Ship Travel Poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cordelayne, Jun 22, 2016.

?

Should you have to enter an NPC town in order to access ship travel?

1. Yes

29.8%
  2. No

70.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I have vacillated on this quite a bit before finally coming to the conclusion that I do believe we should be required to enter NPC towns (i.e. Kingsport, Brittany, Ardoris, etc) in order to utilize the fast travel feature of ships.

The reason I feel this way is because it is more immersive and is a good way to drive foot traffic to vendors located within those towns. I know some may consider this a nuisance, especially in the bigger towns where things can get laggy, but it will also add more vibrancy. One of my favorite parts of the game is running into someone I haven't seen in awhile and chatting with them.

Any rate, I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts and opinions, just remember to keep it civil! :D

majoria70, Numa, Montaigne and 3 others like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

The biggest towns are a minor impediment to high-end systems, but forcing players who only barely meet the requirements to go through Brittany or ardoris is a significant burden.

Numa, Matt Harris, Vox Aquila and 6 others like this.
  3. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I think the poll says it all ... 80% for NO ..... boat travel should be where ever there is water .... IMHO whether inside a town or outside ....

Widsith [MGT], Numa, Engel and 4 others like this.
  4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Would folks really opt for supporting retired technologies over a more visually immersive experience? Eventually everything will get optimization passes. The min spec here is so minimum it's practically overkill to be using a computer designed for gaming as it is. I think the OP has a fun idea... still, I'm abstaining from the vote - but only because the transitions between scenes and map still seem cumbersome to me.

Time Lord and Cordelayne like this.
  5. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

If transitions were quick, then maybe. Don't see that happening, so no.

Vox Aquila, Womby, Budner and 2 others like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Everyone Want's Convenience, But~o_O
    It's about keeping sectors separate, and trade route flow. Without such flow, our world doesn't develop in a natural way. There's very few things that can be seen as real within our game and this is one I'd like to see supporting that.
    "Yet with that being said", I do also believe that players should be able to board and dock from their home lot docks, yet those docks are small, so other ships couldn't dock there as well. This meaning that if I set our from my home lot port, then I could sail and dock at one of our major ports, yet not to any other port other than their own.
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I voted no for the following reasons:
    • It wouldn't be more "immersive" for me. It would just be an added inconvenience if I have no business in the town. I don't like hearing the argument about "immersion" because as we have seen in a recent post on that topic, immersion means different things to different people. One man's pain-in-the-neck is another man's immersion.
    • Those towns will have a lot of foot traffic regardless. There are quests there and people interested in buying stuff will go there to shop around.
    • There are very few players able to afford a vendor spot along the main drag of a major town. Something inside me urges me to spend my gold elsewhere instead of subsidizing the same people all the time. I would prefer to seek out a vendor in an out-of-the-way corner of the town or in a PRT or POT that doesn't get as much traffic.

Engel, Vox Aquila, Dantuin and 15 others like this.
  8. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Well it has been stated several times the double clicking a boat to move is placeholder. Eventually we will have to talk to an npc and pay their fee in order to use boats to sail around. When that happens it will probably be in the NPC towns themselves rather than a world map except for perhaps the random roaming encounter on the overland. One of the main reasons right now that were currently allowed to is that they have not finished the necessary optimizations on the npc towns.

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

But the Immersion ;-P!!!!

------
    I want a not instanced world. If we get that the question gets invalid.

Cordelayne and Time Lord like this.
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Should There Be a Difference Between a Blimp and a Ship~o_O?'
    [​IMG]

helomech and Cordelayne like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, you should have to enter a town in most circumstances. I think Kingsport and Brittany are great examples of where players should have to enter a town before going to Brittany or the Hidden Vale.

But a lone Island POT should not require that type of travel imo. I know this sounds like I have an agenda because I have a lone Island POT, but unlike Brittany and the Hidden Vale, POTs don't open up more paths to resources.

GreyMouser2, Time Lord and Cordelayne like this.
  12. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I think that's a fair point. Personally, I find gathering to be the most tedious aspect of the game. It dissuades me from wanting to craft, but to others it could be the most immersive thing ever. Point taken.

13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:rolleyes:~Island POTs Have Large Docks~:oops:
    This is where I agree with the Baron Drocis, but those are different than any single player's dock, which seems to be a single ship's accommodations. Possibly "Ocean" shoreline POTs would qualify as well?
    ~Time Lord~;)

Cordelayne likes this.
  14. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

LOL...:p

[​IMG]

Ice Queen, Jarl Atogrim and Time Lord like this.
  15. smack

smack Avatar

I think you should enter a town, or rather, a scene of some sort, to use the boat or other travel option. As a compromise, perhaps if you double clicked on the boat, it would place you in the scene right at the docks.

Many of us, including POT owners, have also asked for ways to offer choices on which entry point in the town we can use from the overland map. This would serve that purpose and wouldn't be overly punitive to those that don't want to enter a scene.

Cordelayne and Time Lord like this.
  16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Travel between Etceter and Aerie is also a good example. Etceter is supposed to be a port city, but people are going to pass by and never go through the port. People want more players showing up in NPC towns, rather than the towns being empty? This is one way to do it.

Its really not about an empty concept of 'immersion', but how the world is set up. We want to make towns meaningful, we want to drive player traffic into towns so they're full, especially in those port cities.

17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Boat Home Teleported "In an Instant"~o_O?'
    [​IMG]
    Boat travel should take a while shouldn't it?
    If I can just click on my "boat home" and end up instantly at my destination... seems a bit like a personal instant tellepoter to me...
    "It's allot of cargo!"

18. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, I agree completely with this.

Etceter and Aerie is a unique situation that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It think it's bad for the game because people will skip the content in favor of convenience, and that's not how this should be working if we want trade to be regional and we want player housing to be meaningful.

19. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Agree with the spirit of the OP, but more so with Kara Brae's post. If I simply want to travel from Novia to the Hidden Vale, for example, I really don't want to have to wander through Brittany (beautiful though it is) every time. It will become repetitive, boring and frustrating after awhile. Wouldn't mind a small fee (100?) as a gold sink though.

Tiki Pirate, Ice Queen, Mata and 7 others like this.
  20. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Players don't like loading screens. Don't add unnecessary steps that only create more loading screens.

It might be worth exploring adding a gold sink where you can travel from any port to another by paying a fee.

Vox Aquila, gtesser, Womby and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.