restrict pvp to similar leveled people

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Hendoman, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

A good idea recently posted requested pvp to be restricted to similar level people. So if you are level '20' you cant be targeted for a sheeping by anyone over level '30' and cant target anyone under level '10'.

This sounds like a great idea, but something tells me there's a caveat i'm not seeing that makes this unworkable... but on the surface it sounds good.

THE HENDOMAN

Time Lord, creedofgod, moko and 5 others like this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

You really think that griefers and gankers would agree to taking away their prey?

3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Oh look... Another request for a rule governing PvP.

4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

@The Hendoman , do you PVP?

PVP is PVP... right now there are already multiple layers to it.

Open world
    Forced multiplayer
    PVP PRT Towns and POTs
    PVP player owned basements
    Castle Arena PVP

Time Lord likes this.
  5. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

ah... i Knew i'd get some grief for another pvp rule. Well, is ANY aspect of the pvp working? or drawing people in? its past time to start looking at ways without giving people **** about it. Like we have been doing. Yes, pvp used to be ruleless, but i think changing times may change pvp models. Yes, i do pvp, but not on Sota yet. Haven't seen the point .

THE HENDOMAN

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Bwahahahaha. Owait. You are serious?
    Well then be so kind and tell me how this will help to revive this dead part of the game.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Ok, just so I'm understanding this, you don't PVP - but you want to change how PVP works in SotA, even though you don't see a point to it.

Are you trolling?:p

8. Selene

Selene Avatar

I think this feature would be great for a duel matchmaking arena scenario or sorting for a zone capture the flag "game" instance ... but probably not a good idea for ALL pvp.

9. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

Maybe he WOULD PVP if he could trust, that only those about his own strenght and level will attack him and not a squad of gankers just in for the easy prey. The idea this suggestion is about enforcing some degree of fairness... it won't help against a whole horde of gankers of course...

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Take a good look at wow pvp.
    In wow pvp is not existent below max level because of the rules he is asking.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

i dint pvp here because the mechanics are broken. that's all. I think we should try everything possible to get pvp working or viable. Yes, i'll entertain any ideas to get something going... I'm not sure why all the disapproval. I'm not sure i understand the WoW reference, pvp doesn't exist because there is a rule like that already in place? I didn't know that. and I wonder why. Why would people not like to pvp against someone they have a chance to beat, or to make it a challenging fight?

Folks only want to be able to sheep newbies?

I always pvp'd similar skilled folks in uo... never saw the fun in sheeping, never saw the challenge in getting ganked by an uber.

THE HENDOMAN

12. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Where are the gankers? (pics please)

Please understand that I'm not a blind supporter of PVP. In fact, I hate the idea of targeted PK just for the sake of murder and mayhem. But it happens, and it's part of this game world. That said, PVP is happening and if you want to be a part of it - BE A PART OF IT. The devs aren't going to do anything to balance or enhance or change anything until people are doing it.

Everyone wants to talk the talk. NO ONE wants to walk the walk.

Maybe PVP wouldn't be such a huge issue if people would just do it. Why wait for the system to be exactly what you want. Dude, this is your opportunity to actually shape how it's developed - just do it. It's really not that bad as is - and because the Oracle is watching everything (even PVP) the virtue system now has a play in PVP actions.

I always relinquish the ransom - so, if you want to PVP with me (warning: I'm not very good) I'll PVP with you whenever and wherever and it's ZERO risk to you because I don't keep loot.

Send me a message - we can schedule some time to work through every known game mechanic if you like - snap screen shots and write up feedback.

Time Lord and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  13. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

What we really need is a rule about suggesting rules. Because we need more rules about suggesting rules and having rules, rules about changing rules,rules about who decides rules and rules about the ruler makers and rule breakers, as a rule as it where. o_O:)

Time Lord and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  14. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Good post, PVP needs something and it is not prettier zones with better drops to get more crafters in to PVP. They need to rethink there entire strategy on what role PVP will play in this game. Any idea is a good idea and I hope the Devs make good choices for this game.

blaquerogue and Time Lord like this.
  15. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Do you PVP?

How would this work in a 5 vs 5 scenario or 5 vs 30 scenario? How would it work in a multiplayer scene were two people are harvesting together ... one is a level 20 and the other is a level 80 and they're attacked by a level 45?

Anyone that wants to discover PVP should get out into the SotA world and PVP. Hit me up in game - I'll run with anyone and show you what I know (which isn't much)... but it's fun and exciting.... people are missing out on so much, PVP can be so much fun if people just get out of their comfort zones and do it............... stop waiting and just do it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Time Lord and MrBlight like this.
  16. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Sorry if that was misleading, ideas in general for PVP are needed because a few here think that forcing PVP in scenes and increasing drop rates are the way to entice people to PVP. This is completely false. It failed miserably in many games. I Dont see a big benefit from limiting PVP as to who can attack who, but I also don't see anyone running around with a PVP tag on.

So I'll turn that question back on you, which you have already answered in another post.

Do you wear your PVP tag?

17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

If PvP is to be restricted to characters of similar levels, how would you propose that any combat between PvP player Groups be adjudicated?

Planned for SotA or already implemented are:
    • World Wide Open PvP accessible by forsaking the protection of the Oracle
    • Shardfalls which are open PvP
    • Ruins which are open PvP
    • Open PvP in Player Owned Town with Governors that choose that option
    • An Open PvP NPC Town with associated dungeons
    • Guild Warfare
    You would propose that in all of these instances, engagement be gated by the level range of the participants?
    How would this work in a Guild War, for instance? I can see mass chaos and confusion as guild mates call for help and they can receive none because the available help is too high a level, or too low.

Additionally "Level" has very little meaning in SotA, and will likely be Unknown to Avatars come release.

18. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Every single time I go into an open PVP zone I do and I run exclusively in multiplayer - so you'll never find me wishing or wanting to grind a PVP zone in single player mode.

I'll go through phases - some weeks I spend almost exclusively in PVP zones - other weeks I pop in and out depending on how much time I have to game.

I'm a solo player: no faction, no guild, no alliance, no trade agreements, no routine... I think I'd be more inclined to run an open world static PVP flag if I was in a guild - PVP is more fun in groups to be sure. Right now my PVP experiences are limited to being a crafter and wanting to harvest in PVP zones. I enjoy harvesting in open PVP zones a million times more than harvesting in PVE scenes... the change in how things are done is dramatic. You can't just roll out to that one rock and kite mobs until you're encumbered and have to drop your inventory in a container or sell. In a PVP zone, you have to stay aware. You have to have a strategy in mind, you have to move with purpose and understand your deck, your armor, and your weapon. It's a dramatic change from PVE grinding and once you find your groove and get your confidence levels up you'll almost WISH someone would try and gank you.

About the gankers and PKers... they're going to be needed for meaningful PVP. My character in game is going to hunt gankers and PKers... without the bad guys, there won't be a need for any good guys or any grey area.

PVP in SotA seems to me like it's laying a foundation to be anything but simple in development. Although, it should be simple to play - and by that I mean that meaningful PVP is going to be immersive. It's already tied to the virtue system (and my cloak burns bright blue). If folks would just take the time to experience it and let it sink in, they'd know what I'm talking about. PVP in SotA is already fun and exciting; just imagine how amazing it could be if enough people were doing it that the devs decided to start actively tuning PVP mechanics and refining the experience.

19. Headquake

Headquake Avatar

i already see lvl 2 caracther farming safely ressource in pvp zone

20. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

That is indeed a valid point against Hendomans proposal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.