Why did I love UO, and am 'meh' about SotA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oyjord Hansen, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

UO had the advantage of unique and first time in a lot of the ideas.
    Honestly theres a couple small features they could add that would make Sota 100% better to me and my group, but its all been suggested already.

Honestly i think its the little things i hope SoTa is putting in that will make this game memorable to me. UO had so many unique things that out-play sota, which in this day nd age is crazy.
    Off top of my head?

Caps creating unique builds.
    Treasure hunting.
    Bulk orders and pure crafting viability.
    Massive world.
    Individualy leveld pets.
    Unique taming / provocation.
    Better node harvest setup.

PvP was fun in Uo but its out dated.
    Objective style, or open arena is fun. ( think shaiya or Daoc ) i hope thats the direction they go for * guild wars * in sota.. which if implemented right could be amazing... but we will see.

Dunno
    I think the first time seeing it is a huge reason UO holds place in your heart. It also aged pretty well. But Sota needs to habe that solid game with unique features to have that same feel. We will see.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2017
    K1000, psteg, Numa and 7 others like this.
  2. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Uo once in a life time game.

3. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Not sure if you played UO at the very beginning, but it was very "meh". There wasn't much to do besides get griefed. Eventually, the game flowered into what we all revere today. I see that happening ^10 with Sota. I mean its not even out of beta and we have arties! Hang in there!

Numa, Deathadder, SmokerKGB and 2 others like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Maybe I'm alone in this but I think SotA is better.

5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Take every game ive ever played combined and uo is better, but sota looks nicer and is way more modern. Cant w8 to see it 10 years from now.

Budner, Leelu, Hornpipe and 1 other person like this.
  6. Araminus

Araminus Avatar

It's most likely nostalgia. Maybe you have moved on with life and thus time/attitude/needs regarding gaming and thus....

7. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

You forget, UO is a Richard Gariott game, which means people will be enjoying it for all time.

You'll always be able to go there and fill yer boots, as it were!

Black Tortoise and Leelu like this.
  8. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

It's actually came closer to UO every last release.. I still hope it gets there. However the biggest issue the alignment system isn't in yet. Virtue and Anti Virtue plays no role yet. I think most of us expected the game to be more UOesque earlier in development. I have to admit that I enjoy the game more with every release, but I also have to say that I would be long gone if I hadn't pledged so high.

9. mercster

mercster Avatar

UO wasn't even that great. It was just under-engineered enough to allow for some early "sandbox" gameplay. Wouldn't fly today, wouldn't fly with you today.

Barugon likes this.
  10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

And reading this thread proves one thing agaib: People don't understand SotA.
    This is not UO 2 and this is not a MMORPG. It is a Selective Multiplayer RPG that also wants to offer a single player experience and a single player narrative.
    Why don't people understand this and keep comparing SotA to UO and other MMORPGs?

This comparison pushes the game away further and further from becoming the unique game that was originally announced and instead make it into a run-of-the-mill MMORPG no one needs...

Black Tortoise, Xandra7, mass and 2 others like this.
  11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

IMO UO set the standard in sandbox though. Yes it is a 2d isometric game with bad graphics. That is not what I liked about the game anyway. It was the freedom to pretty much do what ever you wanted in an open world. I still think about going back to it every day. @Lord_Darkmoon I do understand your point. One thing is that Starr and Richard actively went to the UO shards and pitched this game from inside UO telling them this game would be like UO. Many believed it and also believed it from the kickstarter as it was mentioned there also. I have not played in awhile so I hope that @Vallo Frostbane is correct when he says it is getting more and more closer to UO now. One thing that will have to happen is there will have to be a felucca in order for that to happen. A man needs an unrestricted sandbox to play in.

12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I understand, yet they also said that this wasn't UO 2 and that is was not a MMORPG. On the Kickstarter website the term MMORPG is just mentioned once when they explain that SotA will NOT be a MMORPG.
    So this whole confusion is self-made. Obvioulsy the devs wanted everything. They wanted to reach the UO players, they wanted to reach the single-player fans, they wanted to reach MMORPG players and those who don't like MMORPGs.... And in the end we now have a game that somehow won't satisfy everyone... It is not UO 2, it is no single-player RPG, and it isn't a MMORPG either...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

correct. In this game I really wanted single player online to work. It would allow me to be the avatar, without being one of the many avatars running around. It would have the persistence of an online world with vendors and such also. But as it stands I do not believe it is possible. Sure you can farm and collect but there is no way you can do anything on the top end alone, which is just sad. The modes should be playable through all content, and scaled for each mode. Right now as you pointed out, and you are exactly right, they are just playing for the mmorpg cash cow with little interest in the single player aspect of the game. The only time I ever wanted to come out of single player was to pvp really. Other than that I would have been hiding away in my lich kingdom locked away from the rest of the world.

14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Yes, you are probably right. Maybe I did come across really aggressive to him. I think it is my nature when I feel I am being attacked, if they bite, I bite back. It seems on these forums they only muzzle the ones that are on the dissent side of the argument though so you have to put some teeth into your debate. I think in some ways people design their posts for a knee jerk reaction. Anyhow, I will take this opportunity to apologize if I offended anyone.

15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Trammel made UO perfect!

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You know I loved UO as much as many, but for me it was a new experience as a gamer and an opportunity to socialize and have fun. The world allowed for so much exploration and choices. I loved that I could go talk a dumb NPC into coming with me on a journey and the whole time he would whine and carry on and be afraid for his life. This was a fantastic guild quest to try to keep your NPC alive. I would love things like this in Shrouds. I want our NPCs to be more alive and the guards to be running to your aid or kicking you out of town if you steal or at least something.

I do really love that our NPCs finally do something though such as calling out yoohoo and acting out and I know more is coming on this. I totally agree that Shrouds is not fully developed and in a very young game state. We just need to keep voicing what we like and don't like for the game to grow and develop in many fun ways . I say to all those of you who are disheartened and giving up or want to, well go ahead and just come back later to see the game more mature, or stay and help get us more fun stuff added. It is totally up to you. What we need is ideas, not crazy naysayers stating nothing can come of this game. OMG give me a break. Give the game a chance, or wait it out. You will not believe what is coming and if we spend all our time with putting it down, then whose ideas are gonna get heard.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  17. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

It's four years since the Kickstarter. Are people really "crazy naysayers" at this time if they wonder if we'll ever get past this, "It'll get better..." or "Give us some ideas..." stage? Personally, I think they're entitled.

18. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

This thread is a perfect example of the frustration many feel with a Kickstarter project. A good analogy are abstract images where people see different objects. No one is right or wrong the image subject is based upon perspective.

Lets state the obvious, if anyone doesn't agree with the "obvious" well I can't help you ignore my post.

1) Shroud isn't UO and will never be UO. UO is UO.

2) Shroud has a very strong influence of Richard Garriott in its design.

3) UO has been released for decades. Shroud has been in development for several years.

Logic to me would dictate in time the Richard Garriott influence will increase in Shroud, likely far more than the influence was in UO. The problem is some in the community want everything now. Clearly content is coming in much faster now that the framework of the game is in place. Secret rooms, functional objects, virtues, lore, are all coming into Shroud at a much faster pace.

PVP has been another contention. A PVP dungeon is planned.

Fast travel has been debated endlessly. I actually would love to see UO style travel in Shroud. Moongates are around and scrolls exist but they are limited. Perhaps in time we will have more bind points allowed, probably via the add on store, but the bills need paid.

Combat, in my view, still needs a lot of work. Hoping this continues to get attention. Combat should feel natural and smooth. Flawless Targeting Locking would solve many of the problems, but I trust the Developers to eventually get combat right.

In closing some in this community continually complain and fail to provide constructive feedback or anything positive. Complaints are fine, but do so constructively. When challenged some resort to name calling and complaining of forum bias. My original post in this thread was 100% on point and stated a valid opinion on the topic. I get attacked. I respond with humor. I get attacked the moderation is attacked. I ignore the bait. Continued personal attacks. I try another very constructive on topic post...

19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

No need to get all riled up ;). I think what made uo epic to alot of people was the sandbox each person had a diffrent expiernece depending on what end of the sandbox they played it. You could do just about everything in uo, this game also plans to be a sandbox and I hope someday more is in where it can be one truley.

When I speak of UO I speak of the unlimted sandbox, the skill gain system moongates, mark and recall and fishing and treasure hunting and a open worlder but thats not doable anymore. Im not a quester and could careless about any story feature.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  20. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Funny still going at a profitable rate. Going into it's 20th year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.