Is Selective Multiplayer working or will it destroy SotA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

perfect. :D

K1000 likes this.
  2. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

To play solo, yet be part of the larger MMO community at times, was the Kickstarter charm.

I do not waste time worrying about those power gamers who expect to rule the economy on top of their mountain of Gold, but, at the same time I resent my preferred mode of play being the easy target scapegoat for all economy complaints.

I play for my own enjoyment, if balance starts to feel like self-inflicted punishment in Solo, the reason to play will be gone.

Dantuin, Lace, Scanphor and 12 others like this.
  3. psteg

psteg Avatar

I fully agree. I do not give a rat's patoot about how others want to play. I play the way I want to.

And as a foot note, there is no such animal or thing as balance.

4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Lol . So because players are already above average.. your solution to the abuse of current spo and friends mode being use able to completly destry the value of items.. is to leave it?
    And why screw with peoples style of play? Maybe becaue the way it is destroys item value for anyone currently in mmo mode? Technically your style of play being out of balance, is ruining my experiance.
    Even with your logic of it cant be balanced because our current population ( very low ) has some * super rich * players.. your suggesting they dont fix it or prevent this balance and current system from being better for when they release and aim to actully bring players in?
    Id argue the current players here is a meazly 5% of their goal for 6 months after release.
    Imo they dont care about the people outa whack right now, becaue in the big picture its irrelevent.

Also rich get richer argument i find funny. Just cause i have a mil in gold, doesnt mean thy shouldnt aim to keep silver valued at 80 -100g an ore. Instead of 30 ( or less since anyone can get unlimited on 2nd week )and dropping due to over farming and unlimited respawning. Lol

5. syxs

syxs Avatar

Nobody has answered the question how is SPO any different from a large guild flooding a zone to get a new instance created for their farmers to go into and get everything? If you take out SPO/FO then take out all instancing and just have 1 zone per map no exceptions, Opps zone full then you can't go in. Wait this game world wasn't designed to be one zone, it was created with instances and if a large group can spawn an instance so single player should be able to as well.

Again show me how SPO/FO is breaking your econ its not.

*Edit*
    Better take out Control Points as they spawn mobs faster then respawn and then your making more money from loot and exp faster and loot then other zones. Also one one Control Point instance per place on the map or another group might form in it and be able to get stuff besides the one group in the first instance. This is the problem with this SP/FO killing econ as I can point to 5 other places that Mob Killing is doing the same thing.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    Ice Queen, Stundorn and Xandra7 like this.
  6. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Right now there is a terrible economic imbalance caused by gains too easily obtained with too few or none at all risk/reward consequences - this is a big problem that will only get bigger and bigger over time... to think SPO was intended to be happy magic everything is available for everyone all the time hooray land is wrong - simply put, it's wrong. Not only is it completely and utterly immersion breaking, but it exists in opposition of anything regional. People coming here for the MMO should never be forced into SPO... and that's what's happening for anyone choosing to pursue a profession.

If folks just want to be alone and grind... that's cool - divorce SPO from the multiplayer economy and allow the devs to focus on balancing the MMO. And for what it's worth, your position in this discussion is a comparison of SPO to multiplayer mechanics that are being abused or exploited... let that soak in for a minute.

MrBlight and Kambrius like this.
  7. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

Your own fault to spend money into an unfinished game. Wait until the game is released, then you can complain.

8. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Because im too tired to actually repeat myself or whats already been said ( and yes, it has )
    Your comparing a broken mechanic that is also a major controversy.. to use as justification for keeping another broken mechanic.

Explain to me how the Eco is good how it is? Do you sell anything regularly? Have you seen any thing hold their value? Do you not understand i can grab x3 (easily) of pretty much any resource using any mode other then MMO? Does this not basically show that that flood of resources will completly out weigh what an MMO player can gather? Seems pretty straight forward....

That all being said, On that new thread its written right. Spawn rate should be relevent to the amount of people in a zone, not the mode itself. EX: alone in an instance in MMO mode should yield same as Single, scaling upwards with each player.

Nobody has answered the question how is SPO any different from a large guild flooding a zone to get a new instance created for their farmers to go into and get everything? If you take out SPO/FO then take out all instancing and just have 1 zone per map no exceptions, Opps zone full then you can't go in. Wait this game world wasn't designed to be one zone, it was created with instances and if a large group can spawn an instance so single player should be able to as well. *
    So.. right now, lets pretend your comparing 8 people sharing the resources that are allowed for 1 person? What? You think in a group of 8 people in same zone, even with the current respawn rate in MMO, its MORE then a single player can grab?
    I mean. maybe if your saying 8 people pooling resources overall.. then yes.
    You know whats a better system then that ( and this is someting weve been doing? )
    having 8 people in their own private instances getting 100% of the rez, instead of splitting it. Then pooling afterwords..

So reallllly... i would think any smart guild.. isnt *locking out an instance for nodes* .. and are doing as many individual as possible.

The only exception here might be the massive amount of CP abuse.. (which as you stated, needs to, and is being adjusted) -- And even that.. is 8 very devoted people to do that abuse.. not the same as me taking 8 guildies, less then a week old, and being able to gather 1000s of rez an hour with by running private instances in SP mode.
    Or am i mis understanding you?

Want to do a simple test?
    Go to serpentine mines.. Thats a nice easy mine.
    Run it yourself. You can do about 120-150 iron ore/h in the first room alone.
    Now bring 3 friends along, and tell me how much you get. Probly, 120-150 if you all pool.

Now have all 3 run it themselvs at same time.... bet you, you get more then 120.

Womby likes this.
  9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I selled Mandrake for 2.5 gold :eek:, while producing costs are around 1g.
    Don't calculate Hoes, Time or Water.
    Didn't ever have a problem to find buyers :D

But now i become more greedy and want 3.5 to not not to confuse and travel the market :cool::p

I think that players need to depend on each other due to crafting and roles.
    I think some powergamers abused exploit and grind anyway to min max and are a little unbalancing the Eco, nevertheless if they use SPO or not.

But most people who are play in SPO or FMO that argued here seem nonpowergamers, but casualplayers and roleplayers who don't want to compete about ressources against players who have a lot more time and playing the game more like a challenge.

For them Portalarium offers options.
    I think that are great options.
    They may not perfect and maybe enlarge the problem of an imbalanced Eco, but to me and all the other casual and roleplayers Eco is allways unbalanced because of this effectiveness related , higher, faster, further mentality of other gamers.
    Well, there are many playertypes, everybody should respect and accept the other.
    And they both need to find an compromise.

I guess the XP Bonus and spawn rates depending on numbers for all modes are this compromise until Porta find a better solution or figured out there is no better compromise if i want support and offer something to both playstyles.

I guess the problem about Eco and we dont sell anything to others and characters or guilds etc... aren't interdependent about regional ressources and archetypes like healer, Tank etc... is not a problem of modes, but a problem of game design itself and powergamers with rush mentality who want it all and have the power. Economically and combative.

You needn't max everything or learn all skills and recipes etc.. although you can.
    There is the issue, some want it all and some are unprincipled.

Porta does right if they offer options.
    It's the players who choose what to do with.

And it's the players that are allways annoyed by powergaming and exploiting and min maxing who enjoy to have the option not to suffer from overharvested scenes.

To me this development is the logic conclusion of players behavior.
    They have the technology, they have the
    request and therefore we have the option, because Porta want their game offer to a wide variety of playstyles.

I allways think the unbalancing may be less without SPO, but still there and that's not because of the option but because of what players choose to do with the option!

Beside that i play in a guild with min max gamers and roleplayers, both hardcore or casual. Lets say, i know people who farm 350k Silber in a row and people who always play their Role when online and didnt even do some pve, just crafted a little and RP in their PoT.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  10. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

Word! People have to decide in which mode they want to create a character with all consequences. Give us the option to create 1 character per mode. Economy would exist only in multiplayer mode.

11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Why i have to decide?

Because you want be more effective in producing, selling, fighting?

Its ambigious, on the one hand they want competition, but if it becomes unbalanced and seem unfair they want to change and avoid it, but people who use it to escape the competition because they allways feel disadvantaged need to compete and arent allowed to avoid and change it.

12. syxs

syxs Avatar

See the problem is these small zone sizes and the limited resources. You want CP where you can farm mobs and get loot and exp all day but you don't want a way for someone who is a gather/crafter to get goods because it ruins your econ? Your massive spawning for Mobs at CP give more problems to the econ then the solo player who is farming up mats to craft due to them causing inflation in the market. They make more money per hour killing then you can get an any other zone so they can drive the price of those limited resources higher. This does not solve the econ model it makes it worse. Now add in someone who has a friend that comes and trades off all the loot from them and take it back to a town boom even more money besides the gold they get while killing mobs and you create a large groups only kind of game. If you don't have a large group you can't compete because the large group will just kill steal and loot all the nodes before you get a chance. You have to kill mobs at nearly every resource node spawn. If in multiplayer you are clearing the mob someone can go and steal the node because its a public node so you do the work and someone else is getting the resources. You don't solve any of these problems by making solo/fo/open all be their own modes without a shared econ. You also cause even more balance issues in the econ.

Nothing of what you said shows how me being in my own instance solves the problems as Mines are all private instances not "open" ones, meaning I can be in multiplayer and go into the mine and boom private instance. Now if you add in number of people in the instance as how fast it respawns you have 3 issues. First issue being that mobs currently respawn on a set timer and when time is reached 50% of dead mobs are spawned back into being. If that is the case with this new system then this spawn method needs to change as yes I wait longer but 50% of the dead mobs come back so more then likely I can kill everything and just afk till half come back. Not sure how the current resources respawn but if its something like that or if its just node X takes so long to respawn then I just mine out what I can leave the zone and go to another, 5 mins later I come back and the zone has reset and I can mine everything again. The second problem is this just makes people want to have alt accounts for going to the mines as ok just put alt at entrance to zone. Then they are able to mine while getting higher respawn rate then a single player but also have the alt to hold more items for them to farm longer. And the 3rd issue is that what happens when a high level person goes into a low level zone clears it of everything and is just about to leave new player shows up sees nothing the high level player leaves and you have a slow respawn time? This new player can't go to other zones as very few 1 skull zones around the new starting areas or they don't know them and these new players see empty zones of mobs and resources as walking around boom respawn happens and they can be in the middle of where some mobs spawn and dead. Very bad first impressions.

Stundorn likes this.
  13. syxs

syxs Avatar

How is someone following you around taunting you because you won't flag for PVP abuse? How is wanting to have a private RP session in a town without someone coming in and doing emotes abuse? No that is abuse of the people trying to escape those people. Allowing people to have the choice of I don't want to deal with the drama of guild X doing a large scale RP event in town by going friends only or SPO is an option. Or if I want to craft and not worry about chat from random people seeing me standing at the crafting table asking questions. The abuse of these game mechanics is not going away. You will have people farming for hours and hours on end in the CP because its the quickest money and exp maker right now. But if you can't spawn your own instance then you have to wait for the other group to quit. That's an issue they are not solving. So forcing new instances isn't going away. The problem is large groups are the only ones to be able to do it. This also doesn't cover that all mines are private instances as is so I can be in multiplayer go into a mine instance and boom private not open. So tell me again how making everything in SPO different from Open Multiplayer is going to solve those who farm inside of mines? The SPO/FO is great for farming up cotton or wood because you get your own instance in mines so it doesn't matter for those mining.

Dantuin, Xandra7, Ice Queen and 2 others like this.
  14. psteg

psteg Avatar

My decision not yours and none of your business. I will spend what I want when I want and then complain when I want. If that bothers you, go tell someone who cares what bothers you. By the way I am not alone. I figured they have a good thing and am not afraid to spend money. But don't advertise something and then take it away because some wannabe developers think they can gain balance in this or any other game. In the mean time I will state what I feel when I see fit.

dp_dropout and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

DÄNG DÄNG DÄNG DÄNG!
    Time to close this one i guess @Berek ^^

16. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

maybe Port could run an experimental month's release with no shared spo/fpo option. That way we can all experience the perceived pain, because I play pretty much solo and always in mmo and I never see a crowd or fight for resources - it's like I'm in fpo anyway. This is possibly due to the fact that y'all are in fpo? or maybe the time of day I play? or maybe the lame zones I play in?

... so perhaps many of us just don't understand the issue and need to experience a fully crowded world fighting for resources so that we can sympathize ?

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

No need for that because that's not about sympathy towards a feeling or an opinion.
    It's about what was promised ;-)
    Even if it won't get crowded i wouldn't want to farm in MMO mode.
    It is annoying for a lot of reasons i already described some pages back.

Dantuin, psteg and Womby like this.
  18. psteg

psteg Avatar

I am done with this discussion. I won't give and my opposition won't give. Done!!

19. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

...is there anything more annoying than a community member calling for a thread to be closed because they don't care for the way its going?

Please! More censorship!

20. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Well, it's definitely about grinding now. There are so many better ways to handle resource gathering, but grinding is what we get.

I hate to admit it but I feel like a labor point system is the best way to maintain scarcity and evenly distributed availability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.