People waited so long for another game to compare to UO.....

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Praefectus, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

Many many people on several different forums all around the country have been desperately waiting for Lord British. A new game, a new beginning. Something that would compare and bring back the memories and fun and experiences from Ulima Online. I believe that is why most people are so worried about the PvP, combat, looting system. The interaction as it once was has never ever been close in any other game on the market. And if one did, it could not compete to the play of Ultima online. Now I know this isn't a UO2, but, being Lord British many many many of us have very high expectations in all aspects of the game but, PvP and combat was a good 60 to 70% of the great of the game. Am I wrong? I believe a crap load of us want to taste that again, they were good times and no one has compared since. Good luck Lord British

Sean, 2ez, EWHART and 7 others like this.
  2. Nerull

Nerull Avatar

I know I speak for hundreds Roleplaying Bloodthristy Orcs from Ultima Online when I say we want to be able to kill, loot,eat and take tribute from as many humans as we possibly can! we are egar to taste blood again!

Good Luck Lord British!

NOOOGRRRAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

-The Bloodrock Clan Orcs

Grak, Sean, Gumpo and 8 others like this.
  3. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

And there are many many people, that want a game in the story telling and role playing tradition of Ultima IV and VII (and UO), like it was promised on Kickstarter (and writing more about this topic would be like riding a dead horse to the state of zombification...)

4. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Why not get the best of both worlds... I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Guerrilla and licemeat like this.
  5. Owain

Owain Avatar

There are many new forum members who bring fresh insights to the various development questions that still lie before us, unresolved. I am currently working on bringing in many more. Those who do not wish to take part in continued discussions are free to do so.

As things stand now, nothing has been finally decided upon, so continued discussion in the absence of information from the devs is called for, so as to continue to provide the inputs the devs have requested.

6. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

I have not read all the threads, I am sure/hope someone has made this point.
    But just in case, here is my two cents.

I think PVP and the ability to loot others stimulates and is good for a player based / crafting economy.

the more people die, are looted, the more they have to re-stock, the more goods are being purchased from venders.

Sean, Nerull and TemplarAssassin like this.
  7. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Yeah, this point was made a large number of times ever since the forums first opened.

At the same time there is a large number of players that don't want anything to do with non-consensual PvP, or even with PvP as a whole, and that would opt to play solo - or even offline - in order to avoid PvP. Portalarium itself seems to expect that roughly half the player base don't want to engage in PvP.

Also, PvP was described as consensual only since early in the Kickstart campaign, and this game's selective multiplayer concept would make avoiding PvP just a matter of setting an option in the UI anyway.

Making PvP forced, and with full loot, would mean driving away the non-PvP players, breaking the promise to have PvP be by consent only, and on top of that require removing the selective multiplayer in order for it to actually have a meaningful effect. Thus, I truly doubt the game will have forced PvP.

That being said, the current intent regarding the PvP/PvE players divide is for anyone flagged for PvP to only see other players also flagged for PvP; thus, if you set yourself for PvP, you will be able to attack anyone you can see, mimicking an open PvP game for those that want PvP without forcing PvE players to engage in PvP. The main difference compared with UO is that everyone you see while flagged for PvP will be expecting a fight; no more attacking unwilling targets.

8. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Oh dear God in Heaven!! Fire Lotus, please shut this thread down! Why don't people READ THE FORUMS before the start making new duplicate threads like this.

Sir Avorin Swftslay likes this.
  9. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

This sounds to me like the ability to Flag yourself out of Trammel to Feluca.

The downside I see in only seeing PvP players is that it risks creating a kind of Hyper PvP world. Where everytime you see someone, a fight occurs.
    A kind of trust noone world without balance.. No need to team up with anyone here, because I can unflag myself for that. Which leads to a poor roleplay experience.

The opposite happens in a world without PvP. You simply lose a huge dynamic in the social aspect, Noone can truly be a bad guy, which in my minds makes a weaker roleplay experience.

I would much rather see a world where you can't PK but has somekind of a guild war / factions system with consentual PvP where you can see every player.

SOTA, focussed around virtues, seems like it would be the perfect game in which to implement PvP. Having a reputation/title system like UO did.
    Maybe the penalties for murder simply need to be so bad that it would barely be worth doing..

10. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

Apologies, I seem to have offended Malak..
    Just don't re-read it then..

Now, I guess I will read every single post in the forums before I dare post again... See you in a few days.

Besides.. Owain brought a good point above.. I fall into that category. Forgive me.

11. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

Don't worry Skalex, it's going to happen. With more new friends in our community coming in, there are going to be more duplicate posts. It's hard as someone new coming in to the sheer number of posts we have accumulated already to read and search through the old ones to find the topics.

That said, I think it might be a nice practice and habit for the people who have been around since the beginning to link to the old posts in the new post so that new peeps in our crew can find what has been said already and help continue those threads with new ideas. Always nice to be positive and welcoming to new friends. :)

For this case I would suggest the following threads which are still active and have covered quite a bit in them:
    Anyone who has any other useful PvP threads addressing this OP's concern, please add on! :)

12. Norse

Norse Avatar

Were you forced to read it? See the forums are like cable, if ya dont like it change the channel.

13. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I was neither forced to read it nor prevented from expressing my views. I got a LOT of thumbs up from that post, I wasn't alone. But hey, if you don't like reading other people's opinions, don't read em.

Montaigne and Seneth Somed like this.
  14. Norse

Norse Avatar

Thats a fancy way of saying i like to band waggon. Anyone can be a "thimbs up" hound. Your post was predictable.

Guerrilla and TemplarAssassin like this.
  15. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

What the F*** is a "thimb"?

Seriously, I wish this thread were closed, it's accomplishing nothing of meaning for the community. Other threads have been folded into the main PvP discussion, I don't see why it's wrong to ask that this one be. It's my opinion. I didn't post it to get approval, I posted it to express my thoughts, and damn the world if it doesn't like my ideas. Turns out, however that the world DID like my ideas, and a great many people were thinking the same thing. Can you show how this thread is actively improving the forums?

Sir Avorin Swftslay likes this.
  16. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Jesterrrrs deaaad YEEEEHAAAAAWWWWWW

Er, I mean, awesome! People have been waiting so long for another PvP thread to compare the other ones to.

skinned likes this.
  17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I hope somehow they integrate all the good things from UO that kept people coming back to it (even now a days)! I would suggest, that the devs go back to the UO game see what made it such a long lasting game, work on those factors, then go to Ultima games see what made them so fun to play, work on those factors too. Then take a look at graphics from WoW, rift. AOC, EQ, and such and work on trying to get graphics up to par, character movements, way things look when thier casting spells, and fighting etc.. Kingdoms of Amular have great graphics as far as character movements attacks and casting so look there too, if they could Mix all that up in a mixing bowl, im sure they would come out with a great looking game that holds the players for years and years.

I wish i had a job with this company to sit there and say "ok , take a look at this, how can we make it look this good if not better", "What keeps these people coming back to this game here?" etc...

18. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

@Praefectus, @Skalex: In case you don't know, there have been many posts from the UO community saying that this game should be just like UO. I appreciate that and have come to learn what an important game it was for a lot of people. Many of us, however, come from different backgrounds and experiences and don't necessarily always want to hear that this game should be UO2. There are a lot of people here with a variety of expectations and play styles. Join the fray with your own personal opinions, but read a little as well about the other opinions on here too.

19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Even though i am an Avid UO fan and hope for it to be like UO, there are alot of other games out there that have great graphics, and play mechanics, that UO never had and i appreciate and hope that those are added into the making of this game, Keep in mind the only difference between other games and UO, is that UO has lasted much longer than most, once again we get back to the "Customization" of that game, but there are alot of other games out there that have 100 times better graphics and mechanics. So we need to take that into consideration too! I think everyones opinion is equal no mater what game you come from!

20. Norse

Norse Avatar

Pointing out a simple typo is what your kind points out after you have no more points.

BillRoy and EWHART like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.