1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 31 Instructions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Did you play Ultima Underworld? It had a very dense atmosphere. And I am not expecting a linear experience from the game but if some linear parts add to the atmosphere like a monster waiting behind a door, battering it and screaming then I am all for it.
    And I am sure - if Origin would have had the means to add such things to Ultima back then, they would have done it.

Having some linear elements to dungeons or quests helps tell an exciting story and create a dense atmosphere but this does not mean that the whole game has to be a linear experience.

Alexander likes this.
  2. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

That's the point. Because this also applies to Portalarium. The budget they currently have is far from comfortable for a RPG/ TPS/ open word online. And in case you did not noticed that, much of the funding comes from the attractiveness of multiplayer housing. So developpers are walking on eggs because they seek for funds (to make a better game) and they try to keep the solo on track. They have much merit because many don't seem to realize the difficulty of doing both. This does not mean that it's impossible to have a good solo game with mmo open world. The problem, IMO, is money (or paying development time if you prefer).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I think that this is indeed a big problem for this game. Managing both aspects without alienating one group. It is a balancing act. I really don't know if it will be possible to make SotA a good SP game and a good MMO. Right now everything points in the direction of SotA becoming a good MMO. This seems to be the direction the devs are currently developing in. But as I said many times before I don't think that a good SP RPG can stand on the foundation of a MMORPG because then it would play and feel like a offline MMORPG.
    Adding a chat, other players, floating names, bars, numbers, windows, constantly respawning enemies in front of you and other MMO features to Ultima 7 or Ultima Underworld would have destroyed those games.
    A good SP game needs many elements and features that are fundamentally different from a MMO. Right now I cannot see how those elements and features could possibly find their way into SotA without alienating the MMO fans. And this is frustrating and disappointing because I had such high hopes during the Kickstarter campaign that SotA would (also) be a really great SP RPG.

Yes the devs have said multiple times that the game will also get a good SP mode but every month I see that game is pushed further and further away from this.
    It's like putting a bowl of fruit in front of a child but it cannot reach it. You say: "I will give it to you" but instead you push the bowl away further and further...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    Fister Magee likes this.
  4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I think the devs are doing a great job addressing concerns of players, many of which are bugs. It is hard not to panic if some serious error occurs, but I wish people would not automatically assume malicious intent on the part of the devs and instead give them some credit for doing the best they can to do the right thing and fix errors. One case in point is the obvious bug of purchased items being susceptible to maximum durability loss, which is being fixed in R31. Another example was the Pickpocketing bug that became known at the beginning of R30. The bug became known on a Sunday, and on Tuesday it was fixed. I don't think it is even possible for the devs to react more quickly than that, but there were some really nasty comments (in my opinion) aimed at the devs nevertheless.

5. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

@DarkStarr

Is there a process of crafting that puts the symbols on the signs?

Also, why are only two versions of signs with symbols available in the add-on store and not the rest?

I didn't see any explanation in the instructions, so since this is new (and I am grateful for it I want to add!), I could use some clarity.

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

This game continues to march forward with VERY positive additions (that impact single player as much as any mode of play) each month. I'm amazed at the work that is being done by the development team despite the MANY delayed features that I personally care about more than single player anything. For example, multiplayer combat balance and multiplayer economy balance have also been pushed.

Instead of complaining about that, I have chosen to recognize the incredible work that has been done and to appreciate the effort for what it is, hard work and passion for doing the right thing. I wonder, Lord Darkmoon, would you be interested in selling me your account? You don't appear to get any happiness out of it and perhaps I could help you have a better day by taking the account off of your hands.

randomonium and kbruder like this.
  7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Nope, I will fight until the end with my account! ;)

8. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Other items in the instructions are not yet in the Add-On Store, like the new Fireworks, so I assume its a process that has not yet finished. Most likely, they will all be in place before tomorrow's Update gets posted.

That said, I don't care for how these are being packaged. Previous groups of items were a similar theme (Ornate Wooden Lampposts vs Ornate Metal Lampposts). I'd much prefer to get a group of signs of the same style, than a single sign in multiple styles.

For example, the current Armor & Weapon 9-Pack has:
    • Fancy Wooden Wall Armor & Weapon Sign
    • Brass Wall Armor & Weapon Sign
    • Silver Wall Armor & Weapon Sign
    • Fancy Wooden Hanging Armor & Weapon Sign
    • Brass Hanging Armor & Weapon Sign
    • Silver Hanging Armor & Weapon Sign
    • Fancy Wooden Ground Armor & Weapon Sign
    • Brass Ground Armor & Weapon Sign
    • Silver Ground Armor & Weapon Sign
    I'd much prefer something like an Fancy Wooden Armor & Weapon 9-Pack:
    • Fancy Wooden Wall Armor & Weapon Sign
    • Fancy Wooden Wall Armor Sign
    • Fancy Wooden Wall Weapon Sign
    • Fancy Wooden Hanging Armor & Weapon Sign
    • Fancy Wooden Hanging Armor Sign
    • Fancy Wooden Hanging Weapon Sign
    • Fancy Wooden Ground Armor & Weapon Sign
    • Fancy Wooden Ground Armor Sign
    • Fancy Wooden Ground Weapon Sign
    Three different signs in three different styles, but with a common style (and theme).

Alley Oop likes this.
  9. Womby

Womby Avatar

That's the spirit! (Of course, a little diplomacy goes a long way. You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.)

devourerofmemes and Acred like this.
  10. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

As you should! Lord Darkmoon thank you for being a champion for Offline mode. We will do our very best to live up to your incredibly high expectations. Don't let these other folks talk you down from your impassioned diatribes.

We plan to revisit the Offline combat balance and economic balance in Q3 (https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/q3-2016-schedule-update.53494/).

11. DarkStarr

There will be recipes for each symbol that will create that symbol on the three sign types (ground, wall, and hanging).

The other symbols just haven't been added to the store yet.

12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Thanks. It is good to hear that my words are not spoken into the wind. I am still really hoping for a great offline mode.

13. DarkStarr

We actually debated this endlessly internally but the current way was the least amount of data entry.

14. DarkStarr

POTs that are nested are not listed on the map.

15. Womby

Womby Avatar

That will vary with different people. For example as a future bookstore owner I prefer the way those signs are currently bundled.

16. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

It seems like this could have been done with the store versions as well, just sell the blank sign and then combine the symbol with it to make which one you want. Less work for you guys.

Also, will these symbols be used like the Hospitaller symbol to emblazon books at some point? It will be great to have options for the covers.

17. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Props where props are due. Nice release.

18. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Will the "New You" shop allow you to change Gender? Because according to the instructions, the Gender selection is removed from the tabbed interface the Magic Mirror gives, and you are asked gender in the character creation - before seeing the Magic Mirror....

19. DarkStarr

Right now gender change is not supported but we may do so in the future. We are also considering adding a gender neutral option.

20. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

Excellent. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.