Why did I love UO, and am 'meh' about SotA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oyjord Hansen, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Exactly. UO lacked in an idea on how to reward "blue" players. I was hoping that this game brings alignment and karma to a new level.. So far chaos and virtue are meaningless to me ingame, and we will see how it goes with anti virtue ;)

Ice Queen, Sir_Michael and Barugon like this.
  2. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

True but uo was fun, I really think if they were having a blast ud not be hearing the Uo coments.

Ice Queen and Vallo Frostbane like this.
  3. mass

mass Avatar

From his perspective, SotA's iteration on the ability to speculate on virtual goods for real money is a giant leap forward in game development, upgrading him from 'banned player' to 'trusted trader' making this the best UO2 evar! :)

Seriously, though, I think one of the hallmarks of this devteam's past is innovation. I continue to look forward to the ways that the devs will combine features or create new features to move the genre forward. Personally, I'm underwhelmed at their attempt at combat, but remain hopeful about their ability to integrate story and consequence in a selective multiplayer environment, their ability to create a deep and satisfying crafting system, and their ability to create a detailed world that is exciting to explore. I think there's lot's that you could criticize from the information available at kickstarter, but I don't think anyone could read that description at the beginning and think that this game wouldn't be somewhat unique from all previous 'Ultimas'. I think a lot of people filtered out what they didn't want to hear or filled in vagueness with what they wanted (I know I did that some).

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Not for everyone.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  5. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Even if I consider myself more UO player than Ultima rpgs, you got the point. This is exactly what those UO hardcore fans need understand and accept.

Stundorn and Sir Cabirus like this.
  6. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

True but story will always come to be completed last. I see very little constructive feedback on how they could implement more interesting quests tbh.

The Unwanted likes this.
  7. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

I would like to see hirelings be involved in questing. It would help single player (online) defeat higher level (quest) bosses. This would entail making more quests but it would help cater to the single player demographic.

8. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

At the end of the tunnel we maybe have things in common :D

No doubt, this game needs more tools, made by devs for players, and + sandbox feature. There are thousands of good ideas and things I'm sure they are able to bring. Same with quests, is not all about add more generic quests in game, is about make them fun, original and open to decide how we want complete these quests (virtue decisions for example).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its not just the story.... but also gameplay. So to be honest, some UO players expect nothing in terms of PvE gameplay but grinding and socializing, and maybe sandbox home deco, because that's all UO ever had. But the single-player games had richer gameplay and its one of the reasons immersion is really important to sp fans, for realizing the type of gameplay they're looking for.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Sure but when I think back on it, it wasn't more fun than SotA (even in its unfinished state, I think SotA Is better). The thing that SotA Is missing is more people, and that won't happen until episode one is complete.

11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Well uo had the place anywhere housing that I found amazing, I can make do with the instanced housing esp if they add more stuff that makes housing good. At the moment I dont even use my lots, they are kinda pointless for now. Uo also had a nice use to level skill system but really what I missed was how that system played into skills. For example fishing you fished to get better at fishing it took a while and once you hit skill thresholds you were able to do more stuff better sos bottles, treasure maps thats scaled based off the level you fished up based on ur fishing level, rare fishing items.

I know fishing isnt implimented yet and prob a bad example but for me to fish and gain fishing skill in this game I have to spend time in the mine or chopping wood etc. Thats terrible I should fish to get better at fishing.

strabo, Ice Queen, shanna and 2 others like this.
  12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Point? Or are you not refering to the subjective part. Stay on topic please no need to counter my thoughts and pick individual pieces out.

Ice Queen likes this.
  13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

True but people also need to want to play. Ive pulled 10 people into sota and 9 quit and 1 promised to try at release so 10 out of 10 arnt playing atm.

I like this game but for others to like it things need to be done.

Ice Queen and Oyjord Hansen like this.
  14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

There were a great number of people that did NOT find Ultima Online to be Fun. So many in fact that they felt moved to split the game into Felucca and Trammel to preserve the title and stop the bleeding.

Sir Cabirus and 2112Starman like this.
  15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Not interested in debating you about the coolness or lack of coolness. Some people like coco puffs some dont, the bigger i issue is whats wrong with sota and retention. The numbers should be ramping up esp as we close into launch but my friends list is just people who are offline.

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They are being done, and doing those things takes time.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Aye over a month ago we hit the last 20% so the next 15% needs to be amazing if u want this before retail.

Believe me you dont have to sell me on the game im $5000 invested I want it to be epic. Mabey instead sell those who claim to have a bad exp with it or rage on steam & redit and several other sites.

It would be ignorant to ignore these and I doubt portal wants to hear its all perfect when there are a few issues.

Rose colored glasses dont do ya any good if ur standing in poop.- no idea what that means but sounded funny and had poop in it :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Ice Queen likes this.
  18. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

Might want to replace that pair of Rose-Tinted Shades, OP. :)

Look at Shroud as it's own game. It's built in the spirit of Ultima, yes, but it's not an Ultima game. A change in perspective is ultimately what caused me to fall in love with this game.

As for meeting up with your brother, it's definitely more clunky than UO's Mark/Recall system, but we *do* have teleport and recall scrolls. It's not perfect, but it's fast travel, and you get to see more of the beautiful world that Portalarium built, which I know is not really any consolation to the fast travel woes, but if you just take some time to take in the scenery it's quite breathtaking.

Brass Knuckles and Barugon like this.
  19. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

And they want to release this year..

Ice Queen and Sir Cabirus like this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. If they don't officially release episode one before the end of the year, I'm certainly not going to get upset about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.