Open PvP with full loot everywhere in online mode?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Ara, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ara

Ara Avatar

As far as i know this havent been answered by the developers and i would like to have an answer if possible.

We know that the PvE players will be able to avoid PvP and play their gamestyle in online mode all over the game map.

Will the PvP players that want to experience full loot, guild wars, PK:s and a open world PvP have the same option as the PvE players or will there be restrictions like PvP only in arenas or in PvP quests?

That would for me be a gamebreaker since what i first seek in a MMO game is a game that cater for my playstyle and after that is cleared i start examining if i like gamefeatures, UI and so on.

I know the slider will be an option for type of gameplay but i would really like to hear there isnt restrictions for the open PvP crowd following this game. I want to be able to play the game just like i played Ultima Online felucca.

This might have been reported in one of the many developer cam hangouts so if someone know the answer i would appreciate some info on the matter.

KingRoland, Betamox, Kvow and 4 others like this.
  2. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@Ara:

I am sure the PVP crowd will be able to do the same, exact thing. BDev in one of his posts on this forum regarding "full loot" said he is in favor of the idea. So, I think in PVP mode you will see something similar to that (at least I'm hoping).

I hope they do understand that a large crowd of their players are going to be old Ultima Online fans. This is inevitable, as SoTA is following the footsteps of the previous Ultima franchise. As such, I think the game should be similar to Ultima Online in several regards; but with some updated game mechanics and graphics.

Many of those Ultima fans mentioned will be disappointed if this game follows the route of Everquest and WoW, similarly to almost every other game on the market at the moment. If that happens, I will not be spending any of my time in OPO mode.

Romulan likes this.
  3. Ara

Ara Avatar

@Ultima Aficionato - Yeah i have read alot on forums and listened to the developers and so far i have like bits and pieces on how open PvP will work.

The slider will if you move it all the way to the right in online mode put you in a open PvP world but how will that PvP world work out?

Will we that prefer such a gamestyle be able to PvP everywhere?

Will there be safe zones in the open PvP world?

Will we have a full loot option everywhere and towards all we fight?

Will we be able to PK and if so how will the alignment system work, statloss or some other consequences?

So many questions and so far i have only bits and pieces on how it will turn out.

4. 3djake

3djake Avatar

PvP almost every where might be a good idea, people should be able to run inside and lock the door tho.
    I think each player should have a limited amount of "safe slots" lets say 5 slots where the player can put 5 items that cannot be looted, everything else is up for grabs. IF a player has a item that they worked hard for and likes to carry it around but does not want to lose that item then there should be a way for them to do so. The player will have to choose very carefully what items they do not want to lose if they decide to jump into a PvP fray.

Or maybe there can be 5 "safe slots" and a 10% drop rate on the rest of the players loot.

Thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

5. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

@3dJake:

That's fine for the PVE mode, not the PVP mode. 5 "safe slots" are just way too many and easily exploitable. A player not wanting to risk anything can simply put all of the items they don't want to lose in the safe slots.

Also, this game is not going to be gear dependent based on what I have heard.

6. ND3G

ND3G Avatar

Certain items would have to be protected such as starting gear, achievement rewards, kickstarter exclusive items, maybe keys and house deeds, etc but everything else should drop when you die.

I hope SotA avoids a situation where most players have items that are so rare or hard to acquire that they simply cannot bear the thought of losing them. There are already plenty of MMOs focused on gear collecting.

Seeing as Portalarium is interested in making level progression very linear with a shallow slope I don't really see how they could make the game gear-centric any ways.

7. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

Good point, I agree about the achievement rewards and kickstarter exclusive items. I'm not sure how exactly housing will even work in this game. I've seen "deeds" mentioned elsewhere, but is it something you place like Ultima Online?

I guess if you buy a house you will be required to pay a subscription fee similarly to that of an MMO (heard this in a live dev chat I think)?

8. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

For Full PvP/Loot Players (not for pVe) we dont need ''Safe Zone''. Maybe a few citie and Town can have Guards, but no more. Villages ll be nice whit the Full PvP/Loot.

blaquerogue likes this.
  9. Ara

Ara Avatar

I dont like insurance but i can agree that some items as house keys and house deeds could be "newbified" as we said in UO. Starting weapons and what you wear at start could also be newbified as i see it, actually everything you start the game with could be newbified and not lost on death.

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

This is definitely a new idea.

docdoom77 and Time Lord like this.
  11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Maybe Portalarium could include a "true sandbox mode" into the game. So you would have offline SP, online SP, FPO, OPO and "true sandbox".
    In true sandbox-mode there would just be the world available without quests and mobs. Here PvP-players could fight themselves without having to deal with quests, the story and PvE. There could also be PK and full loot.

But I doubt that this would settle the issue. Reading through the pro-PvP-arguments on the forum gives me the impression that PvP-players will be statisfied only if non-PvP-players can be attacked, too - especially if they are unexperienced and easy prey.

12. ND3G

ND3G Avatar

Why would we want a proper PvP to only take place in a "sand box" or arena type mode? This is the spiritual successor to Ultima not Farmville.

Papa Woody, Terminator and Ulfhednar like this.
  13. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

There will be items you get through achievements and purchase which the Dev have said you will not loose. So the answer to that is no: technically full loot will not exist in the game. The Dev have said they may work in some kind of "option" for full loot, but nothing has been defined. Since there will be things you won't drop, full loot is kind of silly to keep talking about, and we should really focus on other ideas and suggestions.

Personally, I think that only certain things should drop: Gold, Healing/Buff items, quest items, etc. All these things are good to drop for allies too, so they can pay to raise you, heal you off the ground or finish the quest. For everything else some kind of salvage should drop equivalent to your items. The items you keep, if applicable, would also take some long term damage.

The Dev have also numerous times there will not be Open PVP. There will be safe zones. This will be expanded with PVP Guild type activities, but people will be able to stay safe when they want too even in online mode. It already been promised for Kickstarter, so that is a reality.

The will be a great game and I will enjoy the PVP in it. I have faith based on all the Dev feedback on the videos, chat and forums.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

@ ND3G I got that impression out of the discussion in this thread:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=why-pve

15. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

@Ara:

I believe the devs have already stated at least once that anything acquired through the pledges - including the two fruits, the unique gear, and the deed - can never be stolen, no matter what. I wouldn't be surprised if they were also bound to account, in order to avoid the risk of losing them to scams and account hacking.

As for the rest: I doubt there's much decided about how PvP, and death penalties (of which full loot is a kind), will work, apart from a few specific tidbits. The team is still deciding the details, and the opinions of individual developers already run the whole gamut, from self-assumed "carebears" to hardcore PvPers, from people that don't want a death penalty at all to people who want permadeath. Add player influence through the forums and it's close to impossible to predict how it will go.

My bet would be to have options, though. If I had to guess, I would say PvP missions, events, and maps won't allow player looting, but a full (and accepted) war declaration against an enemy guild will allow it, as well as some kind of individual opt-in mechanism for solo players that want the thrill of player looting but don't want to be part of a hardcore PvP guild.

docdoom77 and Time Lord like this.
  16. Ara

Ara Avatar

@Umbrae - Thanks for your response.

I'm fine with full loot as it was in UO, and i know it is often the game many compare with but there havent been that many full loot games so i go with UO, seems to fit right in here to. =)
    In UO you looted everything someone was wearing, potions, craftingmaterials, regs, money and on and on. There were items you got as a new player when you spawned first time into the game world that wasnt lootable. Housedeeds i cant remember but i think they werent lootable. House keys were lootable but it's ok if they arent in this game.

UO had open PvP and safe zones so i dont see the difference? Players inside towns in UO felucca were safe from dying, not thiefs, cause guards instakilled anyone trying to kill an innocent. Thiefs could be killed though.

And i dont understand why it even would have to be a difference to felucca UO?

Only the ones wanting to be active in a harsh PvP world with full loot and PK:s would enter such a gamestyle and since i know that so many would want such an option then why not provide one?

PvE oriented players would'nt be affected since they play without taking part in PvP, they wont even see the PvP players.

If PvE players get the full experience then i cant understand why the PvP crowd should settle for PvP guild type activities?

Vision OpenWorld likes this.
  17. Ara

Ara Avatar

@SilentStrider - Thanks for response.

Thats just fine, they should'nt risk loosing such rarities.

I think quests that is PvP based or missions that require PvP should have loot as one of the risks if the reward is good enough.

18. The Captain

The Captain Avatar

All these ideas are interesting. Sure, PvP is fun. But a tyranny of us alpha and beta participants who have already mastered the game mechanics and starter quests, found great drops and exploits, running around smoking newbies and building palaces to our supposed awesomeness thereby ensuring SotA never attracts a broad audience of new players? Not so fun.

19. Owain

Owain Avatar

@Captain, once the game has been, everyone is a new player (following a character wipe), and since PvP is by consent only, no one can be ganked without their approval. If new players find they can't compete with the veterans at first, they can unflag from PvP until they gain greater experience.
    In every MMO I've ever played (and I've played a many of them), the advantage beta testers have is fleeting at best.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  20. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I don't know what "open" means. What's the engagement model? Everyone has a totally different idea.

e.g.
    1) Is a town a safe zone? If so, does that mean anyone in OPO sees all players? If it's safe, there's no reason not to mix non PvP flagged players in.
    2) In another zone, is everything free for all? Or are there flagging rules? Is there such thing as a PK which gives bad karma of some kind? Are there teams of any kind? Is there friendly fire? Do people not marked for PvP even show up?

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.