Tricks and scams in the marketplace

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brighton Rock, Aug 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I fail to even understand why some people think it's no big deal. The last thing we need is people getting cheated for any reason. This will drive new players away and make them feel like the powers that be don't care.
    For everyone who said "This was allowed in UO, news flash, this is Shroud of the Avatar, it is not UO. Everyone really needs to stop comparing the two games. I am sure if you were cheated,your opinion would be different. I have been lucky not to have been cheated by anyone and I hope it stays that way.

Bodhbh Dearg, zyxe, cartodude and 3 others like this.
  2. Net

Net Avatar

I would ban the seller, duh.

Not if they now they are getting banned.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  3. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

There was no fraud.. If whoever reported this TV show, would have taken the time to mouse over the listing, they would have seen in plain text, (Small Bag)... It's not the fault of the seller... It falls under "Caveat Emptor", which is a legal term, and the buyer should have paid closer attention to what they were purchasing instead of taking it for granted...

Happens everyday all across the world... And since @Lord British2 has publically stated that he wanted the mechanics of this game to be as similar to real life as the developers could make it, I don't expect New Britannia to be any different...

4. Net

Net Avatar

Sorry, but this osunds like saying that because there is zone or nobles chat in game, you can spam it every second with advertising message because you are being creative with it.

or worse, that you can be racist, roleplay **** and do other things that are against the rules even though we have the chat and profanity filter.

The game is not sandbox enough to allow all sorts of behaviour. So, some are simply forbidden. I am pretty sure that msot people know when they are crossing the lines, the rest sho uld read the ruels carefully.

Bodhbh Dearg, zyxe, cartodude and 3 others like this.
  5. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

*News Flash*
    This game was billed as the "Spiritual Successor of Ultima Online" since day 1 of it's conception by @Lord British2

6. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

You have 2 ONBE winners standing up for EVERYONE'S Rights. Because if we don't speak out on matters like this you won't have ANY RIGHTS to defend eventually.
    Not that anyone has any rights here ... Now we can derail this train real quick with that but I won't.

Having a ONBE and helping the community don't mean I don't have opinions and a voice for myself as well as others.

Your gonna give us grief for standing up and speaking our mind now? Now that's not very nice is it?

Myself and @Duke Ezekiel Cooper are here stating that this is nothing that hasn't been talked about hashed out discussed for hours and is still
    quite the sticky topic.

But again back to the main point YES. We UNDERSTAND. And we knew. And it's happening. now everyone's gonna start getting all crazy over it.

This is NO Surprise to any of us who have been here for some time and I FULLY EXPECTED AND ANTICIPATED This.Looking forward to it.

It's a GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't rob you at gunpoint here because you didn't read the fine print and got bagged.
    Let's BAN the guy who sold it! Really?

7. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Well, since in RL they also punish criminals when caught, should stand as fine then if they get caught and punished by the police/legal system aka Port? It would then really represent RL behavior, which the Lordship stand for, right?

8. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Maybe Portalarium hasn't done anything yet, because, oh, I don't know, it's the weekend.

Ultimately, you and you alone are responsible for what you do in the game.

Bodhbh Dearg, Berek, Elwyn and 3 others like this.
  9. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Not shocking that your able to justify it. But however you wanna justify it to the crowd, people see it for what it is. Slimey. And those that run their businesses as such tend to get run outta of town, heavily fined or eventually jailed.

If/when there is a in-game function that allows for some type of "justice system" then I would support allowing players immoral selling practices, until then it's just taking advantage of players that don't know the difference and likely creating a bad experience for new players. Not a great way to grow a player base.

10. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Exploiting new players is pretty much the antithesis of what the ONBE is supposed to represent. I'm disappointed, and I feel like it tarnishes the award for those who received it by promoting actual chivalry, by helping new players out rather than focusing on personal gain at the expense of others.

The behavior of the BMC in game has been "make a buck any way you can", so I shouldn't be surprised.

Port has a small staff. It was proposed repeatedly that SotA get a volunteer force the way UO did that perhaps had baby-GM powers.

We do have the hospitaleer program, but they have no power or authority.

11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Wouldn't it be cool if we could have discussions like this in the game, like a town hall or something. I know its not practical, hence the forums. But I can imagine so many of you in midevil garb raising your points triumphantly. It makes me smile to think of it.

Bodhbh Dearg, Net, 4EverLost and 3 others like this.
  12. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

If scamming like this was rampant and common, I don't care how justifiable it is, I know that I and a whole lot of others would simple stop playing online at all and just run our own servers.

13. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

I REALLY like this idea, wonder how we could make it work? We could even end up in a brawl sometimes =)

14. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I agree with enderandrew here. The behavior I'm seeing here is pretty disappointing considering you guys are supposed to be a shining example of the SotA commubity

This kind of behavior and attitude will turn newcomers away, and will hurt the game in the long run.

*smh*

15. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Say whatever you want to about BMC and even about @Lazarus Long and myself. Your personal attacks has fallen on deaf ears.

The point is... It's a free market or bust...
    Turn this game into the [removed by Berek] land that UO became after a few people cried so much that they implemented Trammel, that consequentially, took UO into a nose dive, and we wont have a game to play anymore and the property value will be worth zilch.

So go ahead guys... Cry... Tear this one up too... Say what you want to about BMC... But when the smoke settles, We'll still be here...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2016
  16. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Personal attacks on other players and guilds is a bannable offense...

Just sayin .. ya know.... see how this goes?

17. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

You certainly have low expectations and low regard for the player base with a opinion such as this one is. (Scammers are doing to run rampant) I do not think so, I don't believe the devs will allow that mess to get out of control.

18. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

When a company rewards and promotes the people who exploit others, perhaps you're right and there isn't a place for people like me in the community.

Enjoy your game.

19. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I am probably just to old.

Where else then in a Game are we able to teach about, try out , roleplay all aspects of "Human Nature" else?

Aren't game in the basic, basic idea : Learning for real live?

Kids learn in the most basic boardgames to play fair, to Bluff, to loose, to cope with emitions resulting of it.

All in a Game.

Do we have to protect all and everything.

I think this is s basic misscrepancy what the platform "Game" means.

Or what the Rules of the Game are.

What if minor under 18 plays the game.

Do we need to inform the parents that he did scam with the vendors. So they know there kid has a dangerous attitude for the future.

Or the other way: I can teach in a gMe to look close before spending game money on a vendor.

Experience for real live.

I know getting off topic. But it is intresting.

Quenton likes this.
  20. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

Myrcello, I get where you are coming from and I agree. This is a complex issue in a complex system. I'd like to see as fair a conclusion as possible for both the "********" players and those wanting to play a scoundrel. I really enjoyed playing evil characters in the Elder Scrolls series, but I wasn't affecting other human beings with my actions. I don't know what the solution is, but I certainly do not like the scamming that has begun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.