PvP Zones

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by airroncam, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. airroncam

airroncam Avatar

Please incentivize the PvP zones. Increase XP adventure and crafting. Double the resource drops. Add in mines with insane amounts of ore. Please do something to get people out of their friends only instances and into the game. TY for the consideration.

Vallo, Headquake, blaquerogue and 5 others like this.
  2. lollie

lollie Avatar

Yeah, nothing is going to make players pvp if they don't want to.

Instead of catering to the 0.4% of people who pvp in this game how about improve pve which is what most players here are doing, and add all the things OP suggested to make pve more fun :3

Increase XP adventure and crafting. Double the resource drops. Add in mines with insane amounts of ore. TY for the consideration.

Aldo, Sir Cabirus, Zader and 8 others like this.
  3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

That isn't enough without a bigger picture. If it's just ROI based, people will figure out how to game ROI without fighting.

You need to add factions of guilds holding castles. Then you can dribble the other stuff in.

lollie, Xandra7, monkeysmack and 3 others like this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Please don't add non-pvp activities with increased rewards to PvP zones, forcing non-PvPers to miss out or get repeatedly ganked in order to gather/xp optimally.
    Please add PvP related incentives to such zones, or things that actually improve PvP-not PVE.

Zader, Womby, Lockey2 and 5 others like this.
  5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I spend plenty of time harvesting in Shardfalls... it's a risk/reward thing. Really, harvesting in a Shardfall is riskier than making your way to the bottom floor of a mine. The investment of time is more critical because there's a significant chance of loss as compared to working in a mine or other grindy resource node. And it's more exciting game play... the resources are good but they could be better considering one encounter gone wrong and you could be set back for days having to harvest the resources to craft new gear.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Anvar, Pluvius, Abydos and 1 other person like this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I understand where you're coming from, @Duke Avery , but adding more to PvP zones that non-PvP people need - will only serve to alienate further all of us who are non-PvP.

Like @lollie and @kaeshiva said above - the % of the player base that PvP is quite small compared to us in the PvE - and (knowing this) it really, really gets on our last nerve when the dev's cater to PvP needs.

If you want more "stuff" in PvP zones, let it be ALL PvP related (like they said was gonna happen at one point in the past) - and then we'll all be happy. ;)

The "Risk/Reward" theory, that is really the "Sheep to the wolves" theory is lame, lame, lame... and it does NOT work to take PvE'rs to PvP zones.

All it does is piss us off that dev time is taken on it......

Sir Cabirus, Zader, Womby and 5 others like this.
  7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I guess the difference, Avery, is if I'm going to the bottom of a mine I know more or less what I'm going to come up against and my relative success chances against it.
    If I'm in a Shardfall, I'm going to have to spend the entire time looking over my shoulder or risk losing my gear and/or money to someone 40-50 levels higher than me.
    That's not fun for me, I don't want stress or danger, I want to gather things. I don't want to feel like I have to put myself into harm's way to optimize harvesting, and I know myself and I'm sure others would be upset if the game moved in this direction. I think it goes against the initial philosophy of the game.

People should go into a PvP zone because they want to PvP. Period. Not because they need to go through it for a quest or because they need resources that are found there in abundance. Basically, its just one step away from being nonconsensual pvp, in that its consenting-to-the-possibility-of-being-ganked. No thanks.

I have no problem with consensual PvP.

Here's an idea for you to chew on-
    I would love to see, for example, a resource found only in Shardfalls, lets call it a blood gem for example, that when slotted/enchanted adds an effect that increases damage against players.
    Non-PvPers would have no reason to go in there and get it, because it doesn't do anything for them, but PvPers could seek it out, fight over it, farm it, sell it, whatever.
    What about adding nodes of this nature to all the resource spawns there? Blood gems from ore nodes, and something similar to bushes/trees. What if these things could make gear, consumables, potions, etc. whatever that buffed your capabilities - against other players - for a time? Potential applications could be detecting stealth, damage against players, damage resist from players, etc. that lasted 10 minutes or whatever. Why not even blood-wood from the trees that could make unique furniture with a dark red tint or something. Certainly not a necessity for non-PvP, but would make a fine table on which to decorate with the assorted skulls and jawbones you get killing folks. And deco enthusiasts could always buy these materials from the PvP folks, giving them a unique farmable item to market. What about gathering water from the centre of the shardfalls and having that be used again, for something that boosts PvP ? There's a lot of ways to go about this that wont alienate the PvE crowd or make them feel punished by adding PvE content to a PvP zone.

8. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

"the % of the player base that PvP is quite small compared to us in the PvE - and it really, really gets on our last nerve when the dev's cater to PvP needs."
    +
    Maybe that's a fair assumption to make based on the day-to-day conversations in the forum.... but in game the percentage is likely much higher than you think. And no one is even playing yet. Once the mechanics for PVP are properly fleshed out and integrated, the PVP crowd may easily dwarf the solely PVE crowd. Understand that I say the solely PVE crowd because there will be a large majority of PVE players that partake in PVP (I'm one). It'll be on Portalarium to create PVP mechanics that make having a persistent PVP flag worthwhile, but things as they are PVP will become a hallmark of game play in SotA come launch.

Anvar and Pluvius like this.
  9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I love the idea of a blood gem! But the idea that PVP should be throttled back because PVE types don't like it makes no sense to me. PVP is absolutely 100% consensual - if you don't want to take the risk, you don't have to. A better PVP game will only serve to make the PVE game better - once it's all said and done the two will have a relationship that feeds the economy and Twitch.

Wanted to add - it's not fair to presume or dictate how others should play this game. I don't go into Shardfalls for PVP... I go to harvest because I'm willing to take the risk. I hate the grind and for me, Shardfalls right now offer the only interesting harvest in the game. If they added a PVP mine to the game - I'd be pretty excited actually.

Anvar and airroncam like this.
  10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

At the moment, yes, PvP is 100% consensual.
    If they made mining twice as efficient in a PvP zone, I'd be pretty upset about it, because in order to maximize my mining time I have to put up with PvP nonsense. (Note, I define nonsense as being throttled by a posse of folks way beyond my lvl stomping me into the mud for the sheer hell of it).

I don't think PvP zones should have PvE bonuses, but I think if we brainstorm a bit we can come up with loads of ways to make the zones more appealing without having to go the 'pve bonus' route, as this is always going to just cause an argument between the two sides that there's no solution to without someone walking away unhappy.

Womby, Lockey2, Aldo and 4 others like this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What @kaeshiva said above is EXACTLY what Port should do, instead of trying to find ways to go back on their promise of Consensual PvP.
    I have zero problems with those who love PvP, but the resources in the PvP Shardfalls should be there for ONLY PvP related stuff just like kaeshiva said above.

Why do you PvP people continue to insist that there needs to be stuff in your zones for PvE people ?
    Why do you need PvE'rs in there ?

Let me answer that.

PvP'rs aren't satisfied unless they have people to attack that are neither prepared nor interested in PvP.
    All attempts to get PvE'rs into Shardfalls is simply an attempt to attract the sheep to the wolves.

That PvP'rs continually want to find reasons to "lure" PvE players into Shardfalls - is because there just are NOT sufficient PvP'rs around to fight - and not enough easy kills of harvesters.

golruul, Sir Cabirus, Womby and 7 others like this.
  12. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

We've been going through the same circles for 3 years. People who want to PvP just to PvP will play some other game. Even MMOs with very good PvP systems - like WoW or GW2 - top PvPers would rather play something like LoL. PvP is only interesting in an MMO because it ties together all parts of the game.

Having a contest between two guilds for rights to settle in a player owned town is a much better solution that rl$ or a lottery. And that contest probably bares very little resemblance to PvP in it's current state. I don't like duels or random ganking either.

Lockey2 and lollie like this.
  13. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Uhm... when I go into a Shardfall, I do so to harvest, so your assumptions aren't entirely accurate. And it's because the resources are better that people like me go. And sometimes I get pwnd. If you don't want the risk, don't take the risk.

Pluvius likes this.
  14. lefty

lefty Avatar

1. There's hardly any resources in the shardfall, for the exception of Verdantis.
    2. There's not enough MINING NODES in the PvP zones.
    3. MINING a NODE in the PvP zone gives the same XP as mining a node in elsyium or anywhere else. INCREASE by two-fold.

Please increase the resources in the shardfalls, increase the GAINS and also add some PvP type of activities to lure players there.

Thanks,
    Lefty

15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Absolutely not! This goes against the entire principle of consensual pvp. If you got double harvesting xp in a PvP zone its completely unfair to people who choose not to embrace that playstyle.

EVEN ASKING for this just goes to show that you aren't interested in more PvP, you're interested in killing people who are there for some other activity because its the best place to do it. No no no no no. We need ways to make PvP more appealing, not ways to force PvE folks into PvPing.

Avery has said above that the Shardfalls are where he goes to harvest. If the resources are already "better" in the Shardfall I'm confused why it needs another buff?

16. airroncam

airroncam Avatar

I have spent over 30 hours in the Shardfall zones and only see the same few people if anyone at all. There is barely any incentive for anyone to ever be there. It isn't even worth it IF you are looking for pvp...
    Adding a PvP resource that literally has 0 value because the 5 people PvPing will have billions of it to use against no one... Not the best idea.
    If you are here because you dont want your AFK safe mine to be less than optimal because there is a better option with more risk is nonsense. Pls leave.

17. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

When I say harvest, I'm talking about cotton, pine, and maple. There needs to be more reagents and ore.... and better fishing. I like to fish too.

If you ever want to try out Shardfall harvesting I'll go with you. How good the resources are will always be subjective... I do like how the nodes are laid out - it makes for a slower pace and a more exciting patrol. The strictly PVE scenes I go to for harvesting feel like grindy ping-pong after the first couple visits... boring is the word that always comes to mind.

18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I don't think anyone would freak out if there were more nodes per square foot in the shardfalls, but making them -worth- more is another thing entirely.
    And I may take you up on that Avery, sounds like an adventure ^^

Duke Avery likes this.
  19. lefty

lefty Avatar

Re-read my post and you will understand why it's NOT BETTER. PvE folks aren't forced to do anything. If the resources are better, then that's their choice to go to PvP zone.

Risk vs Reward.

There should be better resources, better gains and PvP activities.

Anvar and Abydos like this.
  20. airroncam

airroncam Avatar

I think there would be plenty more people willing to PvP if there was ANY point to it, anything to fight for, anything to fight over. Currently there is not and its depressing. :(

Anvar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.