restrict pvp to similar leveled people

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Hendoman, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

And that's where we differ. Meaningful PVP is not gathering resources in a PVP zone. Now that may work for you but there is one issue, that people always fail to see with this idea.

When/if there is a larger player base, things start changing in that model.

I would also like meaningful PVP Ina different way. Here are some of the ideas I but in a different thread buried in the PVP threads.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

If you ask 100 PvP players what the definition of this phrase is, I suspect you'd get 100 different answers. There may well be overlap between the definitions, but I doubt any of them would be identical. The same applies for the hot-button term on the other end of the spectrum... "Immersion"

3. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

You are correct and that's why ideas here and finding that common ground of what PVP should be and where is so important.

blaquerogue and Time Lord like this.
  4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Finding common ground isn't about forcing restrictive mechanics for PVP on players... this is a sandbox MMO and the PVP mechanics are going to have to reflect that. Does enacting a system of PVP encounters that force players to be of equal ability before they can engage in the spirit of a sandbox MMO?

I'd rather see every PVP scene, basement, arena, yada yada yada become forced multiplayer before anything else... this is a sandbox MMO - there's nothing more MMO than being in multiplayer. And open PVP should be exactly what it is .... OPEN PVP.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

well poop, i didnt think of guild wars and teams.... I still think it was worth a few keystrokes

THE HENDOMAN

6. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Wow...
    As I said earlier no I don't see a big benefit from restricting who can fight who.

But in your own words you only wear a PVP tag when you go in PVP scenes. So basically your cutting the game in half playing sometimes when you want to PVP and other times in safe zones. And the lack of PVP tags in game show there are others doing the same. So maybe this is not the most well thought out idea but it has more merit than just open PVP for all in any scene flagged for PVP, which divides the game and does nothing for incorperating PVP into Sota. PVP becomes something to do when your bored of the other aspects. You empty your packs mitigate your risks and start roaming PVP areas looking for something to do. Hopefully, someone else is bored at the same time and roaming.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

OH dude - you're killing me. Stahp!

I know you don't like PVP scenes... and I get why you're trying in every PVP thread you post in to advocate open world PVP flags possibly as an attempt to get people to flag static open world thinking if they do PVP scenes will go away. Dude, that aint happening. I think if you give it some time and wait to see where the devs are headed it'll make more sense to you. If SotA was about full time PVP it would be an open world PVP game for everyone. PVP scenes are awesome - the story and reasons are coming - those shardfalls are wicked - trust in the devs. And hit me up in game, I'll show you how to navigate a PVP scene so you can harvest... it's actually (imo) the absolute best fun a player can have grinding in this game.

8. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Yes I am against restricting game content behind a PVP flag. And looking at ways to integrate PVP into the game in a way everyone can enjoy.

Why have a PVP flag when so few use it?
    Why limit who will see amazing content behind a PVP flag?
    Why be so closed minded?

PVP players want to PVP when they want to and that is why they do not use tags so they can mitigate risk. The shard falls are generally a barren waste of game real estate. And PVP is not growing!!!!!!!!! The changes they're talking about could help, if they do it right but, if not they chop the game in half (sounds familiar) and piss off a lot of people that want content.

Tough decisions on tough topics for the Devs and a few people with different points of views giving input. I just hope they learn from past games and don't follow some of the roads that lead can lead to failure.

9. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

I think what's being suggested certainly could help bring more players into PvP. The issue is it could also divide the playerbase too much. It could help because players would be more likely to participate in something where they're not going to get instantly obliterated by that guy 20 levels above them though. If I were lower level, I would never even step foot into PvP for that reason alone. And the levels that some of the top players are at are just not reasonably achievable for most players who don't have that much play time available to them. However, I think this level idea would only really work if the player population of this game was significantly higher than it currently is. I just don't think there are enough players right now to do this. So currently, it's just not a feasible idea.

10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

If you look at all the "PvP" games that are extremely successful right now - MOBAs ánd hero shooters like Overwatch - there is pattern you can see there. Not the level of the player is important in winning but his skill.
    This way not the guy who grinds the most wins but the guy who has the better skill.
    But here with this community - strange enough - there seems to be a need to fight those who are not of equal skill but who are lower in level. I don't know why but this seems to be the driving factor for all of these discussions. "We want open PvP and full loot so that we can attack everyone even those wo are of lower level or don't want to fight" - Why? Why not fight those who think they are of equal skill?
    I don't get it. Sorry.

11. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Adventurer level.. will we ever truly get away from this hidden number? I hope we can.

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I would, and im not even a "pkr" i think they should have some sort of challenge and by taking away thier sheep hunting, they would concentrate more on people that would actually give them a challenge.

Time Lord, Lord Baldrith and Toadster like this.
  13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Id weigh in but Duke Avery and Rufus basically have it covered.
    Me and buddy been running in pvp since we were 50-60's in the skills ( so day 3 onwards). Its hilariously fun, the cost of dieing isnt that painful, (should be more IMO ) and the open PVP how it is is awesome. If anything id say theres TOO MANY current pvp zones, but with time and quests being thrown in that makes sense.
    As for roaming groups of gankers? Lol. Ive run it solo and duo and never seen more then 2 or 3 people together.. and even then it was still a fun fight as we had the surpise factor.

Theres also alot of people who realize its the best place to farm certain resources and run it pretty safely. Usually if i find a farmer just doing cotton, ill kill em once, give him his stuff back and tell him to poke me if he sees anyone else =P
    Dont know why everyone is so scared of pvp when its so much fun.

14. Demoyn

Demoyn Avatar

Because when you split a population into fractions you don't have enough people or variety to make it fun for anyone. WoW was referenced because it already has people split into groups of 10 levels for PvP, and the queues to enter the battlefields can take up to an hour at some times of the day due to a lack of participants. Keep in mind that WoW has hundreds of thousands of players on every server. We do not have that kind of population, so it would make SotA even worse.

Not to mention the fact that this game is supposed to be as close to a fantasy simulation of real life as possible. Fair doesn't exist in real life, and it shouldn't exist here. If you want to win, be good. There are no trophies for last place here.

Time Lord and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  15. Curt

Curt Avatar

What PvP:ers need is easier to find each other that is of a sufficient challenge.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

some like the challenge of people that have out leveled them.

Time Lord and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  17. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

If people want a level matching system for arena duels then fine.........other than that open PvP is open PvP there is no need for hand holding rules.

18. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Really don't think anyone here is scared of PVP. But ^^^^^^^^ does not equal fun in my book.

And did I read that right? This is who Duke Avery "stand up for the little guy" PVP'er hangs with?

Time Lord likes this.
  19. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I actually think that this isnt that bad of an idea and could be done easily at least in the dedicated PvP scenes.

But of course, there would actually have to be real PvP going on, something we are still waiting for and hope to have on release if we get more players in this games...

Heres how...

Scenes are instances. Change the instance algorithm to instance similar lvl people first (or if its a group, similar aggregate).

It could be that easy.

20. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

The whole purpose of griefers and gankers is that they aren't looking for a challenge... If they were they wouldn't harass those who have no chance against them.

Having said that, the few times I've PvP'd I've had lots of fun even though I'm almost always the weakest person there (I don't focus on grinding because it is so annoyingly dull and is what mostly keeps me out of the game... when time does allow for gaming which has been tight recently). If they implemented this idea then I would never have had the opportunity to enjoy those fights because everyone else was much, much higher than me. It isn't a bad idea as such, I just don't think it would resolve the current issues that PvP has.

I'm also not a fan of the various dev created PvP zones (not PoTs, as people are investing money specifically FOR the PvP cities) as I don't see them actually getting those who don't enjoy PvP into PvP, and instead just mark areas as no go zones... but doing something that makes them more likely for people to be willing to go to would be helpful.

Time Lord and Toadster like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.