Perma-Death option, yea or nay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BillRoy, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Sure I'll go with this. But no extra loot or anything, if you are suicidal/masochistic I don't see any reason you should also be rewarded for being that weird.

2. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

You are a person of generosity and understanding. Thank you for your support.;)

lollie likes this.
  3. Kallendal

Kallendal Avatar

Heard this argument MANY MANY times in the games.

Solid NO.

Granted if you want to RP something like this, all for it.

But simply too many things attached to a character (housing, money, pride)

Way too much to simply off it all.

Granted you probably could attach the real estate to a account vs. character, same with money and any other hard earned items.

But nothing stops you from friending 2nd character to a home and doing the same thing.

So RP your full death if you like..... At least mho concerning.

4. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

@Kallendal
    ~Really, you'd vote no if it was an option for single player?
    A thing that you would never have to do, or even know that other people are doing?
    A thing that would in no way impact you?

I can't even immagine telling somone that they are not allowed to do something that doesn't affect me or anyonelse in any way.

TigerKhan likes this.
  5. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

I say nay, if it's an option, than people who want to off themselves go ahead.....

Sir Stile Teckel and BillRoy like this.
  6. minorthreat55

minorthreat55 Avatar

Perma death? No way.

We need harsh dealth penalties like that of UO, but definitely not perma-death.

I highly doubt it will be implemeted. Or at least I would hope not.

MAYBE perma-death if you commit xxxx number of criminal acts. Obviously this number should be high if implemented in this manner.

Just my .02

TigerKhan likes this.
  7. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I didn't play UO much past 1999, the most harsh thing I remember about death was just dropping all your stuff out in the open.

But to answer the OP question, I just don't have enough time to play a game which is perma death. That being said, if there is an option people wish to use with it and it doesn't cost too much time for the devs to slip something in then I wouldn't see that as a bad thing for those people who want to play with a perma death character.

TigerKhan and BillRoy like this.
  8. mgear

mgear Avatar

Vote: yes.

also,
    Torchlight2 and Path of Exile would be good examples, in PoE you fall down to lower league if you die, items are kept..

but of course there should be something that you can gain from taking that option,
    for example can only enter some difficult "world" only if you are permadeath character..? or more exp in general..?

BillRoy likes this.
  9. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

Permadeath might make sense if there was some sort of ancestry mechanic that allowed for players to will their assets to descendants ( rerolled characters) so that players who have purchased plots and houses beforehand don't lose their real estate, items, etc. upon death otherwise you'd end up with a group of players trying to off the so-called "priviledged classes" in order to open up plots of land in key areas. Having a descendant would also give players an opportunity to explore different playstyles, gender, skillsets that they normally would not bother messing with because they were too invested in the current character being played. Another method of implementing it would be to retire a character especially if there were things like amputations or grievous injuries that could not heal (perma stat loss) and then will control over to a descendant character.

I have my doubts that the SotA team could pull it off well because there would be other mechanics needed to be tweaked to accomodate for the playstyle, and I doubt they would have the time or money to pull it off.

Of course, like others have mentioned, the choice of permadeath needs to be optional.

BillRoy likes this.
  10. minorthreat55

minorthreat55 Avatar

Well, that's what I meant by "harsh". All of your stuff falls to the ground....you have to actually go find a person or NPC to rez you....etc.

Both of these are much harsher options than experienced in any other game that I've personally played.

11. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

As stated in the origional post, an option for single player. An option for those who wish in single player, not mandatory.

*I don't support harsh death penalties in normal play because a series of unfortunate incidents or being a little stubborn can have game breaking results. Like in EQ, where you could loose levels, and as a result not be able to wear half the gear you started in, or a few I've played where repair bills could break you to the point you can't afford to go on. Perma-Death is a ehole different mode and game style from that.

12. stile

stile Avatar

not voting as i do a lot of my forum stuff ion tapatqalk. the only polls i make it a point and go back to vote on or official ones.

that said.. i think even discussion it as on option is kinda sad. Its an option in all games. You die you make a new character.

I know this is aimed at solo play but would add that if perma death was announced for online... I have an account to sell. Only thing i can think of that makes it a desl breaker for me.

I want the journey, the growth. Have to start over is just repetitive grind .

Its ok on an arcade game.. Hey i played demon souls! But it does not belong in an RPG. IMO.

TigerKhan likes this.
  13. Kallendal

Kallendal Avatar

Sorry BillRoy, I was looking at if from a MMO point of view.
    However for single player, wouldn't you just end up reloading the game from your last save?
    Otherwise, upon death, restart the game....

I played Wizardry (SOE MMO, based off the original stand alone).
    It has perma death, and honestly I feel they did a GREAT Job implementing it. However, your time sink investment is much different.

hack and slash = hack and slash = more hack n slash = shucks I died, restart another character. Hack and slash = hack and slash ....

that is Vs.

Survive, earn ax, chop down tree, learn to make ax, build carpentry table to make more axes to seel, DEFEND carpentry table (and die many times doing this), hack n slash, hack n slash, build another carpentry table in safer area, ....

;)

BillRoy likes this.
  14. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

You would never have to play it, friend. It would never and in no way impact you, or anyone you play with, at all...ever.
    Would you still veto it, knowing that?

15. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

No prob, friend.
    I was going at it from the single player off-line mode. A lot of people I think aren't registering that as the plan goes there will be two totally seperate games or game modes in this one, and that they will be in no way connected. So what you do or how you play in one world will have nothing to do with the other.

*One thing I do think is that few people will spend equal ammounts of time and effort in bolth. If you've chosen single-player, then you've descided to isolate yourself from others and what they do wont concern you.
    If you pick the multi-player world your single player world will just collect dust and only serve as an insurance pollicy waiting for the day that Portilarium shutts down. So you might as well abuse it for recreation and your own personal amusement. Why let it go to waste?;)

16. stile

stile Avatar

Oh im not rely vetoing it. I never veto anything thats an option! Im all about options.

Im just saying that its really already an option.

In fact mot having it forced is even better, because you can take pride and have bragging rights to say "i make a new char when i die!!"

It would only ever be a deal breaker for me personally though if it was forced, in online play, with no option to turn it off :)

Beyond that *shrugs*. But man.. When its not built in and you choose to play that way, and don't cheat on the decision., id think that would be something that, that sort if player would be able to take the most pride in :)

I wouldn't do it for this type of game, not my thing. But i WOULD have some serious respect for those that did choose that path!

TigerKhan likes this.
  17. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

1. It's not an "option" if there is no game setting in the options, sure you can delete and re-roll but it's not the same. That is not a "game mode".
    2.That's like somone saying "Any time I craft a less than perfect item I throw it away".
    3.It would and could never be forced upon you.
    4.You ("you" in general, not you personaly) can decline to acknowlege it but it is simply stated and a far less complex idea than so many other things that are seriously discussed at great lengths by the major donors aka, 'The High Lords of Ultima' , who quickly and with a self granted authority dismiss and discredit any ideas not generated within thier peer group.

*As I wrote before...
    "Not in the spirit of the "meta-game", my friends. It has to be so that once you've set yourself on the course there can be no turning back, it's easy to say "just re-roll" but even the most determined will face a moment of weakness and faulter. Even the most disciplined will have the urge to break the rules when thier hero bites the dust. This is why a toggle has to be in place to ensure that one who chooses this path does not dis-honor themselves and thier fallen hero."

You have respect for somone who makes claims about things they may or may not do, but what about the implimentation of a system that fascilitates the actual doing of those deeds? Where those who have the resolve can ply thier trade?
    Afterall, it's alright to have systems for crafting, merchanting, RP and PvP, and though I don't do those things and have little intrest in them, I myself have never once said "no" to the implimentation of them or "no" to anything that would inhibit or diminish anothers enjoyment of this or any other game.

This was in reply to you Sir Stile, but not meant personaly, just as something to think about, and for others to think on.:)

18. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

The main problem is the quantity of deaths. Despite their extreme evolution, games are still "games" and still maintain many elements from their arcade roots. I don't particulalry want to create several thousand names and personalities for characters because they die. And they will most likely die.

TigerKhan likes this.
  19. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I still say: Nay...

Why waste the coding time/space for something a player will most likely use only once? Once they feel the "hurt" of starting all over again they will never use that option again, ever. If your a Masochist then fine, just delete your chr each time you die to sooth your ego, but don't force it on me. And BTW I want all your stuff, please. The more I think about it, the more I think it's not worth the coding time/space, sorry.

2.That's like somone saying "Any time I craft a less than perfect item I throw it away".---- Hey, I did this all the time in UO, either recycling or selling to an NPC, both routes gave me little for my efforts, but I wasn't about to throw them it in the trash.

TigerKhan likes this.
  20. Laben

Laben Avatar

No Permadeath for me please, and I don't see why anyone would consider it as an option if it didn't effect everyone in the game around you. Why handicap yourself? In single player I guess it wouldn't matter as long as it was a choice.

Sir Stile Teckel and BillRoy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.