1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 35 Instructions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

@DarkStarr or @Chris can either of you explain how this works? 4 hours of decay seems pretty ambiguous to me. How much xp decays in four hours? How many levels decay in four hours? Is the decay calculated based on a portion of the xp I have earned over the last four hours? I'm very confused by what "accumulates a maximum of 4 hours worth of decay." means. @Berek maybe you can wrangle an answer to help clarify that?

2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Love the new elven homes! Might be my favorite so far.

3. reuge

reuge Avatar

Looking at the R35 Map, Soltown move out of the landlocked. Is this right?

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Except for the lighting issues (which I originally reported in R34 QA and still persist) this is a really great release. :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@DarkStarr, will the obsidian crown merchant in Vertas be selling the Ornate Elven Longbow?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Top 5 to me:

- optional PoT Entrances ++
    - Agriculture +++
    - Water +++ ; but can we gather water from the Wishing Well from the Make a Difference Programm???
    - Cooking +++
    - blueish White Aura for enchanted Equipment ++

great Release

edit: missing my Bug Sprayer from incentive programm to use it with my plaguue doctor mask while roleplaying :cry:

rild, Moiseyev Trueden, Numa and 3 others like this.
  7. Acred

Acred Avatar

I don't think I've ever take so many notes of all the new things I want to visit and try out in a Release.

Chapeau! to the whole Portalarium team. :)

Hazard, rild, Bow Vale and 4 others like this.
  8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

This is from the release comment on the homepage...

DarkStarrPost authorOCTOBER 26, 2016 AT 6:08 PM

The current max accumulated loss is 0.04166% of the total experience in the school. So if you have 100,000 xps applied to a skill, dying will lose at most 42 xps. This gets applied to all skills on death though so if you have 10 skills with 1 million xps applied, a death will cost you at most 4200 xps.

9. ManaPlow

ManaPlow Avatar

Ditto from me. The entire weekend has been reserved for SotA! :)

10. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

As requested earlier in the thread please start separate thread about decay questions and tag Chris

majoria70 and rild like this.
  11. DarkStarr

As mentioned earlier all wells provide water

12. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

NICE!!!

rild and Duke Avery like this.
  13. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

I read the instructions!

huzzah?

14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

That however would be an untrue claim so you'd have to take that up with the titan-bot on your next Confirmatory visit, that the lord of chaos naturally does not follow the path of truth.
    :D:p

The position of Portalarium has been repeated a couple of times that you don't seek corrections for the Player Instructions, with the old (1+y) statement being that you were waiting to do a complete overhaul for launch, but which also has been followed in practice in that none of the reported issues with the Player Instructions has been corrected that I've seen since R15-16 something.

For instance just in this release I noticed that the instructions
    • still have the table offset with the name/title colors
    • doesn't mention how the Inactivity Timers work for Tax Free claims, in fact it doesn't mention the Inactivity Timer at all, I was hoping for that so I could refer questions to it
    • still has the old incorrect info on the timer for Resurrection at an ankh, plus the incorrect info on decay at death, so still can't reference that to new players
    • stealth is mostly a placeholder text with no actual instructions or practical info
    • skill unlearning still gives the wrong impression that using an Obsidian Book is less effective, and there is still no actual Player Instruction on how to use such a book (so we see that Q over and over in the Nobles chat and discord channel)
    • even though agriculture was updated with the dry/wet look info, it was not updated with an instruction on the new Water Harvesting feature
    • the /commands list is still incomplete, so have to refer to player resources when interacting with new folks
    • encumbrance was changed, but there are no changes in the Player Instruction in encumbrance section, for instance stopping when at zero focus, will probably have to answer that a couple of times
    • etc
    You know me, I could go on for at least a hundred of points easily which needs corrections.

Is my impression wrong? Since I thought that it was an active choice you as a dev team had made, like with the in game maps, that you don't want to waste time on endless corrections of the player instructions until at such a time that you were ready for the complete overhaul.
    Do you actually want us to read the Player Instructions and give you feedback/corrections on it?
    o_O

My guesstimate/recommendation is an emphatic No, since that is a big task which you don't have the manpower for at the moment.
    So until such a time we can't expect everyone to use them since they are not ready for prime time.

15. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Avatar

If you have ever seen an 8 year old looking at a Toys R Us Christmas catalog, its pretty much the same as me reading the more recent release instructions.

Edit..To be clear I meant the linked Player Instructions document, not my post....oh... well then that's like grown up me looking at a Uline calatog.

16. DarkStarr

To be clear I meant the linked Player Instructions document, not my post.

NRaas, rild, Mata and 2 others like this.
  17. DarkStarr

Not correct. Old map that we have not yet corrected

majoria70 likes this.
  18. DarkStarr

I'm not sure when we made that statement but we would love to get feedback on the instructions with the caveat that it is not meant to be completely comprehensive, only meant to hit the highlights. Would you be so kind as to start a thread on feedback on the Instructions doc starting with this info?

19. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

First off, I'd like to duplicate others' sentiments in that this is another fantastic release, chock full of new and improved content! It amazes me every month to see just how much the Dev crew gets in each release!

I have one question that I think many others would also like to know the answer to, relating to:
    Will we get any indication on our account page as to whether we've earned any of these yet? It would also be great if we had some sort of tracker to let us know progress on earning these rewards. If people know they are 1 or 2 reports away from earning something, it may entice them to go hunting for bugs! ;)

*EDIT* For others that would like to know about this question, I just checked my account page and saw a few of these rewards added to my "Special Rewards" tab! :D

20. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

I cant wait to get in game and see all the changes. I think a lot of effort and hard work went into this release. The plans for the future look equally as good, my only hope is we can get some housing that looks slightly less run down! Rusty green houses, who would make it rusty?? maybe the ability to paint the inside walls of our houses...

rild, Bow Vale and Ao Soliwilos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.