Why did I love UO, and am 'meh' about SotA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oyjord Hansen, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Since we go more in an UO direction it is getting better and better. The larping direction alienated most of the playerbase. Story and sandbox dont cancel each other out. very limited player interaction + POTs for cash and sandbox do.. that was their problem.

I think you even have more than a dozen people playing the single player offline at all right now ^^

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Brass Knuckles and Bow Vale like this.
  2. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Sorry Sir, I don't get what you mean. However - I think I have said everything that needs to be said about this topic and I have no interest in an everlasting dialogue with endless repeating. So I wish you a good day :)

Ice Queen and Sir Frank like this.
  3. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I know facts are a bummer :(

Ice Queen likes this.
  4. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

It's me or threads are getting deleted?

5. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Yes, because they are off-topic. Posters have been notified. Please continue with the main topic.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  6. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Every day the same... It is sad.

Instead of openly moderating and talking about the issues, deleting an opinion or comment just leads to people getting emotional and things go down from there.

Ice Queen, Kaisa and Blackghost like this.
  7. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

As I've just said, we do not delete just opinions, it was a derailing comment, that is all... much like the direction this thread is going in right now. Let's bring this back on topic. Please please do PM me if you have any questions or concerns. Very few actual do, which is a shame, because I will respond if you do!

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  8. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

That is one more reason why SoTa is meh.
    Which is part of this topic.

Ice Queen likes this.
  9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Well UO ended up with I suppose an unofficial forum.....that kind of helped matters.

10. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I hope in this years Gamescom @Berek shows up and I can have a talk with him face to face... I hope he likes german beer and I can convince him to ease the rules here.
    Like I in closed threads before, there seems to be no presence of our community and the direction the game has taken so far (more risk vs reward, PVP happening!) outside of the forums and the game itself.

When I showed my video to some old online friends that backed this, they didn't even know that singleplayer online in shardfalls is long gone.

11. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Ill stop reading now. :) This is pretty much it.

12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I missed @Budner s post ur right, but like I said uo was once in a life time game and if you actually played it you understand.

Making it and playing it are two diffrent things. Kinda like sota no offense to our devs they do try and I like them but I am pretty sure my 4000 or 5000+ hours played might be more than the whole team has in (pure speculation I know).

13. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I played Star Wars Galaxies right after and was a little letdown bc I was so used to the awesomeness of UO. Looking back, that was probably the second best MMO II'veever played.

I really think it is simply based on your personality type. Now days they just make games to appeal to a broad, boring audience. Because, unfortunately, there are a lot of boring people in the world. :p

Edit: The reason I backed SotA was for the hope that these guys realized that and tried something completely different; tried to break the mould. That didnt happen. I would have rather it failed trying than see the same ol' same ol' eeked out on a low budget.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  14. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I can see some of it moving more towards UO... although awfully slow ^^

15. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Blake,

I disagree with you. I too was in SWG at the beginning. Many of the complaints I find now in Shroud were quite similar to those I witnessed in SWG. In time, if the Developers continue their magic and the community is patient, Shroud of the Avatar will become an incredible game.

There is most definitely gold mixed in with all of the sewage. Each iteration more gold is extracted.

A true shame those old SWG forums no longer exist to prove my point. I just hope Shroud doesn't devolve into NGE SWG.

16. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Well, I hope I'm wrong. Seriously. They'll need to work on the grind for sure(cant kill anymore bears) - tip of the iceberg.

17. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

NGE happened because of a dev thinking he knows better than the players, what is fun and what not ;) When the service shut down he still blamed the players. Everquest NEXT is made by him. Avoid at all cost. F... YOU SMEDLEY! Never forget! ;)... even though I think he apologized later...

18. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Good nugget of wisdom in this statement.

Ice Queen and Koldar like this.
  19. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I just wanted to point out, that I'm actually playing UO and SotA at the same time right now.

A little decorating there, a little decorating here.. a little vendor stocking there, a little vendor stocking here..

Just saying is all

strabo likes this.
  20. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I met Berek last year in Austin, along with Richard Garriott, Starr Long and some other important people. Actually Berek is a very nice guy - but he is doomed to do his job here ;) I can understand that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.