Why did I love UO, and am 'meh' about SotA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oyjord Hansen, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The NGE happened because of pressure from Lucas Arts... It would not have happened if not for them.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  2. Shanna

Shanna Avatar

Agreed, as a UO lover. I'm only two days into playing SotA (after briefly checking it out about two years ago,) and I am feeling the same way. I'm really not liking the 'overland' system of traveling between areas. I've searched my magic tree, and don't see any ability (yet) to gain the recall spell. The prefab houses aren't nearly as fun to customize as back-in-the-day, and that's my biggest complaint. I was very much looking forward to finding my plot of land, and building from the ground-up as I gained the gold.

I've played just about every major MMORPG since Ultima, trying to recapture that feeling of my first love. I'm worried this attempt is going to be as disappointing as my LOTRO and ESO explorations were.

Ice Queen and Architect like this.
  3. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Id suggest to be able to level all... just actively only have like 10 or so...

Architect likes this.
  4. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Skills could be switched on and off at trainers.

Brass Knuckles and Architect like this.
  5. Sargon

Sargon Avatar

Whatever you may think of SotA, good or bad, I wouldn't pin your hopes on "10 years from now". Enjoy the game for what it is now, or what it will be in the near future, but realize that it isn't a foregone conclusion that SotA will be significantly better in 3, 5, or 10 years. SotA is not UO and the market for MMO's is much more challenging now than it was, so the chances of SotA still being around in 10 years are probably slim. Sure there will still be many small improvements in the coming months, but in the big picture I think what we see is basically what we are going to get. If you like it now, you will probably like it a little more. If you hate it now, it probably doesn't matter how far you look into the future, you still won't like it.

6. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

My anecdotal first hand experience for the cause of NGE was the SWG community. So many in the community continually complained about a lack of content, poor glitchy graphics, lack of PVP, bad design decisions, broken quests, and several other issues mirroring what I hear now in Shroud of the Avatar.

There were mass exodus of people from SWG, including a 200+ person guild where I was a member. They all moved on to DAOC for better PVP.

Smedley was reactionary to the actions of the community. He tried to turn SWG into a themepark rather than a sandbox because so many MMO gamers then and now can't handle a sandbox. They need created content to consume.

I played SWG from Beta until NGE release.

Numa and Autumn Willow like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome shanna and check your bank for a few that should have been given to you. You can right click them after you bind to a town or lot to recall or teleport to a friend on your friends list by right clicking the teleport one. You need to be in the same mode tho. Like multi player or friends online both of you. You can also drag the scrolls to your non combat bar to click them here. There is a recipe to make more of these scrolls from the alchemy table which you can purchase I believe in npc towns like owlshead which is behind the trainer in a building. Recipes are mostly $250 some are more and some recipes can be traded from other players and found throughout the world. I am Majoria in game if I can ever help you. Talk to a town crier to bind to a town or mention it in these forums or with other players if you want to bind in a player owned town. You are always welcome in Wizards Rest. *cheers*

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Numa and shanna like this.
  8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Don't panic, she means 250 gold!

shanna likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol yes ty Vladamir in game gold. I have a bad habit of saying it wrong ;)

10. Shanna

Shanna Avatar

Hi, and thanks for the feedback! I received the reward scrolls, and I'm going to work on my alchemy to craft them. I was referencing my dislike for having to craft/buy scrolls, as opposed to being able to use a magic skill to recall to different markers.

Stundorn and majoria70 like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

yes true I understand. My favorite thing in UO was runebooks and marking spots to go back to. It is truly different in this game. *sighs* ;).

Numa and Brass Knuckles like this.
  12. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I just want access to my whole spellbook at any time, filling it a scroll at a time.

shanna and Brass Knuckles like this.
  13. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

The problem about NGE was that it was dropped with no warning whatsoever (and that it was dropped in a buggy manner :D). Alienating existing players in an attempt to attract a newer bunch of players.

I think SOE also tried to downplay criticism by saying that it was just a minority of naysayers.

14. mass

mass Avatar

Sorry for 'late to thread'. I still get people to play Katamari Damacy with me. It's worth it just to read the King of All Cosmos dialog in a pretentious accent.

15. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Glad to see some community members understood what they said and what they are doing with SotA.

Spiritual successor is not the same as "we are making a UO2". It's not too hard to get this idea.

It's hilarious to see still some guys trying to prove that Portalarium said once they were doing a new UO. And they will keep saying the same forever, even for the next Richard videogame, ha!

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

One cannot argue religious conviction with facts and logic.

2112Starman and Rada Torment like this.
  17. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Maybe they should tell that to their official marketing partner Markee Dragon who openly adverts the game as uo2 on youtube twitch etc...

Also still check my sig. UO is and will always be the game this game will be compared to. Maybe some wanted a clone... I wanted an iteration of it. Which they are moving towards to, and ppl seem to like it.

Ice Queen, Quenton and Koldar like this.
  18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Honestly as long as its fun idc what they call it.

It needs some work still and fun is subjective I know but the drop rate is about the same as dragon neckbones atm. Just poking fun there is some fun to be found but work needs to be done still. Crafting is deep but not fun at all, pvp the fun isnt added yet and though I love the idea of a use based skill system there are holes in its current implimation of it.

Vallo Frostbane likes this.
  19. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Yep, sometimes people forget the key of games; fun factor.

:confused: <- this is my face when I see someone talking about UO like they should be obliged to make a new UO, or UO2.

Richard, you made Ultimas, you must be doing the same for the rest of your life! :D

Innascual Inch and Sir Cabirus like this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, spiritual successor was to Ultima as much as UO :) The fact is that the devs were trying to make a multiplayer Ultima with UO and always thought some things didn't work out quite as they expected. They didn't expect the high amount of griefing for instance. So some of the mechanics in SotA are to compensate for some of that.

Still SotA was supposed to return to the idea of a 'Multima' and in some ways it currently falls short and feels like a theme park mmo, and nothing wrong with pushing for improvement and holding devs feet to the fire as long as you understand what their goals are, are realistic, and constructive. UO fans should also understand what SP Ultima players are looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.