Blood and Gore

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by licemeat, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

It would be like adjusting the bloom or shadows and water effect, where you were the only one to see it.

licemeat likes this.
  2. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I agree with all of this.

Also somone can emote thier actions without actually doing it, as in many other games. I say blood for fun, but body parts are going to be used for griefing often enough to make it no fun for some.
    **body parts used for decoration I think is ok if that's what somone is into but leave it as a placable item in the house, not something you can drop and pick up anywhere you want like in UO.

rild likes this.
  3. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I'm all for a little bloody realism. But I find excessive gore looks comical more than anything else.

BillRoy, rild and Wsye like this.
  4. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

I would like there to be realism to a point. I want to be able to skin someone's face off and spin it in the air like pizza dough. I would also like to cut their legs off, tie ropes around the thighs and use them as stilts to walk around town as I waved at people. I would like to build a coffee table out of their ribcage and jump rope with their guts. I mean come on....is that too much to ask for?

5. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Seriously though, I think I would like to see a bit more blood than the typical blood spray when I get chopped with an ax. I would like to see flesh burned away when a mage smashes a fireball into my chest. This doesn't need to be over the top or anything...just somewhat reflect what is happening. A gore slider sounds like the solution to this non existant problem so far. If the characters had a flesh layer that mimiced blood and skin wrapped around the model to display this I don't think it would be such a big deal to show damage.

AuroraWR and BillRoy like this.
  6. Donferth

Donferth Avatar

Hmmmm.. Khorne would be pleased with this thread. So I say what the heck.

[​IMG]

BillRoy likes this.
  7. Robby

Robby Avatar

Your a twisted fellow just like me! >=-) *evil smile*
    But yea. If too many people are offended by having their corpses gutted and having their heads mounted up on the wall theres no reason why they shouldnt be able to opt out of this sort of thing as well. In SOTA we should try not to force people to play in any kind of game they dont want to play. You and I though will be carving each other's corpses and maybe even tying them to the back of a horse and dragging them along the ground to really rub it in when we have defeated each other! While I would like this feature, more than likely it will be something done to me more often than I would do to others. In UO though I always liked to just scavenge! If I saw a dead body laying there that I didnt slay I would always be like "WHAT WERE THESE PEOPLE THINKING THEY DIDNT DISMEMBER THE DAMN BODY!" And I would go right ahead, carve it and scatter the parts everywhere! Loot away if I could then maybe hide nearby and watch the owner come by in a death robe then pop out with an evil smile! Im not going to regret these actions, if this feature bothered you enough your free to play another MMO. Im not interested in doing this kind of thing if a player is really going to take it so hard. But play on my terms you better be able to handle it! And besides im open to the same treatment, ill get my corpse/grave defiled as well at some point. Im not going to force anyone to play this way but if possible lets allow us all to mess around with the world of SOTA the way we each as individuals please! There should be a little niche for all of us... well hopefully anyway. Looks like we need a slider for PvP, full loot, and now for corpse/grave defilement as well now! Wonder if theres a limit to the number of "sliders" we are going to be able to place into this game so that no one is put into a style of play they really cant tolerate.

I just remember starting UO in the year 2000, you could carve a corpse in fellucca! Then after a certain amount of time, fellucca was pretty much as safe as trammel with item insurance and all that. Then eventually you couldnt even do something as simple as carving a corpse in felucca! And in trammel, after so much time your corpse would decay and become lootable. People got mad about being looted in trammel and so eventually they made it so that if someone decided to leave their corpse behind too long all the items would just go to waste rather than have some other player get it. So my scavenging days were over!! =O
    Before you all start telling me im some kind of horrible guy in real life, you got to remember, when I did these things we were all playing the same game. I wasnt doing anything any other player couldnt do to me. So hey if the content is in the game im going to go right ahead and enjoy that content. People throw the "your getting enjoyment off another player's expense" line at me when I talk about these things. But as ive said its content that was in the game and if it was that bad of an experience for you, there are other games. Why couldnt you just return the favor and do the same to me! >=-P I always just laughed when I saw my corpse dismembered, then see the peices all fly around cuz there moving them around while using the hiding skill. All fun 'n games for me!
    Eventually they edited this all out of UO, which I was not happy about, but I still played the game because treasure map quests and all that were fun to do. It was also fun to raise my blacksmithy and sell my goods, work my way up to buying that larger house. I can enjoy care bear land too! But it gets boring after some time then I got to play a game more like mortal kombat or something. If the coprse carving was THAT important to me I could leave as well, but I didnt. I actually left because of all the samurai's and ninjas and all the other funky garbage invaded the world of UO and then the whole new complicated magic weapon system, and the crummy 3d graphics. UO was officially dead by then, it just wasnt the game I originally went into the store and payed for to enjoy.
    Anyway, lets just make sure that we make a game with content we can all enjoy without it having to be at other's expense.
    (btw sorry about the font going screwy, dunno what happened there, just went all weird for a second).

licemeat likes this.
  8. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

@Robby~Scavaging was also my favorite hobby...banks, corpses, my guild would do "house sitting" where we'd constantly be on the lookout for closing/abandoned houses and as they decayed we'd loot what ever we could get as the walls crumbled/decayed, and meet at whoevers house was closest or an out of the way location and split up the loot, some times having to make multiple trips with pack beetles and mules at the ready. There was another guild we'd compeat with in House Sitting, taunting and joking with them, trying to keep guards up and patrolling our sites, staking out potential homes.Those were some awesome days.

I also was not happy when ninjas and samauri infested UO.

licemeat likes this.
  9. stile

stile Avatar

Give me limbs, give me blood as appropriate, then give me an option to turn it on or off. Everyone wins.

licemeat and BillRoy like this.
  10. stile

stile Avatar

Give me limbs, give me blood as appropriate, then give me an option to turn it on or off. Everyone wins.

AuroraWR likes this.
  11. Robby

Robby Avatar

Yea. Even though im all about blood and gore, depending on my mood even I might want to shut it off at times.

12. Robby

Robby Avatar

I didnt like those beetles either! They werent as bad as the samurai or the ninja though. Samurai's and ninjas are actually pretty cool, but not in the world of SOTA or UO.

13. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

My preferences are:

Cutting off limbs - yes
    Using limbs as weapons - yes
    Killing NPC kids in the game - yes
    Slaughtering NPC tribes of people including women and children - yes
    Burning NPC villages to the ground - yes
    Forcing NPC's into slavery - yes
    Drugs - yes
    Disease - yes
    Executions - yes
    Religion - yes

Torture - no
    Nudity and Sexual Content - no
    Gore - no

BillRoy likes this.
  14. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Wrong! pack beetles = cool, maybe you just never got to know one. Storage and riding, they were awesome.:D
    Right! Samauri and ninja = not cool. But if you like them outside of SoTA/UO, then that's up to you and I support your descision.;)

15. Robby

Robby Avatar

Why not just a ridable pack mule?

BillRoy likes this.
  16. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

What?? You say yes to child killing...twice, but no to nudity and "sentual" content?
    You, my friend, are a sick-o. ;)

**Once the Free2Players show up, there will be plenty of public ERPing going on, and nekids running around bare-assed in the streets. So set your slider thing to RP and enjoy the show. I hope everyone is ready for that action.:D

17. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Because it's not as cool.

18. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I don't think anyone's been able to provide a compelling argument for blood and gore yet. I still agree with Bowen that there's so little benefit in it, it should be a way low priority. I still have faith in humanity that even if it were incorporated, most would turn it off. Perhaps naive, yes, but I still have faith.

And I'm going to live in a town that bans human decorations. :D

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That brings up an interesting point.. How would NPCs (the normal citizens and guards in a civilized town) respond to someone using human remains as decor in any shape or form?

20. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

You mean an argument that compells you?
    Because, my friend, people have stated solid reasons why they themselves might like something like this.
    You, through personal taste or preferance may never change your mind, but that doesn't mean thier points aren't equaly as valid as your own.

I like more red, you don't. I value your oppinion and think it would be nice if we could have a toggle to say more or less depending on how we want it. It would affect only what you and I see on our own screens, if we adventured together I'd see both of us covered in red amd the ground splattered, but you would not. We would both be satisfied.

Mechanicaly this is a simple thing and to say it's beyond the ability of the designers is to discredit them and thier abilitys. If they aren't competant, then this game is destined to be of poor quality, and a little red will be the least of our worries or the games problems.

licemeat and Wsye like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.