1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Q3 2016 Schedule Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Greetings Avatars,

As we have stated previously, our goal is to once-per-quarter post an updated schedule for our monthly releases. Even though these goals will likely change somewhat as we react to feedback, we feel it is important to provide you an updated roadmap periodically.

Our goal continues to be to deliver our backers content each and every month so that we can get feedback and use it to iterate improvements. This continues to benefit the game, with sweeping changes, like the switch over to use-based advancement. Meeting that monthly goal is our highest priority, but we require flexibility in our deliverables in order to meet that goal. As you have seen in previous releases, sometimes we push things out, but we also often pull new things in.

The third quarter of 2016 starts with the Final Wipe and Lot Selection and then moves on to steadily progressing through the list of features and content promised during our Kickstarter.

As always, all dates, durations, and deliverables are subject to change as we adjust our designs based on direct feedback from you, our backers.

RELEASE 32, July 28, 2016
    • Final Wipe: Please note that if you have been waiting to convert your purchases to store credits, these will be your FINAL three chances to do so as long as you do NOT claim your rewards at the bank. There will be three windows the week of release to convert your purchases to store credit. These windows will be on Monday, Wednesday, and then finally on the day of release, Thursday. This will work exactly as it has in previous releases.
    • Lot Selection: Starting at 11:00 CDT players can begin selecting lots in the game in order of their lot selection group. You can view your lot selection group on your account page.
    • Story: The Love Path will get a major polish pass with a special focus on NPC behaviors in Soltown and Ardoris. Greater Brittany will be finished with the addition of the final neighborhood of Brittany Estates, a plush area composed mostly of City sized lots. Additionally several NPC towns, including Spite, that are currently clones will be replaced with original scenes.
    • New User Experience Polish: Continued polish passes will be done on the Tutorials, hints, and starting scenes with special focus on the Isle of Storms and Bloodriver.
    • Service Hardening: We will continue a series of passes through the client, authentication, and server to harden the service for security and customer service. Special attention will be paid to the Patcher.
    • Player Towns & Player Housing: Player-Owned Towns that have locked submission forms will appear in the game. New variations on the town templates may also appear.
    • Performance: Major efforts will be done to optimize performance. This will include frame rate improvements, load time improvements, and memory footprint improvements.
    • Multiplayer Economic Balance: A pass will be made through creature loot bundles, merchant pricing, property taxes, public vendor fees, harvesting rates, agriculture growth, crafting recipe ingredient amounts, and other factors to begin establishing an equilibrium for the multiplayer economy
    • Multiplayer Combat Balance: A pass will be made through combat skills, creature stats, player stats, advancement rates, zone difficulties, and other values to establish an equilibrium for multiplayer combat.
    • Crafting: More enchantments and more masterwork modifiers will come online. Most decorations will be removed from NPC merchants and moved to recipes for crafters. Additionally several homes will be craftable for the first time.
    • Character: A polish pass will be completed through all the hair styles.
    RELEASE 33, August 25, 2016
    • Story: The polish pass through the Love Path of the story will continue with special focus on NPC behaviors in the town of Spite. Brittany NPCs will also get a behavior improvement pass. Additionally several NPC towns that are currently clones will be replaced with original scenes.
    • New User Experience Polish: Continued polish passes will be done on the Tutorials, hints, and starting scenes with special focus on Highvale.
    • Player Towns & Player Housing: Player-Owned Towns that have locked submission forms will appear in the game. New variations on the town templates may also appear. Additionally the Lot Deed Lottery system for in game purchase of Lot Deeds will come online.
    • Offline Mode Combat Balance: A pass will be made through the game to adjust combat balance for play in offline mode with companions.
    • Offline Mode: Patching and Reward delivery for Offline Mode become available to players using this mode to play.
    • Crafting: Cooking and the Food System will expand with more recipes and more functionality including more food buffs.
    • Creatures: We will begin a major polish pass through our creatures.
    RELEASE 34, September 29, 2016
    • Story: A final polish pass will be completed through the Love Path of the story and we will begin a polish pass on the Courage Path. Aerie and Resolute NPCs will also get a behavior improvement pass. Additionally several NPC towns that are currently clones will be replaced with original scenes.
    • Player Towns & Player Housing: Player-Owned Towns that have locked submission forms will appear in the game. New variations on the town templates may also appear.
    • Offline Economy: The economy in offline mode will be tuned to be better balanced for single player. NPC merchants will buy player crafted items at a profit to the player for instance. Additionally pledge and add-on store items will be available from NPC merchants for purchase with in-game gold.
    • Crafting: Recipes will become teachable (much like emotes). Agriculture will get a polish pass and some new content.
    • Creatures: We will continue a major polish pass through our creatures.
    • Roving Encounters: Potential encounters (wandering merchants, monsters, etc.) will appear on the overworld for players to engage (or avoid).
    We continue to be incredibly thankful for the support we receive from this amazing community. While the funding you provide makes all of this possible, it pales in comparison with the faith you have in us, the feedback you provide us, and the content you are making for everyone to enjoy. We are humbly grateful, and we cannot wait to see you again in New Britannia!

Before I go, I wanted to include an excerpt from my original post about our Early Release Schedule that is important to set the framework for our ongoing schedule:

As a crowd funded and crowd sourced project, we feel it is incredibly important that we provide our backers with information and access well before game studios would normally do so in a traditional development model. Traditionally, the players are given information and access only after the development team has already decided exactly how things will be done, and at times, even after it has already been implemented. By the time the public normally has access to the product, there is usually no time to meaningfully react to the public feedback.

Shroud of the Avatar is different than the traditional model, as we intend to offer our backers extremely early access to information and even the game itself. With that said, we also want to be very careful that we only provide access to portions of the game when they are ready for a wider range of feedback. If we can play it internally and we know it is not ready, then there is nothing to be gained by having a wider audience come to the same conclusion. In fact, it could be quite damaging to do so.

Our strategy over the next few months is to provide you with focused and iterative releases of content. Your feedback during these releases will be critical to making the final product the best it can be, and we appreciate that you are all so willing to devote your time to helping us. With each release, we will have specific tests we will ask you all to make. As we get closer, we will send instructions on how to download, install, report bugs, etc. After each release we will review the results and reevaluate the plan including the duration of availability of each release. Please note that game data will be wiped periodically during early access.

It is important to note that all dates, durations, and deliverables are subject to change.

Sincerely,
    Starr Long
    Executive Producer
    Shroud of the Avatar

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

This will be well received.

I'd love to have a proper beard.

3. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I think I know the answer to this, but when you say "Multiplayer Economic Balance" does it include things like adjust loot so that say low level skeletons and high level skeletons don't drop basically the same loot? I mean its almost silly not to farm the hell out of green things because what we're getting between low, mid and high level mobs doesn't justify the difficulty.

I would also love to see humanoid mobs start to carry pouches and boxes of items or perhaps chests that you need lock smith ability to open and avoid a trap. Something to shake up the doldrums of kill after kill and feel you got a really lucky drop.

Will we start to see things like rusty bronze swords or rusty white iron swords drop eventually from higher level things? I know the idea is to break it all down for crafting and not drop final production items but some advanced salvageable loot would be awesome as well!

Thanks for listening, and Great Job!

Dogfish, Renae, daithipax and 4 others like this.
  4. DarkStarr

Yes that is the idea

5. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

6. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Will the multiplayer combat balance include combat pets?

7. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Sorry double post by phone.

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Good stuff down the road.
    Looking forward to it.

Melissa likes this.
  9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Is (optional) two-factor authentication being considered? I don't mind if its a smartphone app or a key that I can purchase in the Add-On Store. I know its not a perfect solution, but it is a better option than simple password protection.

When will Agriculture start using the recipe system? It is onerous to use currently.

10. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I vote for Google Authenticator, since I've already got it.

Archer, randomonium, Xhathis and 2 others like this.
  11. Godra

Godra Avatar

I am all for the push ahead to Final Wipe. Things are coming together!!! Well done.

DancingShade and Chatele like this.
  12. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Yes they should go with the open standard that can be used with the Google Authenticator or in my case Authy.

Lord-Galiwyn, Archer and randomonium like this.
  13. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

@DarkStarr or @Chris

With the Deed Lottery System Scheduled for R33:

• Player Towns & Player Housing: Player-Owned Towns that have locked submission forms will appear in the game. New variations on the town templates may also appear. Additionally the Lot Deed Lottery system for in game purchase of Lot Deeds will come online.

Can you please confirm that the Realtor NPC's in R32 (both PoT and NPC), at the end of this month, will not have deeds for sale for gold? Or do you plan to offer what it left (the 20-30% extra housing slated for in game sales) for gold in R32 and then start the Lottery in R33? I think its only fair that everyone has the correct understanding of what will, and will not be available for gold purchase after the full wipe and when they might be pulled off the vendors in favor of the lottery system.

Chris touched on it in the hangout, though nobody said specifically that for a month (R32) there will be no extra lots for sale in the game.

Thanks!

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  14. randomonium

randomonium Avatar

I'd love to see that. The last thing I need is yet another one-off app (like WoW...) for my 2-stage auth.

Link_of_Hyrule and Archer like this.
  15. DarkStarr

Correct. Lot deeds will no longer be available for direct purchase in-game.

16. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

There is a lot to look forward too in the coming patches..........

Cassandra Corax and Lord-Galiwyn like this.
  17. niteowl57

niteowl57 Avatar

I have a small request that may sound silly, but please include deco recipes for the two kinds of hanging sausage the Meat Vendors used to have (that has already been pulled from the game). I like hanging it by the cooking station. Oh, and hanging garlic too please, more fabric wall decorations that perhaps can also be dyed, more rugs, wooden plates, platters, bowls, and yard ornaments (wood, clay, granite)....I'll stop now before someone shoots me. Really, I'll be happy with the hanging sausage deco recipe.

18. redfish

redfish Avatar

Also hanging fish, hanging garlic, and everything else NPC merchants have on display would be nice. Alchemy merchants also used to have some deco junk on them that were removed at some point and nowhere to be found.

Also: Low-hanging fruit.

19. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

@DarkStarr at what time will we be able to start the application update? It takes a long time to get it downloaded so will we have enough time ( or close to enough time) to download before #1 lot selection begins?

20. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    Oh yes I have been looking everywhere for the missing sausages.

21. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    Some of these nice items would be good if we could find them in remote locations like the whiskey and apple juice jugs. That would make them kind of special

niteowl57 and Whyterose Flowers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.