I bought a raffle ticket.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Aug 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm in the raffle for an Anywhere Deed.

Why? Why not? Housing is limited, and deeds are valuable. A lot more valuable than 10k gold.

I could sell this deed for 50 times that amount.

My point? I think the raffle should cost more to get in, and it should be limited to one per account. I know people will get an exponential advantage for having multiple accounts, but it costs $45 for each one of those. It costs a small fraction of that to buy a 10k gold raffle ticket. That means the cost of this ticket should've been more like 157.5k.

Where'd I get such a crazy number from? Well if it costs $1 for 1 COTO, and a COTO is worth about 3500 gold (in-game for taxes) then you multiply the $45 account times the 3500 gold and you get 157.5k per raffle ticket.

OR, you take the cost of a taxable deed (row would be the minimum $85) and multiply that times 3500 gold and you get 297.5k. Take your pick. Either way the cost of this raffle ticket is stupidly under priced, for the winner. The only saving grace is that it's just a ticket for a chance to win, it's not a deed.

Still though, since we don't know how many other people are buying a ticket, my chances of winning right now look pretty good. There are only 400 to 600 people play this game actively. Not all of them will buy tickets. There are 75 Anywhere Deeds. So that means I'm probably getting another deed.

2. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Hence a raffle. You're forgetting the price of not winning, repeatedly.

Although, I do agree that only one ticket per account would be better. And hold the raffles more frequently.

Snikorts, Leelu, zyxe and 5 others like this.
  3. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

Meh - these first year early pledge items are going to be BIG BUCKS later should the game go huge : consider cool first year items from your favorite freeshard or Chesapeak that were on display. I'm not touching any of em if I can help it except that immortality fruit maybe idk. not a coconut nor nary a halberd.

The tickets fine, think about people only logging on a couple hours a week, please.

Or, make the raffle a sliding scale, price tied to hours logged on.

Discounts for seeding mb. I'm up to 951 just today ;) s

tore credit for seeding is a pretty good idea btw.

THE HENDOMAN

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

No, I'm not.
    You have to understand that there are 75 chances to win in a very small pool of entries. Even if every active player (about 700?) bought a single ticket (which they won't), that's like a 10% chance to win! (if I did my math right) It doesn't mean I WILL, but for the amount of wealth we're talking about here? Why wouldn't I risk 10k? It represents a legitimate chance for me to win 50 times what I put in. Or to put it another way, spend 5 hours to reduce my future grind for gold by 250 hours.

Leelu likes this.
  5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ohh snap- wts 5 raffle tickets at 50k each..

;)

I say add the requirement that people buying tickets have not already placed a deed. Let the new people fight for them at those prices.

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm in agreement with the one ticket per account part. I want people to have a place to hang their hat and put down some chests, and bind to. A place to call home. Other than that if the person wants more then that would be up to them finding another way to procure what they want, like from another player etc. This game advertises housing, so there must be ways even if they are campgrounds, rentals, etc. (Player preference of course, some don't care to deco ;))We do not want an Archeage scenario, people should be able to have a home and chest to store things in if they want it.

Tracker, Leelu, Luca Xante and 3 others like this.
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yup new people are important, us greedy types had plenty of chance to make a place here let the new guys have a crack. 1 person 1 ticket or tickets for people with out deeds either way is fine by me.

GreyMouser Skye, Baalice and Travitar like this.
  8. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I am for giving every account a raffle ticket at the beginning of the month. Let the games begin, trading... selling and what not to occur right up to the drawing. Takes SOTA out of the loop up front and stimulates the economy greatly. Taxes will flow into the SOTA coffers via COTOs later.

9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

When the idea was original proposed I was going to get in as well. But I only see the cost as a way to make rich people poor. Since I am already poor, I think it will just make me poorer. Hence, I think it is too expensive. All I can say is good luck!

I don't buy RL lottery tickets either. So I guess that means I wouldn't do it anyway.

Leelu, moko and Aldo like this.
  10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

However would ya if it only allowed people with out lots to buy in?

11. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

I sort of like this idea, though I'd add the requirement that the player has to go at least pick it up, meaning they are still playing the game. As it stands, I don't want to spend a penny on anything other than reagents for my spells and raffle tickets. This I think has much to do with why (from what I've observed) that the economy has come to a halt.

Aldo and enderandrew like this.
  12. rild

rild Avatar

A few points. First, what is the purpose of this raffle? It aims to
    1. Remove gold from the economy, balancing it and keeping inflation to a minimum (thereby preserving the value of all players' gold)
    2. ALLOW for players of less means (time / gold / experience) to collect a deed through luck
    Therefore
    • If the raffle is to function as a gold sink, the idea is to suck more gold from those who have more.
      • Barring some kind of sliding scale based on your actual holdings the only way to do so is to allow for players to spend more
      • A sliding scale could be easily gamed by players with multiple accounts, resulting in the same situation as the current system
    • The low ticket price is intended to allow those with less money / time / experience the opportunity to win a deed
      • Raising the cost of entry foils this plan, and reduces the number of entrants
      • An auction, for example, would result in a consolidation of wealth to those who already hold it
      • 10k is a reasonable number for any player of ambition to raise in a month.
    • Multiple tickets produce an enhanced probability of winning, but in reality the holder of a single ticket has no less chance to win in any single drawing
    • Tickets expire at the end of release. So, a player buys 100 tickets, costing 1 million gold. Maybe they win, maybe they don't. In either case, the primary goal of the raffle - gold sink - has sucked 1 million gold out of the economy, thereby adding balance and reducing wealth inequality.
      • In BDF's argument - if this player wins ten deeds, they could sell them, recouping the gold, and re-entering again in the next raffle
      • This is true, however it overlooks the fact that they have now exchanged deeds for other players' gold, while their original 1 million gold has been removed from the economy
    As I see it, the system is rather fair. I see two possibilities for improvement, though they may not prove effective and in fact could be a detriment to the system.
    1. Limit the number of wins, regardless of tickets purchased. So, yes you can purchase more tickets with your gold if you choose, increasing your probability. However, once you win you are unable to win again the same release.
      1. This could be limited to 1 deed per account, 1 deed of each size per account, or another number such as five (three, Sir.)
      2. Again, those with more RL cash could game the system by using alt accounts, thereby increasing their chances in essentially the same manner as the current system.
    2. If there is strong intent on the part of the developers to provide those players of lesser means with deeds, then another system OUTSIDE the raffle should be used to do so
      1. To maintain fairness, this would either have to be done
        1. Selectively, secretly, or randomly - Resulting in persecution of devs for 'playing favorites'
        2. The best option here would be for devs to personally place deeds in random locations to be found a la an easter egg hunt.
      2. Through an NPC / Quest / Virtue based system
        1. As far as gold sinks go, I wonder if there is a place for us to revisit the virtue of Humility. If you get something for charitable works, is it still charitable? This goes deeper into the motivations of Avatars.
    Finally, let's consider some other possible end scenarios.
    • A player spends a million gold, wins ten deeds, and gifts them via the hospitallers to new players? Is this unfair?
    • A guild wins ten deeds and uses them as recruitment prizes to increase their ranks
    • A player wins deeds and makes a public park with a museum and a maze
    • A player goes bankrupt buying many tickets and doesn't win at all, forcing them to sell their existing possessions to avoid losing their current deed due to taxes
    • Someone wins and starts a cult, allowing access to their land with membership
    As you can see, improving on the current raffle system would be fraught with complexities and equally "unfair" scenarios.
    I think it is a super start, and lovely of the devs to offer. As we progress through releases, I assume they will continue to augment and refine this system as they have all others in the game.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  13. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

rild, I think the idea of limiting the number of wins might solve the problem AND solve the problem with no one spending gold anymore on others vendors.

edit: for myself I see no reason to spend any gold on anything other than even more tickets, as long as it is increasing my chances for even more lots (which I would mostly sell for gold)

Sir Cabirus, Grayhawk and rild like this.
  14. rild

rild Avatar

Travitar - I agree. You are free to spend more of your gold to increase your chances, but you can only win so many times.

I assume any changes would be made to R34, as the rules of the game have already been stated for this release. I am interested to see how all these theories play out in the results. The rich may be convincing you there's no point to buy a ticket...

Grayhawk and Travitar like this.
  15. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

Through sub-optimal farming of monsters I've managed to scrape together 4 tickets and am working on a 5th, then 6th, etc. till the raffle is called. I suspect a LOT of other people are doing this as well as the sales at my and others vendors has come to a halt.

Thwip, rild and 4EverLost like this.
  16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

If I did not have a lot, it would make a difference because it is the only way to get one. It would make me very happy if everyone was able to enjoy all the aspects of the game that are fun to them.

zyxe, Thwip, Baalice and 2 others like this.
  17. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I have a lot of gold coin and no property and I'm not interested in the raffle at all. I'm not putting down that kind of coin when there is no way to even make a reasonable estimate of the value of a ticket.

edit: Raising the ticket price is a pretty bad idea also. The price now is already higher than what a lot of people would pay for 1 ticket just to be in the game with a snowball's chance. Raising it doesn't get more money from anyone and only pushes more people out.

kaeshiva and Olthadir like this.
  18. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

I fully expect a majority of the winners to turn around and re-sell their deed, then use the proceeds to buy more lottery tickets. Rinse and repeat.

Kaisa, Leelu, kaeshiva and 2 others like this.
  19. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

Ditto, and I plan to do so myself if I get more than just the City lot I'm after (for my eventual city obsidian tower of necromancy!) :)

20. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I love the raffle because it is the culmination of telling people they can earn a house in game. Truth is that no matter how hard they work, it's down to a crap shoot. I'm sure everyone here will spin it as "you can earn a house!" even though it is BS.

Kaisa, Leelu, kaeshiva and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.