Is Selective Multiplayer working or will it destroy SotA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

To me it would make more sense to lessen the grind, I am not sure how to handle those that make a million experience in an hour, or harvest 500 ore in the same time, I am
    baffled by those numbers.... not sure if that is most or just some, I do not even come close to that. Power gamers do what they do, in whatever mode they find themselves in anyway.

Lessen the grind, and folks will have more time to go out of their way to socialize, if that is the push behind getting folks out of SPO/FPO. Not everyone has all hours of the day available to them to build up their character.

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I don't understand why this grind was introduced in the first place...
    During the Kickstarter campaign it was said that the game wasn't about grinding.
    I get the impression that more and more of what was said during the Kickstarter isn't true for SotA anymore...

Dantuin, cartodude, Chatele and 5 others like this.
  3. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I think the game that was promoted on Kickstarter is almost unrecognisable versus the game today. It's become increasingly "what MMOs did 10 years ago" with no innovation or anything remarkable about it.

4. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

You do the same cry, baby. You sound like you are not aware that the game is still in development. Chill.

5. psteg

psteg Avatar

I am
    I am very aware of the fact that we are pre-beta. Am I a cry baby? in some sense maybe yes. But what pisses me off is other people trying to tell my how to play a game the way they want to play it. They should leave everyone to play the way they want to.
    SOTA should concentrate on making the game better per release, not try to appease all the cry babies. I play multi player when I want and Solo Friends when I want. I do not and will not PVP. It does not excite me or interest me. If you want to PVP or play other modes than go ahead , it is not my business what you want to do. I paid a lot of money to play this game because they offered the various mods. Now they want to make it so the other mods are unplayable and force us to play multi. That is a renege on Port's part. Which means it was a bold faced lie to begin with. What else are they going to lie to us about? Maybe they should all become politicians.

Dantuin, Gaelis, Xandra7 and 2 others like this.
  6. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

It's not a lie...

All the online modes share a single economy... Therefore, all the online modes are subject to balancing actions that are necessary to strengthen and make healthy our multiplayer (shared) economy.

It's a sandbox MMO with a shared economy across three online modes... the health of the economy is paramount and will always come first. My personal opinion is that Friends mode and SPO should be divorced from the MMO economy and all harvesting, crafting, trade, etc... that is to be considered for commerce in multiplayer should only be done in multiplayer... but that's just me.

/thread

MrBlight likes this.
  7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I will use this topic to ask if everyone that complains understands that no re-spawn! = no instance reset.

8. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I would ask you please to both chill. This kind of posting is what gets threads locked around here.

cartodude, Gaelis and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  9. psteg

psteg Avatar

I am chilled. I am naturally confrontational when I think something is wrong. If you have a problem with that, then I will calmly tell you that you will continue to have a problem because I will not fix it. I always have and always will say exactly what is on my mind. If it offends, so be it.

10. psteg

psteg Avatar

So you want to call it something else? Lets call it an untruth. Yes the modes are all economically intertwined but why would you make the other modes unplayable to force people to play what they do not want. Once again, real slow now, I bought into this game based on their promises. They are making the friends and single on line player unplayable by reducing the spawn rate dramatically. That makes them unplayable. That is a renege.

Dantuin, dp_dropout and Xandra7 like this.
  11. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

You win... you should be the developer - you know what's best.

Tell you what - when balancing loot drops, mob respawns, resource nodes, COTO drops, gold inflation, player concentration points, crafted goods, player progression, risk/reward, marketability, buy/sell transactions on vendors, regional significance, oh... and getting people playing multiplayer because sandbox MMO - just remember everyone should have everything they want always.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2016
  12. mass

mass Avatar

I hope it's just you!:p I think they can balance it. Let's at least try it before we throw it away.
    That's why I think it can be balanced, and the time to reset is probably a sentinel balancing factor. Too short, advantage SPO, too long, advantage MPO.

My opinion of this is based obviously on my own play style, where I play 1-2 hours a day at most and like to peacefully farm resources or mobs. My efforts don't lead to economy imbalance. However, I get the need to reign in 12 hour a day farmers running unimpeded in SPO. Those guys are as harmful to me as they are to the folks that want to run in MPO all the time. I'm fine with losing some efficiency for the sake of balance, as long as I can keep being reasonably productive in my peaceful little instances.:) (I feel like Bob Ross now, "Oh, there's a happy little flower, let's go harvest it.")

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    Dantuin, Numa, Xandra7 and 3 others like this.
  13. psteg

psteg Avatar

No body wins this debate. I get your points, and maybe you get mine. We can only agree to disagree. As far as my being a dev is concerned, it is irrelevant. I do not know what is best. I do know what was offered in the beginning and I took it hook line a sinker. My main belief is there is no such thing as balance. Not in real life and not in games, not anywhere period. By the way that is a pretty cheesy picture you have there. Tells me a lot.

cobran and Xandra7 like this.
  14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

When I read posts about resource spawns in SPO/FPO vs OPO they are all in line with the belief that it's to motivate people to play in OPO.

I have a hard time with the logic.

Thinking from a macro economics perspective. It's about resources fabricated by the server vs resources removed by the server.

If we are gathering too many resources then they need to reduce the abundance. They obviously have the metrics in place to see the major source of resource fabrication.

Cutting SPO/FPO doesn't push us into OPO it at best puts the farming rate closer to on par with OPO.

The question that comes to mind is it a good idea to reduce the abunance or resources. It takes a ton of cotton to make a full set of fustian cloth armor. Repair rates to destroy items isn't all that fast. But enchanting can nuke the item.

Unless they are attempting to push for the need to purchase materials from other players due to low farming rates I don't see the need to lower the abundance.

With the current level of population I'd say it's not a great idea.

15. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I can't agree to disagree - not at all.

The economy is shared between three online modes... that means balance must occur in all three modes for a single economic outcome. Everything affects the economy - loot from all three modes, resources from all three modes, node spawn rates, inflation, rare drops, COTO drops, mats, sinks, etc... everything. Just think about that for a second - think about what the economy actually represents to the game. I know that most people just see that they have to mine thousands of ore or collect thousands of beetles so they can have +42 crafted armor because reasons. Expectations are so far blown out of proportion that fair and reasonable attempts at balance by Portalarium are being met with torches, pitchforks, and threats. Best of luck with your continued protests - just don't be angry about what you get when you win...

Numa and Earl Atogrim von Draken like this.
  16. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

Balance is fine, the changes I read are more along the line of what else can we do to get folk out of SPO and FPO other then closing it down.

17. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

With selective multiplayer it's not so cut and dry.

We have a shared economy buy with selective multiplayer we don't have a shared desire/need to particapate.

If someone can level the skill and craft everything their self. If they can gather their own crafting resources. There is no need to enter the economy.

Is that the intent of the design? Not for me to answer. But the option of never playing as multiplayer, and the option of offline, suggests that is the case.

To date I have never purchased anything from another player. So my only impact on the economy is respawn competition. And if I have only played SPO/FPO my impact is zero.

Don't think forcing people into the global economy is good for people not going into OPO regularly.

Womby and psteg like this.
  18. mass

mass Avatar

I don't have Dev+ so I don't know what it's going to look like in R37. My expectation is that, like on most things, they swing the pendulum too far in the other direction on the first attempt and then slowly back it down to find the balance.

Numa likes this.
  19. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

"To date I have never purchased anything from another player."

...and this is exactly why SPO and Friends modes should be completely divorced from multiplayer. No economic ties whatsoever. Players would then be free to go to SPO and grind and build and harvest and produce and do whatever they like and there it should all remain. All player stats, resources, everything gained in multiplayer should only be relevant in multiplayer... same goes for SPO and Friends modes.

These online modes are already treated like separate games - just unplug the economy and everyone wins.

Preachyr and MrBlight like this.
  20. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

I am not talking about things said in Dev+, I see the information given to all of us, and connecting the dots.

mass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.