PvP Zones

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by airroncam, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I read your post. You want to double xp on nodes in the PvP zone, which makes it SIGNIFICANTLY better use of your time.
    Why you want to pick on harvesters? Wouldn't you rather PvP against people who also want to PvP?

2. lefty

lefty Avatar

It's not about picking on anyone. It's finding something constructive to do while I wait for PvP to happen. During downtime, I harvest. Simple as that.

Abydos likes this.
  3. Gamician

Gamician Avatar

Here we go again. They tried this carrot on a stick approach in UO for years. Add this, double that, make things available only in PvP areas and on and on and on. In the end no one still went to those areas. The only and I say ONLY reason for adding harvestable resources in a PvP areas is to get those who do not PvP and do not care to PvP to enter the PvP zones to be ganked or killed by highly skilled PKers. Quit it with this Risk vs Reward garbage. What risk, what reward? Who takes the risk and who ends up with the reward? If you cannot get enough players to PvP who really want to PvP because they enjoy fighting each other then don't keep creating carrots on stick just for ganking some Crafter after Resources then. Remove most of the PvP areas and condense it down to just one or two where everyone who wants to PvP has to go unless it is a POT. Many, many of us left UO because they kept spending (no I'll say wasting) the money we paid for the game on another PvP idea for dragging Non-PvPers into the PvP areas. Double Resources, Power Scrolls, Faction Equipment, Faction Mounts, and on and on and on, all a waste of developer time and player money on failures. Now SOTA is headed in the same direction. So many PvE and world building things need to be fixed and instead of talking about those we are talking about building a PvP town. Crowfall is a PvP game. SOTA was supposed to be a totally consensual only PvP game and every effort now is being made to change that. Shadowbane was a PvP game too and look where it is today. Another game in heap of unsuccessful open PvP games. SOTA started out being a PvE game with Consnsual PvP in it. That creates very little problems for anyone. But now it has changed. Now it is headed to a PvP game with some safe areas sparsed in between. Truthfully I feel betrayed by those who created SOTA.

golruul, Womby, Lockey2 and 7 others like this.
  4. lefty

lefty Avatar

Wall of Text, didn't read.

5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Absolutely agreed 100%.

Just think that those 'things' to fight over should NOT be PvE commodities such as crafting resource.
    Coming up with something new and different, as suggested above (blood gems, or something along those lines) which only affects PvP is an elegant solution.
    Coming up with something that can be done with the multitude of bones you get PvPing is another option - bone armor that has innate defenses against players? Bone dust used for potions with PvP-specific buffs?

There's a whole area to explore here really - add a rare drop to cotton bushes - lets call it blood silk - that can be used to make a unique looking cape for you PvP folks. Add titles unlocked for so many kills. Add some castles to fight over or something that give a buff to a specific faction (assuming we get factions...). Just please don't add PvE incentives.

6. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

That's a straw dog argument, 90% of the zones are PVE, few zones are PVP, most of the dev work has been in support of PVE, as for the "the % of the player base that PvP is quite small" , its larger then you people think. Just look at the top event EVL's virtue fights are always packed.

Personally I'm sick of those that support PVP getting slammed and marginalized in these forums, because someone had a bad experience with PVP "insert years ago here".

Let's find a solution to that makes both styles viable!

7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I think working toward a solution that doesn't force Non-PvP folks into PvP, but gives PvP folks something to fight over, is what we need to come up with.
    Personally, I see no reason to PvP at present. At best, I kill someone and get some ransom money. At worst, I get killed and pay some ransom money.
    Its pointless and boring, I agree, in its current state I have zero incentive to go do it.
    If there were rare PvP obtainable shinies - I'd go do it.
    If there were titles, capes, deco, etc. - I'd go do it.
    If you added a house in a shardfall that had deco props you couldn't loot anywhere else, I would organise a party to go loot it.
    If I didn't want to risk it, then I could buy it from those who did - for whatever price they're askin'.
    If there was a way to craft gear with stats affecting damage/mitigating damage for players, whose materials could be acquired via PvP, I'd collect them to become a better PvPer.
    If there was a big castle in the Shardfall that, when captured, gave everyone in capturing Guild (or faction, or whatever) some sort of buff, nothing too dramatic but decent enough to go try and do it - I'd certainly participate in the siege.
    If there was some sort of currency you gained for killing things in shardfall that could be used at some outlaw town instead of gold (perhaps at a better rate?) to buy npc consumables, that'd be cool too.
    And none of these things would make a non-PvP player feel like they've gotta step into the shardfall or they are missing out.

For those who do the always-on-pvp-flag thing, I get that, the excitement of it - but its not for everyone.

In an MMO such as this where you have people with a large range of skillsets/gear anything that forces someone into a situation where they can be effectively 1-shot isn't going to do anything but make it less fun for all parties involved. Unless you are the kind of person who finds 1shotting a low level player satisfying. But I would like to think (and hope) that this is not the majority and that this is not the kind of PvP that you want.

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I just want to point out a small correction. No one is forcing anyone into any zone. Everything is consensual. Everything that is in the zone as a resource can be found elsewhere in the world. You do not need to enter the zone to get anything out of it. Sure it might be in greater quantities and more abundant but you are not locked out. So please do not say anyone is forcing anything.

Abydos, GraveDncer and airroncam like this.
  9. lollie

lollie Avatar

Incidentally when are we going to be able to find Skulls we can use to make Skull Candles in PVE, currently they're only found in PVP which doesn't make sense as it's a Crafter item, not an item useful in PVP.

10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I want to make a grim reaper mask, but alas told that its seasonal.... How am i supposed to be undead.... :(

Leelu and lollie like this.
  11. lefty

lefty Avatar

That's where you differ from anyone that has the PvP spirit. I want to PvP and I do not need a reason. It helps to have reasons but I don't need any specific reason.

Also, stop saying "force" non-pvp folks into PvP. There's NOTHING forcing them. Even if resources are better, they wont risk it.

The dev's better wake up and cater towards PvPer's or risk losing them. Either commit and produce something viable or remove it from the game completely.

airroncam and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  12. lollie

lollie Avatar

I asked for some new awesome costumes for Halloween Festival - here

I got your back :3

Leelu and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

ya I could buy a seasonal mask but htey have no stats, so I cannot really Role Play, I could look the part in town though

14. airroncam

airroncam Avatar

How about a high level dungeon with good drops and XP and a rare drop?

GraveDncer and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

hilt originally was supposed to be a pvp control point. You would have had to fight NPC mobs and Players in order to use the super high blacksmith table there. Not sure if its pvp or not now.

16. lollie

lollie Avatar

If devs cater to the pvpers by making only pvp areas have good farm rates they risk losing the pve players who would feel justifiably miffed, and there's a ridiculously much larger amount of PVE players than the tiny amount of pvp players that would get upset if they had to farm mats at same rate as pve players do.

You really aren't in a position to throw down ultimatums.

tinman_n8, Womby and Beli like this.
  17. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i'm pve, but i have pvp friends. and i don't mean one or two, i mean most of them in this game. i want my pvp friends to be happy. i don't mind dev time spent on good ideas to improve pvp. ...but these are not good ideas. you need to work on mechanics, not rewards.

Womby, StevieD, Beli and 3 others like this.
  18. lefty

lefty Avatar

It's not an ultimatum. Either they start catering or risk losing players. It's not a threat, just the truth. PVEr's already gain the same benefit from MINING as PVPer's do.

There's nothing to get miffed about.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  19. lefty

lefty Avatar

They need to work on both.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  20. airroncam

airroncam Avatar

Don't even know the "mechanics" because all I ever do is fight the same 2 guys over and over again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.