Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Subterfuge - Pick Pockets feedback

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Crazy Phil, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

PvP only still? There's gotta be a way to make this a universal skill. I can see how you wouldn't want this as a item generator for the sake of the economy...

For the time being, until there is a better solution, why not allow the skill to trigger on NPCs for skill-ups, but return nothing for loot? In addition, perhaps make it flag you for PvP as part of the penalty for failure on an NPC, allowing players to dish out some justice until the guards become trained to do so? ;)

For the future, if you're pulling loot from a pool of player-made/sold items, just pull from that for Pick Pocket. Lowest tier in quality of course. It'd be silly if folks were pulling high quality items from random townsfolk.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Chatele, Balandar, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

UO did it better IMHO. Overall I feel that in Ultima games things made more sense and felt "natural" on how you used them.

e.g.: Just loot from the npcs loot table and make it flag you as criminal. But stealth needs to work properly first. I would also see this skill more used in combat.... But better than nothing. Stealing from Mobs would also be nice, just like UO had it.

Chatele, Time Lord and SeleneNoctua like this.
  3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Does stealth not work properly?

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Still feels clunky, you have no indication if you get noticed etc...

Chatele and Time Lord like this.
  5. Gix

Gix Avatar

Yeah, that was my first reaction too.

So now, if I want to be a sneaky thief, I got to grief other players to do it.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Brielle McFerson

Brielle McFerson Avatar

So is this skill no longer PVP only? while crafting I caught someone who said they were using this skill. They were in stealth. If they are going to hang around the crafting stations I most likely won't be playing this game long. If this is the case there should be a way for us to protect ourselves.

7. Relentless

Relentless Avatar

Long Live the Thieves Guild!

BEWARE Avatars! No pocket is safe, no coin purse too heavy....

Time Lord and Fister Magee like this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There was nothing natural about UO thieves. You can watch them running around naked laughing at you and you could do nothing about it unless they were caught. It was the stupidest thing ever. They could steal huge items from your pack ... as if you wouldn't notice somebody taking a warhammer away from you. Oh yeah that's a real pick pocket. Bogus system.

It only worked for UO because that is a 20 year old game with 2D graphics.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

You could carry more than 10 Warhammers in UO which made it unrealistic already... so where is your point?
    The mechanics still were better and intuitive.

Relentless and Time Lord like this.
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

i thought inititally in UO you could use the forensic skill to catch a thief who had stolen before no matter how long ago it was. But i might be wrong. Either way, if this is the way stealiugn is intended to work, it needs to be possible for other peopl to "catch" a person stealing from soemoen other than themselves

Time Lord likes this.
  11. RoStudios

RoStudios Avatar

Unfortunately, because of this skill, most players I know are crafters, are moving out of multi player until it is fixed. I expect more from SoTA players; than other mmorpg players. But, humans never fail to disappoint.

12. Gix

Gix Avatar

What's that supposed to mean?

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Your fault to think that way. People are all the same :) And if something can be exploited they will do it. If guards would actually have a purpose in this game it might not be such a problem.

14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Forget about the fix! Bring back "vendor buy bank guard i wish to lock this down recdu recsu" and instant guard whack!

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I wonder if this will be 'fixed' soon, or are we stuck with the pickpocket bug for another 3 weeks?

;) I'll bet we are waiting the long wait! Buckle up kids! Daddy is goin to town!

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

17. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Pick pocketing in non-PVP mode? Its an interesting topic. Seemed ok to me on the surface, as its tricky to pick pocket in PVP. Then I started thinking of unintended consequences if usable in non-PVP. It is too easy for someone to just stand by you at a bank or anywhere and get in your pack. That causes one to be more nervous about anyone stand near them in non-PVP areas than perhaps is intended (It is counter-social in an otherwise social game). If pick pocketing goes in for non-PVP, that's fine. But snoopers caught need to be flagged for PVP (not their victim).

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Gix

Gix Avatar

As a fan of pickpocket and thievery in games, I'd argue that stealing from players is (by its very nature) a PvP action. So being able to do it in a non-PvP mode is a contradiction in itself and thus should not belong in games that make a distinction between PvP and non-PvP. That is... unless you're talking about stealing from NPCs...

19. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Actually thieves can steal right now without any risk.... aligns perfectly with the rest of the game design ;) boring.

Josh Randall and Time Lord like this.
  20. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

A reminder that we NEED to know about any exploits that may exist... I know it's pre-launch and we're having fun with some of the broken mechanics in the game, I get that, but please let us know what they all are still :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.