11. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

I agree, it divides up the population which is sad. But I kind of see it as making 3(at least 3 modes were described) game types for 3 different player types. Right now we know we have at least:
    -Single Player - Play off line alone, Pure PvE
    -Friend Play - Play with friends only or other guilds you are challenging, PvE with friends and Voluntary PvP
    -Stranger Play(know by several in the community as MMO mode, but its not really) - Nothing's really know about this mode, but Open Role Players(PvP compatible members) like myself are hoping its our mode where you can RP with other players in the fashion THEY want to RP.

Again... Im not a PvP'er. Im a PvE'er. But if someone wants to Role Play an ambushing mob that tackles me on my way to market with good... thats fine by me. I'm on line to RP with others and I backed the projects cause it sounded like this would be available. Just so long as what RG described as real in-game consiquences happen to them.

The opposition to the Open Role Players getting their mode in the last one is what baffles me the most... especially considering the safe guards that were described in a few videos and Dev discussions around PvP. But we as Open Role Players are hoping its because that last mode they described will be something for us! We pledged to the project too!

12. Owain

Owain Avatar

What will open role players lack with SotA as it is currently set up?

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

Thats the thing... no one knows... everyone one is jockeying for position.

The thing that scares me the most is hearing this small group of 9(as I count them) anti-PvP’ers rolling through the PvP forum ranting and raving saying NO, to anyone that wants Open Role Play mode. ORP would obviously include RPers that want to RP a thief, or murderer. They seem to want everyones cake and eat it too.

I'll give them credit... they are relentless.

This small group rants and rants all over the PvP forums. I was so disgusted with it, I have been tripling my efforts to rant in the other direction and make sure that the Open Role Players get their mode too.

14. Owain

Owain Avatar

Then I suggest that everyone ease off the throttle until at least the Alpha test. Right now, most people are nonproductively grinding metal on metal.

Forum PvP. I don't think the dev's are necessarily persuaded, given the wide variety of player styles SotA will support with the server matching system. If an Anti-PvP player objects to how I want to play the game, why should I care if they won't be flagging for PvP? Go play the game how you want, and I'll play the game how I want.
    Every time the rant, just point out that with server matching, no one has to take part in PvP unless the consent to take part in PvP.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

Ahmen!

I know it’s insane. If these few players that rant like they are a thousand get their way, there will be nothing for ORP… the best you can do is continue grinding against them being a squeaky wheel and hope you get some grease too.

I do have to agree though… they are probably the last people that should be involved in the PvP Forum.

Exactly. They can stay in their mode, and there is no reason for them to be in an Open RP mode.

You won’t even need to worry about them not being flagged. If they stay in their own mode, you won’t even see them.

Yeah, points I have made before… they can just stay in their other modes. If they want to consent… by all means, they can switch modes.

Guerrilla likes this.
  16. God

God Avatar

It's funny seeing you agree to this, knowing that I personally have, as well as countless other people, told you this a million times before.. Yet you keep on with your endless bickering.

There. You agreed, selective mp will solve it all. We get our open pvp world, now stop.

17. God

God Avatar

And on top of that, just because you OBVIOUSLY do not get it..

Selective multiplayer is NOT choosing between FPO, SPO and OPO. It is selective in terms of who you want to see/play with in OPO.

18. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

Who is bickering now? That hasnt been decided.

You cant just bicker with me, making things up and hope it will become true.

19. God

God Avatar

Make things up....?
    Not one thing I have said has been "made up."

Selective multiplayer is not choosing between SPO FPO and OPO. That's is what you are assuming..

If that was the case, then every online game has been "selective multiplayer. " but what you are assuming is completely wrong.

Again, SM is choosing WHO/WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE you will play with and see in OPEN PLAY ONLINE.

20. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

I believe this is the Kick Start information you are referring to God. Link Here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.