Blood and Gore

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by licemeat, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I would like to see more blood and guts rather that not much at all. I remember in UO that you used to be able to cut people's heads off and get little head trophies. That was pretty gruesome but it was one of those things that made you know you were in a different kind of game. I also used to play a text based, I THINK Gemstone 3, back in the day and I believe in battle that you could lose limbs and even bleed to death. That would be a cool feature, I think, to lose your good sword arm in a fight against another swordsman. Maybe you'd have to limp to the hospital on a bloody stump. Little or no blood is PG-13 material. Mortal Kombat for SNES had no blood and people were furious. It was really dumb to see grey sweat. I don't really want to see gratuitous guts and brains all the time but I would like to see more realistic gore rather than a little spray of disappearing blood when I get smashed against the face with a mace. What do you guys think? Pails of blood or does blood makes you pale?

ChavaiotH, Aradove and BillRoy like this.
  2. Robby

Robby Avatar

I want to be able to slice off limbs!! That would be neat. Instead of swinging a weapon till the enemie's HP is down to nothing, I could defeat them like on monty python and the holy grail "Tis but a scratch!" they might say. =) It'd be an interesting feature to be able to cripple your enemies that way during battle. Doesnt neccessarily need to be entrails and stuff flying out when you swing your sword at someone. Maybe after the battle and you defeat someone you could click on your knife/scissors and click on the body and get their head, heart, entrails, ear, or eye.
    The dismemberment feature during battle seems to be the most interesting idea to me. Maybe you could even eat the body parts/organs of the enemies you slay if you want to be a vicious cannibal.
    Im starting to think of a really gory anime OVA that contained lots of gore, violence, and even a bit of cannibalism. Was called MD geist. Crazy flick!

Aradove likes this.
  3. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I don't pale at pails of blood, but I'm also not convinced it ADDS anything. The days of red splatter effects for shock value have come and gone and I hope the team doesn't add it "just because".

If it fits the story and the thematic tone of the world, then bring it on!

Père Fouettard likes this.
  4. Robby

Robby Avatar

It could definitely fit the tone and story if done properly. Diablo 1 wasnt all that bad. But the butcher on level two was pretty gory and it fit the game pretty well!

Lebowski likes this.
  5. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Cutting of limbs - yes
    Blood everywhere - no

6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I don't mind having the ability to see blood all over the screen any more than the ability to see numbers all over the screen. As long as it's defaulted to off and no one spends much time on it.

Aradove likes this.
  7. Pandemonium

Pandemonium Avatar

It would be nice to see both blood and gore but considering what it does to their rating system I wouldn't be overly disappointed if they had to disclude it. The silly rating scale can make it much harder to sell the game.

8. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

If kids get harmed in the game I think the game is going to be mature anyways.
    But at the least let us turn off blood and gore. I've never liked that.

9. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Anytime you are using cutting/chopping type swords and axes there will be a maximum amount of blood,
    Unless swords are limited to rapier or estoc type swords which were mainly thrusting weapons along with spears and pikes, and also clubs and mace type weapons, reducing blood would be very immersion breaking for fighter/warrior types.

Alot of games do have a "More Blood" toggle in the options, I would support the implimentation of a more blood option.

licemeat likes this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Gratuitous blood and gore bring nothing to game play. It's unnecessary and provided no benefit. If there are parts of the story where it's appropriate that's one thing but otherwise I'd rather they not bother. They can be spending their energy on features on somethign that'll actually improve the game.

11. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Good ol' immersion! Okay, let's roll with that thought. You slay something, viciously, with an axe! Congrats, you're covered in blood. Your clothes, your pack, your cloak, your leather armor, everything. What are the consequences? Well it should be that it will decay/rot faster now until cleaned. Oh, and wild animals/creatures of all types are attracted to you, until you clean it. Etc. etc.

I've already stated I'm not against it, it just should have a REASON to be there, and I don't think "immersion" is enough of one by itself.

Rampage202 and licemeat like this.
  12. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Maybe not for you, but that's a personal preferance.

Maybe it would improve it for some, and really it doesn't take that much "energy" to add a little extra red.;)

licemeat likes this.
  13. Turguin

Turguin Avatar

Blood/gore should be an option you can toggle. Those that want it can get it, those that don't can turn it off.

In some areas, blood and gore are important to impact the mood of the game... to give you the feeling of dread/excitement/danger. Those you should not be able to turn off.

I like what some other games do, where you can get skills or items that turn on extra gore - people who like that kind of stuff will value them & seek them out, and others just won't care, which is fine.

BillRoy likes this.
  14. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Ok, we're rolling. First off I'm a fighter/warrior, brother. Let the beasts come, that's what I consider "free exp", and I'll just take a dunk in a horse trough or the fountain in the town square when I get back. You do have to maintain your gear weather it's a game mechanic or just assumed.

I know you aren't against it, this is just conversation, for fun.:)

Rampage202 and Phredicon like this.
  15. Robby

Robby Avatar

Man if i can attract monsters for EXP with blood ill slowly carve a baby calf's neck with a broadsword and bath myself in its blood to attract the most ferocious beasts out in the wild. Ill mark an X in cow blood on my platemail tunic. Ill glue bull horns to my helmet also. >=-P heh heh heh......

Aradove and BillRoy like this.
  16. vjek

vjek Avatar

Germany doesn't permit it in any of their games, as far as I know. No blood. At all. Ever.

Aradove likes this.
  17. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

That is unfortunate. There'll have to be regional restrictions on some things in some places.:(

18. Turguin

Turguin Avatar

The way games get around the German requirement is to bleed a different color. If it's not red, it's not blood. Simple, stupid, but true. So many games just bleed green.

BillRoy likes this.
  19. Escanaba

Escanaba Avatar

I like some but most of the time blood is so over done. Don't need this to be a GTA

Rikster likes this.
  20. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

That really depends on your play-style.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.