Why did I love UO, and am 'meh' about SotA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oyjord Hansen, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

No hate brother, enjoy ur ban..

Budner, GrayFog, Thwip and 1 other person like this.
  2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Nothing wrong in bringing back what worked in the past, and improve the things that did not.

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yup, uo did alot of amazing stuff as did wow and gw2.

Steal everything good imop,.no need to reinvent the wheel on the awesome stuff.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  4. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Correct, unless someone of the right age was bleeding edge and played Meridian 59, chances are 9/10 that UO would have been their first. And your first anything is always something you remember.

Ice Queen likes this.
  5. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

UO not that great a game?!? WOW no sir! It's still a way better game than SotA. Most of us are still here hoping that SotA can be 75% of what UO was. If I didn't have that hope I'd just go back to playing UO! To say you're just a bit confused would be the understatement of the year bud!

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Arguments about which game is better are a bit ridiculous.

7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I came to despise UO. UO was a wonderful but flawed concept.

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I absolutely Love UO. But its not for the meek, that is for sure.

Brass Knuckles, Budner and Ice Queen like this.
  9. mercster

mercster Avatar

I loved UO; and I never actually played after they did the whole Felucca/whatever split (sorry I don't remember the names used), I played starting at launch for a couple years. I'm not downing UO or anyone who worked on it. All I'm saying is, I am sure they were as surprised as anyone by the success. I'm sure they were also surprised with the emergent gameplay that players created on their own (I have heard LB say as such). UO was just under-engineered enough to allow for a big ol' "blank slate", if you will, that players really took advantage of in creative ways.

Would I want to play it nowadays? No. I can look past the nostalgia and identify a whole slew of things about UO that, as a video gamer in 2017, I would not want to put up with nowadays. I think SOTA is a great game and in many ways a spiritual successor, even if you could name 420 things that are different about the two projects. It's more about the atmosphere and feeling than specific gameplay mechanics.

10. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

I am hoping SoTA will be great. It's all we can do - hope. The same folks who brought us a game we loved (UO) are bringing this one as well.

So let's give them a little room to work, and time will tell whether or not we wasted our money. Seems simple enough, and realistic :)

In the mean time, let's enjoy the game together.

mercster likes this.
  11. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I think the reason UO is used as reference so much is simply becasue it was a RG game.
    I think its perfectly fine to compare the 2 games together for this reason. Whether its not a successor, or it is, it doesnt change the fact they are both MMO's that were largly produced by RG.

Theres great things from TR that i wish were in SOTA as well. Unfortunatly i didn't get as much time in TR due to it failing, so its easier to make comparisons from UO.

I agree theres no point in argueing which game is / was better.
    What we SHOULD be doing, its picking apart the mechanics in UO, TR and other games, that can realistically be put into SOTA to make it better.
    It really doesnt matter if SOTA is UO's successor or not, it really doesnt matter if UO is better ( still ) or not then SOTA.

What we should be doing is comparing specifics. Things UO did properly that would fit good in SOTA. Things GW, GW2, WoW, all the fun stuff they did that should be in this game

Honestly what i miss from UO
    Freedom of mining/cutting trees and sheer crafting 100%. Bulk order deeds etc etc
    God i miss the treasure hunting.

Vallo Frostbane likes this.
  12. Black Death

Black Death Avatar

that was dumb to make 3 game modes no wonder it lags me to death... u need to consolidate the population..

13. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Weeeeeell, that's a bit of a long bow to draw because Raph Koster, its designer, isn't here. And I would argue with anyone, anytime, that he was the most important piece in the UO puzzle.

So you're quite right to say we have people here who were involved with UO. Absolutely. No debate there. But the guy who really made UO feel the way it did and designed it, isn't with us.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Grayhawk and Ice Queen like this.
  14. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Lets hope they learned enough from him. We will get great Lore from @LordBritish and I am sure @Chris will do his best to make the best PvPvE sandbox ever :)

Bow Vale likes this.
  15. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

There are Shards Online/Legends Of Aria for pure UO experience seekers.
    SOTA atm is totally different beast, but not as tasty as many of us had hoped.
    I quit active playing since R36 due to heavy focus on grinding.
    Core mechanics begs for changes, and P2W themepark aspects just makes it worse.
    It is what it is...
    Hope that some day SOTA will get better. Just can't see it in near future.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Grayhawk and Ice Queen like this.
  16. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

I agree up to a point. For all its problems, UO had a charm, a "realness" that wasn't ever matched again. I played some great private T2A shards in recent years (no mounts, but with some added systems to curve reds) and it was more "real", more intense than any other MMO i've played between them. SotA is the only modern game that was able to recreate (to a degree) that same feeling of "realness" for me.

Also, going back in time is not always a bad thing. For one, it can offer a chance to de-tint those rose-glasses, but sometimes old games really WERE better in many aspects. An example, after playing way too many piss-easy modern games I wondered "did I just get better at gaming or are these new games just way too easy"? Obviously I got a lot better over the years but went back to the first and second Zelda and had a MUCH harder (and fun challenging) time than playing any modern Zelda.... anyway i'm just rambling now but food for thought :p

17. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Right on.

18. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Zapatos80 ,

I think there were major problems with UO, and a few with some of the Ultima games, but modern games have fixed them in the wrong ways. Often in very lazy ways.

And for whatever issues old games have, you can still have as much fun with them as you did back in the day... and modern games tend have their own issues and problems.

Snikorts and Budner like this.
  19. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

I would call them safe fixes. Devs just don't want to take risks when millions of $$$ are on the stake.
    Sadly event Kicstarter projects fail at this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.