Population Concerns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Allistaire, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

You must also account for your targets dexterity which reduces your chance to crit

2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Yea i did my original testing on greens into yellows and was no dif.
    That being said i edited first post. Maybe they did fix and just no post on it or responses in forums hahaha

3. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Fine, but you are about 10 minutes late on that I already beat you to it.

So your logic is:

1) Different guy posts an opinion
    2) I respond with an opinion contrary
    3) You cant deal with it and drop personal attacks
    3a) "perhaps you are the one that needs to look internally for a bit."
    4) I respond to you in kind
    5) You cry about a personal attack and report.

Great logic there.

4. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

You could just be really unlucky. Or, I could just be really lucky. Post data from 1000 swings and then we'll be getting somewhere. It looks pretty normal to me but I imagine your swing speed is way slower than mine so you feel the burn way more when you don't crit.

I agree that starman never posted any personal attacks, however bubonic did jump on you for some reason and started attacking your personality, but in a non vulgar way.

Best just to each take a step back and change the subject. Starman did have a point originally that it did sound as if the other person was causing a bit of their own distress by focusing too much on the grind and their level.

Stahlknecht and 2112Starman like this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Its a good practice to check the patch notes under the "About" tab on the main website every time there is a patch. They do a good job of trying to highlight every change (aside from exploit fixes) made from patch to patch, and most of the info i gave you mrblight was from there.

Id link u directly but im on my phone in between customers and itd be a pain

EDIT: also, hits to the back bypass dexterity's defensive bonus

6. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I just want to add also that I don't think anyone quit SotA just because they went from critically hitting 80% of the time to 10% of the time now back up to around 20% of the time... Although r34 did pack some punch in the nerf department, people need to understand that right now we're in a phase of development where the developers have every right to be testing the extremes of everything outside of the scope of the economy. That's how balance is defined.

SotA has a huge advantage over other games because it has a huge playerbase during this 'alpha' testing phase, ultimately giving them access to enormous amounts of data which will help them avoid errors due to speculation. So even if the population doesn't seem as big as the day after final wipe, it's still way more people than is needed to gather the kinds of data it seems like they're trying to get right now.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well until last night feeling utterly helpless to get our friend into the game while on teamspeak, I have had a few moment to pause.

I also know that those of us who have sat back and have more patience to sit back and watch the game develop more and more can't always see from a different point of view even though we try and try being so committed to this being a great game, and yes I can really only speak for myself to having shut my eyes or squinted at what is happening.

I cannot tell you how frustrating it was to have our friend say 'I don't know if I can do this, can you not just get me out of this damn starting area' and no we could not.
    - I could not jump in there and whisk him away.

- All the 'I've been here since almost the beginning' had no weight for me to do this.

- All the changes that go on could not give us a newer version of what to do at the moment that would get him out of the starting area by trying to look up forums posts and we could not find any recent instructions on how to get him out.

This very thing totally let me know that this game as is will lose a part of the population that doesn't do story, doesn't try to figure out things or want to, wants to just play the game in the way they want to play the game, without obstacles to doing that.

- Very little opt outs are in place at this point and that needs to be an option especially in that starting area
    - or at least a smarter npc's that can know they are having trouble after a certain amount of tries that are logged like if player does x then y communication will pop up
    - perhaps a timer for how long they've been there that says 'hey perhaps they are having troubles getting through the area'

Options could be go to the tutorial area full of starter vendors to give crafting quests, combat and movement quests, and story quests, or just opt out and go to the world map. Also our friend was locked into the area, while he was on our friends list he could not teleport out to us and we could not teleport to him.

I understand story is important and part of the niche of this game but locking people into areas is not cool to everyone. To appeal to the masses choices need to be made that allow for different types of players to come into this game.

More communication about what is going to happen in that starting area at least definitely needs to be told. If you choose a then b will happen, some hand holding after repeated tries hint hint hint, perhaps you need to kill all the damn creatures to leave the area.

Another very important option 'Perhaps It could be I see you are wavering would you like a hint or would you like to keep exploring and keep trying on your own, if so do this?'

While to some who want to preserve the niche status of the game will not like to cave on some aspects of it.

There will be some new players who will like parts of the game if allowed and not other parts of the game.

I don't think it is right to force one type of game on everyone. I have all the patience and belief in this game in the world and while it perhaps does not sound like it at the moment, this is true, but last nights experience threw me for a loop and did open up my eyes to some issues that may be there when the game is released.

Me and Lord Baldrith have played games with this grouchy person forever and he is our friend. I'm sorry I did not understand some of this frustration from others in the past, I am truly sorry about that. We always intended to play the game with this person as well. Our friend has been here waiting for the game to get more complete and has a knights pledge. he even commented on a few neat things he saw, but many were still a problem to him of course,so many load times etc, clunky movement and combat look. still didn't like avatar looks. (His comments)

Now I believe as we develop take the blinders off a little and provide options for new people of many play styles to come into this game. The population will not be a problem then. So many things about this game to love and many are so fantastic and will be even more fantastic when more complete. I still do not doubt that. Sorry for going on and on but I'm still upset about it.

edited to make more sense ;)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  8. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Wait. You reported me for repeating your own words back to you and labeled it a personal attack?

...lol. I think that definitely qualifies for a /facepalm

Kaisa, Apollyon9515 and Nataurz like this.
  9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Nothing in todays updates about it, though the main group that is feeling it is the Crit archers - Pine , Supple , aiming for 30%.. though so far im reading positive things since last night so maybe that fell udner * Fixed some exceptions * in their patch notes?
    If i still seem off i will do a 1k shot thing with skills .. but yea i mean 30% and i can do 3-4 rapid fires without seeing 1 crit ? (rapid fire is 9 shots lol ). Another guy in other thread did some serious testing and it seemed anyone aiming for more then 20% wasnt getting it. But *shrug* thats only thing that was keeping me off lately, and even then it was more because i didnt wanna have to rebuild armor/gear and total setup.
    As for the 80% .. yea thats crazy i dont even know what that was relating.. i was always dead on 30% overall up till R34 then it was down to 5%.. then back to 15%.. so hopefully my char is fixed =)

(and yea i was just ignoring the bickering between those people as i had stated my opinion to actual topic at start lol )

Moiseyev Trueden and jammaplaya like this.
  10. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I am glad you find the grind fast paced, interesting, lively and exciting (i.e. the exact opposite of what I said as your opinion is that my opinion is completely false). Also, keep in mind, your opinion does not equal fact.

Although your response to my comment and this response BOTH make it appear that you are not paying attention to what I actually said.

Mentioning that you ground your through levels and NOW (emphasis mine) are having fun and (direct quotes) "doing all the other fun things in the game" & "finding something to do... one of a dozen different things." kind of helps support my complaint about the tedious grind not being fun. But I could be misunderstanding your meaning.

I respect your opinion (everyone is entitled to one), however, try searching for grind just as a topic title. There are a large amount of topics on it, from various different people. Very few (none I could find, but there might be one or two outliers so I'll leave room for that) of the topics are anything like "WOW! THIS GRIND IS SO MUCH FUN AND ENJOYABLE!!!" This causes me to think I'm not the only one in the game or on the forums who has an issue with the grind.

Lots of people are having great times. I do enjoy hanging out with people doing OTHER things in game. That does not mean the grind is fun or enjoyable. Do not mistake that a valid criticism of one aspect of the game in any way, shape, or form diminishes any of the OTHER aspects of the game. My response was not on your dissenting opinion. It was on your rudeness, and dismissiveness of my opinion, and your random attempt to draw my opinion into other areas that I never mentioned nor had any intention of mentioning as they aren't the reason I'm not currently playing.

Also, the purpose of this thread and the OP is to find out why the population is low. I was explaining why my time is not currently being spent in game. I respect that you disagree with me, but saying I'm wrong for the reasons I'm not currently in the game makes no sense.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Dantuin, Kaisa, Apollyon9515 and 5 others like this.
  11. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Population won't be an issue once the tech that will allow for crossbow weddings makes it into the game.

12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

30ish% is intended to be what you end up with with loys of crit enhancments. Archer recieve a penalty if firing while moving

13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Idk I see a problem that has me concerened. 100+ in the guild that started at final wipe and house placement. During peek play times this week 15ish log and ive seen several houses expire due to the resident not logging in and paying taxes.

I also see lots of empty space and ask people who dont have a house I get responces like, I dont need a house I just log in to see if people are playing yet.

Now all this dont mean much but it makes me think its not apealing to some as it is to me.

14. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

This reminds me that I thought this game was supposed to be 'sandboxy'. How is locking someone into a story quest sandboxy? A new player should be able to run out of the scene at any time and come back to start the quest line later. This was one of the things that was so cool about the Ultima games. Namely, that you could run around and explore.. do a quest.. run around a little more.. do more quests... have several quests going at the same time.

Dantuin, Stahlknecht, Kaisa and 7 others like this.
  15. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Umm... Yes. As my post is 100% about the grind
    that is in fact what I was referring to. I appreciate that you are able understand what my post was about, but again I fear you are reading more into it than it warrants. It had nothing to do with the other aspects of the game that were brought into it (which is what my other responses were about). Also, I'm not focusing too much on it, I'm mentioning why I'm not in game currently. When I eventually have time to waste on the grind (or if they make it more enjoyable), I will be back in SotA. Also, it doesn't really anything to do about the level as such (I was more using the other games as examples of non-tedious feeling grinds). Its the gathering aspect of the grind that I find most problematic.

jammaplaya likes this.
  16. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well, there isn't anything to do in the game except grind and socialize -- and, yea, the complete the story elements, if you haven't done that. But grinding is boring to most people. And not as many players care about dance parties and gustball tournaments as I think the common wisdom is in the community. Its why I think designing all the game mechanics around grinding and socializing is not a good idea.

Personally, I'm on the game every day grinding, simply because I want to raise funds for something. Once I'm done with that, I'll have little to actually log on for. Oh yea, I might be forced to grind some more to pay taxes; not that it'll be enjoyable to do that.

Aside from the player population online in the game, there's still a good chunk playing in SPO/FPO instead of Multiplayer, and I think this chunk will increase with future planned mechanics...

18. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

FFS.
    So heres a quick summarry, and why im not even going to bother doing anymore.

I have - 17% Wep crit chance + 5% crit chance on Bow alone. I then have 5.5% from armor , and then 3.9% from skill boost.
    101 Ranged skill, 100 Aimed shot, 95 Rapid fire. 77 Blinding shot ( To reduce 25 dex from target first each fight ) These are the only 4 skills i used. (62 Eagle Eye passive )

Yellow Elder wolves ( Low yellows to me, )
    168 shots -
    12 misses - 7.1%
    22 crits - 13.09%

So im like okay.. ill try low greens.. 3 skull area.
    Timber wolves + bandits ..
    66 shots
    0 misses
    7 crits = 10.6% Lol.

Thats the point i realized i dont know why pine / supple feels like its absolute garbage. =) so its not just in my head.
    I quick killed another 10 wolves while typen this and its the same if not lower.
    Lack of a dev response is whats making me frustated. =/ Unless im missing something here?

19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I would start a thread in the R34feedback on this. Devs rarely reply here or there but they read that more often I think.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  20. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

There is about 4 differnt threads up about crit chance boosts not working properly =)
    * The nerf on the bow is real eh? *
    *Crit chance still broken*
    * 2 H wepon not criting properly! *
    etc etc lol Just means i play rocket league with buddies while we hope for a dev response.
    Eventually we will get impatient and respec or completly redo armor and gear and not be happy about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.