Why do we need a newbie-mega-guild?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Earl Atogrim von Draken, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

In my opinion we have some people that look for problems to fix. By doing this it makes them feel and look good at trying to help even if it assumes eveyone needs help when they dont.

2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Need to be very careful there trying to pigeonhole intent. I was in the message loop for hospitallers. I watched it for a good while and eventually, tuned out knowing it was is good hands. Had I still been it, I would have come out strongly against the guild. But the motivations are easily as diverse as the participants. Nothing but respect for them wanting to help out people. Sometimes the road to hell is paved with good intentions which is why open forum discussions like this to counter well meaning ideas is a necessary and good thing. Lets keep the well intended out of the path of criticism.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

It won't need Hospitallers as members, though. Just anyone who happens to want a global chat, whether with the intent of helping new players or for any other casual purpose. The Outlander guild in fact makes the Hospitaller guild pointless; there will be no point to being a Hospitaller, versus a regular joe player in the Outlander (ie "global chat") guild. Which is a shame, since the existence of groups like the Hospitallers are what makes this game special... and this change would get rid of that special element.

The change would also significantly impact the amount of local chat and local activities, since global chat always takes away from local chat, and significantly impact the amount of people in OPO vs SPO, since you can guild chat with people over SPO.

4. Mekong

Mekong Avatar

Good luck to current smaller guilds. Most new guilds and relationships will be formed through this mega guild. Nothing like competing for guild members with a guild formed by the developers.

5. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Few quick points responding to some people here that may be misunderstanding the intentions of the new player guild idea, and emphasizing what Dallas already covered:

1 - No, it was not directly a Hospitaller idea
    2 - The guild is meant for new players and is an idea we came up with to resolve the "where am I, what is this game, where are others" entry barrier
    3 - A default guild is simply to allow players to feel they are part of something in the beginning
    4 - We are discussing if you can retain the guild after joining another guild

A quick clarification on the term "Hospitaller". It is simply anyone that wishes to help others, no one is excluded. That is it. For those who keep attacking the Hospitallers and only seek to find the negative in intentions of the Hospitallers, you need to join the regular open meetings that are freely available.

I've also changed the name of the thread title so it's not misconstruing the reality of the new player guild creation, and so we can focus on the topic at hand - multi-guild support for the game.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  6. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Well said.

Ravicus Domdred and Time Lord like this.
  7. moko

moko Avatar

As a relatively new playere, I can say that having a global chat ingame would have helped me a lot in the beginning. As is I found the discord channel and that was fine, too :p But, if I had had access to a newbiw guild in the beginning, I wonder if I would have ever left it? I mean, what perks will other guilds be able to offer compared to a large starting guild? Not to be misunderstood, I value the guild I'm in now and enjoy playing with them and doing events with them, I'm just not sure if I'd have ended up there if I'd have found all that in a newbie guild...

Cally, Mykll, Koldar and 4 others like this.
  8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

You should be more concerned about getting people into the game in the first place rather than try and direct them when they get here.

Being a new player in a new unexplored virtual world is being part of something. Given the very nature of MMOs, if someone is stuck they tend to ask players who they see. They don't need a nubi guild to do that.

Multiple guilds suck and always will suck. It actually destroys real meaning and loyalty.

DepGames, KuBaTRiZeS, redfish and 6 others like this.
  9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

+1

10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

So this (multi guild) is and has been the intent. The outlander guild us just a trojan horse to implement it?

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

@dallas I really wish the team would change their stance on global chat....since that is the intention behind the new guild. If it waddles and quacks.... ;)

I know the nobles chat is mostly filled with questions and answers from those who can talk on it. It would be nice if this functionality was available in a global channel all can join in. I'm not advocating giving nobles chat to everyone, just a global help channel. And ban those who use it for sales.

12. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

A starting player 'Outlander' guild is a great idea.

Other games have tried this and it provided early community support for new players.

SOTA would benefit from it. Unless new players join a guild, big parts of SOTA's design are, frankly, isolating and not natively group interactive. A tool that enables the community to better detect and engage newcomers will be a good thing.

Given that, I don't understand why this idea is being torpedoed. If someone here doesn't want to participate or has concerns about global that, that's fine. Simply opt out and disregard it.

I do think that SOTA moderators and anti-spam tools will have to do a good job in such a chat channel though. This feature should not be implemented unless there are plans for that.

13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Oooooooor they just try to work more public.

14. lollie

lollie Avatar

For a sec there I thought OP was talking about EVL :rolleyes:

(I thought we already had a newbie mega guild...do we need another?)

15. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

It's not really about a guild (imo), it's about getting new players involved and supported in the community with a guild. And one of the key features of a guild is guild chat channels are global.

I know several times I wish I could simply ask a question from people who are playing. Or ask to see if anyone wants to group up and adventure together for a while. But nope, I have to enter individual scenes for that...which is a HUGE time sink. It sounds like I will be able to just join this newbie guild to accomplish the same thing. I hate having to be affiliated with a guild to gain a feature, but will do just that for the advantage of having a global chat.

16. lollie

lollie Avatar

Why don't they just make a newbie chat channel where someone moderates the chat so it doesn't get all racist and sexist on us, and people can ask and answer questions.

That is a time tested tradition in other MMOs...so long as the channel is properly moderated it will remain a newb-friendly zone.

No need for opening up possibilities for multi-guilding (worst idea ever btw).

Cally, Mykll, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  17. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I'm of the same opinion. Keep it simple.

moko, Cally, Mykll and 5 others like this.
  18. lollie

lollie Avatar

Also I'd love to see guild wars when one guild with you in declares war on another guild you are in.

Anyone advocating multi-guilding considered that?

Katrina Bekers, Acred, Mykll and 3 others like this.
  19. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I disagree that allowing players to participate with more than one guild destroys gamer loyalty to a group. The old school 'forced loyalty' (my way or the highway) guild approach isn't what builds player loyalty.

Loyalty is created when a player finds a great group of friends to game with. Especially those who share similar interests. In society, a person participates with many groups (work, church, kids soccer, hobbies, etc.). Why would it be different online?

An adventure guild is only a start. People might also want to be in simultaneous groups with real life family gamers, their in-game band, a lore-hunters group, alliances, a troupe of role players, etc. that extend beyond any one guild.

Why would a good guild master want to limit the creativity and participation of their friends in such groups? Multi-guilding is a simple tool for this. If someone doesn't like that, they can always opt out.

20. lollie

lollie Avatar

If you're not liking the guild you're in, simply leave it so you don't inflict your bad feelings onto the rest of the guild members...then join another, rinse and repeat till you find "your" group of people.

Multi-guilding opens up disloyalty, people with no commitment to a group of people they're supposed to be backing, because they're in several groups and maybe only one gets their attention while the rest are being used somehow or flat-out ignored with them not being arsed enough to leave the other guild they don't care for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.