Food buffs, only work while out of combat?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by brhanson2, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

ok so we asked for sleeping in beds and it was talked about on a hangout that it would be meaningful in some way. So finally after many releases they made it so our character could lie in the bed but nothing else that was talked about. It has no meaning except we could use it for role-play atm. Anyway you asked so I did check on games that have sleeping that means something in them. ;)

ok this is Skyrim, yeah I know not an MMO type of game but as an example:

Sleeping in any bed, sleeping roll or pile of hay typically grants a temporary passive ability with varying levels and effects. Any length of sleeping will suffice, even a one hour nap.

Beds in houses owned by the Dragonborn provide better bonuses than other beds. Sleeping in a bed in a room that has been rented at an inn also provides better bonuses than other beds.

Effects can be seen on the Active Effects section of the Magic Menu.

Archeage:

Sleeping will gain you a small amount of labor points (80-160 I believe) as well as a buff toward farming I think. You can purchase seedlings to ...
    Minecraft:
    Does sleeping in a bed in minecraft do anything else besides turn night into morning ... This matters more on multiplayer were you could be prevented from completing sleep ....

Final Fantasy 14-

if you logged out by sleeping in the inn bed, when you logged back in - you MIGHT have been treated to a special "dream sequence" cut scene. Sometimes you'd also find random objects under your pillow related to the dream. Usually it was food.

However, at the very end of 1.0, when the servers were no longer saving progress (this lasted for a few weeks) - you woke up to find a RELIC weapon.

This allowed everyone to have a relic during those last few days when mobs were invading the cities. Of course, since this was after the cut-off date for progress. People with Pillow Relics did not get to carry them over to A Realm Reborn.

So sleeping can have its great ideas in games and it depends on how much fun it is. I know Darkstarr said we are not doing it now but I did have hopes for it to be more detailed than lying in a bed ;) Oh well.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I thought I was on to something by selling mine in stacks of 2, 4, 6, and 10 :).

Gix and majoria70 like this.
  3. Gix

Gix Avatar

This is the kind of thing I can agree with; primarily because food can be acquired by other means.

Aside from the dream sequence (as it gives no numerical advantage), I still wonder why you'd need something like this.

Bonuses like Archeage is exactly the kind of thing I'm against. Anyone remotely interested in crafting and participating in the economy would be crazy not to sleep in a bed every single time they'd want to log off... and that becomes a chore.

If you get a bonus for doing your mundane thing, then I want a different bonus for NOT doing it. It's only fair, right?

Where do you sell your wares?

Something tells me you an I will get along just fine.

majoria70 likes this.
  4. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

@Gix Storm's Reach, look for "Slapping Bird" or "Storm Shadow Tavern" near the Town Crier in the center of town.

If you happen to buy whats on my vendor, I have more stockpiled inside - I just need to remove a bunch of stuff from the vendor inventory first.

Gix likes this.
  5. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

So... what is the consensus here? Ignoring the talk about beds and sleeping (because that is a totally different topic), have we heard from Portalarium on this subject? Is food only going to benefit us during "non-combat?" If so, what a shame. The amount of time I have to wait for "non-combat mode" to happen after I sheath my weapon, combined with the horrible amount of time it takes to get a few good glyphs to appear once I get back into "Combat mode" is waaaay too long to keep going back and forth while hunting. The regen rate is good enough outside of combat with no food, that food will just be a waste of time, energy and money. I was going to create a massive amount of food and use/sell it. If it does not work in combat, then forget it. I really do hope this is a bug.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Jamist and MrBlight like this.
  6. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

This needs to change back to how it was. Or remove cooking. :) Once they remove all forms of regen, THEN maybe food will become something worth using again.. until then.. I have not ate anything and do not care or need to.

Nikko likes this.
  8. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

WTF... some of the decisions made in this game's design make me want to just stop playing this game altogether sometimes even after spending the amount I did to back it (and I am a HUGE fan of Garriott's). I know that the game is no where near complete, and in a constant state of flux, but I feel like I might have made a mistake at times. I am getting a little bit surly about cooking now being useless, and recipes for EVERYTHING being purchase or learn (sometimes) from others, only. I'm not sure what to say anymore.

Jamist likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@DarkStarr @Lord British2. @Attenwood @Chris @Lum the Mad @Berek . What is the meaning of food if it is not a daily benefit to us? This is not as talked about in early days, food and sleeping were to matter in this game, why the step back from this? It may sound trivial but the consequences and conditions not being added and implemented in this game is a mistake imo. We eat the food, we have the concept that food will matter, why hold back on implementing a complete system at this point? These are some of the things we discussed and waited for for a long time. Sleeping in beds was going to matter as well as eating was going to matter. They were going to be systems in the game. Different effects from eating food was going to be part of it and sleeping in beds was going to help and be it's own thing as well.

10. mass

mass Avatar

I had always thought that your out of combat regen was higher than in combat, and as a result, in combat regen would be slower than out of combat regen with food, but still better than without food.

Womby and Matt Harris like this.
  11. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Re: Sleep
    As a technical matter, how does one reconcile sleep's passage of time in a multi-player environment? Does a 10 second catnap suffice or do we have to wait out the in-game clock for hours? Can I log off/on to receive the benefit?

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ok well on this thread I will add this video as well. I'm not saying we have to be as detailed but there were plans for food and nutrition of our avatars. I did not make this up and I did not know that a minimalistic attitude for development was going to be implemented into the making of this game. I don't want to lose features and take the easy way out always. I hate that we do that way too often. I know we cannot develop forever but what has to give? Will it be too many things that would make the game. I do not know this for sure, but I am very much questioning this. I also know I don't have a say in it.

13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Noone liked the idea of it being required that you eat food, therefore, due to feedback, there is no penalty for not eating. But the regen boosts out of combat are noticable, as are the long duration stat buffs.

Focus is a limitation. Taking that limitation away negates its existance entirely

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

That's not how I remember it.

15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Initially all regen was going to be reduced to what combat regen is, and being able to regen in a reasonable ammount of time was going to require you to eat.

Folks got upset at the idea of being required to eat, and it is impractical to have super regen rates in combat so the combat regen was left as in, and ooc regen was decreased slightly.

Eating food has a very noticable impact on your recovery time, and provides a good additional stat buff comparable to a good piece of armor

And its going to be expanded on.

Cooking is very far from useless.

16. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Well, I'll say it again... It takes WAAAAAY too long to be "ready" for combat again if I am hunting, and I decide to go out of combat mode, and then back into it. I can't stand the fact that when you are out of combat mode, you wait for 6 or 7 seconds to actually BE out of combat mode, and THEN, when I unsheath and get back into combat mode, I have to effing sit there and wait another 20 or so seconds to have a decent number of glyphs and actually start doing some damage. It drives me nuts.

example:
    I am out of combat mode, skinning a wolf, and trying to regen a bit faster, and then a wolf spawns nearby and surprises me, I sit there for 20 seconds waiting for my "moves" to become available. What is up with that? Even locked spells and moves are not available for 3 to 5 seconds! Why?

Bottom line is that I will never use food until one of two things happen:

1. The waiting is completely removed when you unsheath, sheath, and then unsheath again. (I am sure there is some PVP reason this can never happen)
    OR
    2. The food buff regen of health and focus (or AT LEAST one of the two) happens when unsheathed. (again... I am sure there is some PVP reason this can never happen)

Unless one of these happens, food is of no use to me.

17. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

ALSO! I absolutely HATE the fact that if something hits you, and you were sheathed, you're just automatically thrown into combat mode! NO! What if I don't want to be in combat mode? GRRRRR...

Hornpipe, Stundorn and Lazarus Long like this.
  18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The delay in initiating combat is intended to give advantage to being ready, and disadvantage to being ambushed.

19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The focus regen in-combat used to be noticably higher with even smaller food buffs. I barely use focus in combat so im not sure if thats changed

20. Borg

Borg Avatar

Hovering your mouse over food item, reads " CONSUMABLE OUT OF COMBAT" it doesn't only mean you have to be out of combat to consume it ;) you have to be out of combat to get the regeneration effect, we could expect to have in the future CONSUMABLES IN COMBAT food. You guys tend to forget you are not playing but testing an unfinished game........

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.