Is SotA casual friendly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I am more and more desperated, don't login anymore or just for an hour, because i feel no progress anymore.
    Adv. Level 63 and some of you know what my problems are as a full mage who restricts himself because of Roleplaying and Immersion/ Character Identifikation.

I tried a lot, nothing help me or it just didnt make fun.
    I am stuck, the death penalty mostly hits casual gamers.

There seems just one way to play this game. Search a scene which grants you gold or xp and then grind.
    I cannot do both. No, i can in 2 scenes and it's boring as hell.

I am really desperated i have more hours in this game than all RPG in 10 years together.

I was always trying to find my way fighting so and have something i can say Yeah i made x gold or yes i leveled this spell to level z.
    Nothing.
    Not possible.
    Maybe i am doing it all wrong, then i should just quit the game, because this is my way to play roleplaygames.

There is nothing that lets me feel i am developing or becoming better or something like that. All what i am doing is making compromises.
    Crafting is something i dont want to touch, how if you cannot mine.
    Now you can say then do this or that and you can, but what if this style of character doesnt make fun to me, what if i want to be able to do this as a mage in cloth and not in chainmail with a shield or a bow?

I played 2 hrs trying all i knew about the game and with many tips and advices from the forum to fight sone t4 skelletons. Ok works, made a few thousand xp, 600 Gold of rusty shady crap and then i made a mistake and died. All xp gone. Minus xp.

No progress if you dont grind?
    How many hours i should do the same and repeat it?
    Punishing casual players for playing less?

I really want to play the game, but it seems impossible.

Then i was invited to K'rul. Was there already did my Job as a healer, just healing, it's fine like it, but after 2h it's enough for me.
    No loot, xp didnt raise significant, 1 spell raised from 79 to 80.
    First healing spell 80.

So, i have 2 skills at 80 playing since August 2016.

If i think of the passives or that a skill from 80 to 100 needs the same amount of xp to get to 100 i ask myself how can i ever do that.

I am seroiusly thinking of just let it be.
    This game is not just not casual friendly.

There is no reward for anything.
    Oh wait the Helly Bandits are, wow.

Something else? Maybe, but then i cant go there, because it just doesnt work for me.

I know its so easy, you all do it and grind your way to t5, the Rise and other Dungeons.
    I seems i just can't do it.

I really begin to dislike the game.:(
    I do not have any Motivation anymore to grind without the feeling i can do something, can make money or able to fight a t5 scene to grind xp.

Yes, i am so far that i am willing to grind a bit, but there is no flow, no positive feedback while doing this and one mistake and everything you worked on is gone (xp).

2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

It has been a design choice that players level until they reach their own level of incompetence... hence die more than they can gain XP. Even hits you harder when you have not much time available, because decay is only applied once every 12 to 24 hours or so.

I think though you just leveled something that is just not working out.
    Almost every tree needs a re-balance, and the resistance patch really made id hard for mages to level, if you don't know the right areas.
    Maybe you should check back at a later time when the test phase is over.

I had to rebuild a new char basically and change my play-style with EVERY release.
    Of course you never have to build from scratch... but sometimes whole schools were rendered useless, in comparison how they worked before.

Overall though I'd say it is very casual friendly.
    You don't have to compete with other players. Resources and XP are available for you.
    You can get mentored to GM very fast.
    You can get endgame gear right from the start, provided you have friends that give that to you.

The problem is there is no real advantage for guilds to do all that... it is just out of boredom or goodwill ;)
    Would there be competition to get the best equipped and loyal members to do anything in the game... Raids in PvPvE or War for example...
    Things could be different, as the possibilities are all there.

A lot of similarities to EvE in that regard.

hroth, nonaware and Bow Vale like this.
  3. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

SotA is not casual friendly for those of us who like having the multi player option available, but prefer playing solo.

GraveDncer, Ice Queen, cobran and 2 others like this.
  4. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Sorry, slight derailment...

You have changed your profile picture...the other was so much better, friendly yet dangerous. Suited you perfectly....bring it back....:)

5. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Negan has served it purpose. What is up to come will be much much better xD

Solazur and Bow Vale like this.
  6. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Dear @Stundorn,

while reading I remembered my own feelings about doing things like this or this.

My favorite was a Paladin. To use magic and a weapon - so I decided for a pole and shield.
    First time I tried a lot without weapons! It is - I would say - the hardest way you can take at the moment.
    May be there is a need of spell adjustment, because for REAL mages with cloth or leather and without any weapon.
    What about a +XX bonus for spell effectiveness?

I shared my thoughts of this in an actual thread - and there I also talk about the decay system:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...skills-chaos-and-questbook.82778/#post-772827

At the moment the decay system is taking a lot of fun for me, because as you said too, you do a lot of time for - nothing ...

I really hope, there will be a better way, the developers make small changes, as I suggested in my thread :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  7. Vidgrip

Vidgrip Avatar

I feel your pain. My play style and philosophy is similar to yours, but I have not yet hit the wall as you have. My only comment regards crafting, which you imply can't be done without mining. I just buy silver from player merchants to raise my master working. It bothered me at first, as I enjoy gathering resources, but I got over it. Now I enjoy the hunt for a good bargain on silver ingots. It gives me a reason to travel and visit lots of towns. I listen to my guild mates cry about how boring mining is and now realize that mining is a feature I am happy to skip. I do hope you find a way forward that you enjoy.

8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Can you explain, i didnt get what you want say. (maybe bco language)

@Sir_Michael yes read it before and then post this :p

Always doomed, i am talented to allways choose the worst.
    Problem is (1st world problem ofc) i then fall in love with the character and dont want "easy mode" compromises and beginn to torment myself.

Just thought over a Samurai/ Ronin/ Ninja build, but Spoon told me about blades and fire combos and such and i really thought over if it's possible for me to build what i would like, also and important to be satisfied about RP with this char.
    I came to the conclusion it's not possible.
    Also with Pole and Ice or a bow it's not what i would exactly want and like.

I already made compromises and tryed out to get over it, but i am limitting myself but for very good cause, my fun to play.

So it comes to a level i really think it's over.
    What is fun to me and what i am able to do seems not possible to do and is not enough to play this game.

I think i have to run into Twins falls (opposite side of the world from my home) to grind for Month and then i am sometime ready for more, if not nerfed.

I just have no fun and Motivation to do this.

One thing about it all is to live in Drachvald and that i just cannot do what i want. Spindrift Passage, Collect Obsidian Chips to level some chaosmagic, PvP (makes no sense with my attitude about my char and grinding and gaming etc...) or having varied scenes with good reward of loot, gold and xp.

Thanks for replys.

9. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

I think hitting a wall is a matter of perspective in this situation. If you're currently only around 60th level, you are no where near the point where a wall should even be seen.

Imagine Sota as a large sandbox, a brave new world where you create your own story and adventure, a world without artificial barriers. This is a world with no limits to advancement, and no artificial barriers to who you can adventure with and where you can go. You never out level content in this game like you do in theme park games. You can gather cotton and make tailoring items for years without ever leaving 1 and 2 skull zones if you choose. You could even become a grand master tailor doing this. No one is forcing impossible content upon you, or forcing you to take risks.

The death penalty in this game is actually fairly tame. Most people can make back all the lost exp from death in a few minutes. Even in the 90's where you've had time to accumulate a lot of experience, you can go grind a death loss off in 30 minutes or less. There is a point where it would be like a wall, but it would be after hundreds of millions of experience.

If you take less risks while solo, you can almost only move forward. You can collect your 500 gold each day from the oracle, and sell your spoils. You can talk to hundreds of town criers for 100 gold each, or even do delivery quests. When you do join others to do more difficult content, you'll probably make out very well in experience too.

Have you considered going on an adventure with a more experienced guild mate or friend? That will certainly help break the wall down too.

Some people have trouble with sand box games, because they're used to being led. You have to embrace your freedoms and create your own adventure and goals sometimes. It's not for everyone, but some players wouldn't want it any other way.

redfish, Rhiannon and Innascual Inch like this.
  10. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

I wanted to post something alot longer, but it simply sucks for you Stundorn. I would simply wait for alot of content to get ingame if you don't feel like grinding, cause there's not a whole lot to do differently out there :) Of course you can socialize, fish or whatever, but come on even the worst online games have this function :)

Lord Baldrith and Stundorn like this.
  11. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

No... it's a heavy grind game, and promotes partying and heavy studying of gear and deck building. I would say it's definitely not casual friendly. Which is why I wanted to play it. Feels more old school to me.

Chatele likes this.
  12. Graynight

Graynight Avatar

Sure it is, if you want it to be.

The game itself does not require anything for you. It is your choice if you want to grind or not.

13. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

From another perspective:
    I'm about as casual a player (couple times a week) as you'll find and I'm still enjoying the game since R1. First, I avoid looking at numbers. Second, I don't compare myself to others. I don't solo but always play as a pair with my wife in multiplayer. We're finally able to survive for a little while in 5 skull scenes. I don't mind the slow progress because it means that I've always got another rung to climb and another success on the way (we just defeated our first Obsidian Bear!) Be assured, I am making noticeable progress. I gather, craft, battle NPCs but I never feel it is a grind.

On the other hand, I'm sure my perspective differs from most players here. I'm not a gamer, although I've been playing games since Zork and Pong and Space Wars, basically all my adult life. I say I'm not a gamer because I don't read the game sites, don't know what's hot, go months (or years) without playing anything, and never play more than one thing at a time. Mario games are too hard on my hands and I was brick-walled by Zelda because I didn't have the manual dexterity to complete a puzzle. Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Mario Cart, Arkham Asylum - 10-15 attempts to get through the initial battles and gave up. Lego games are fun.

So, casual, not a gamer, not in a hurry and I plan to be playing SotA for years, decay or not.

Rhiannon, Almar, Mykll and 8 others like this.
  14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I am like you @Mugly Wumple except I have no one who plays with me my style like your wife does.
    I mostly struggle with games in the end, because of the very high requirements or passion needed.

I cannot not compare to others I am playing with, that's impossible, I often doomed to be the lone wolf, but I would more like to have someone who plays like I play, slow paced, immersioning sometimes roleplaying... never find one, rather my friends or people I know from gaming for many years. They all play more progress oriented .

The other thing is i feel bad with my build even in T3 what I can easy manage, but there is such a slight and really less reward and such a less variance that it is not motivating me anymore and boring.

And my goal is or was to be someone who is a part of the german Drachenbund ( kind of alliance) , a roleplayer etc...
    Thing is this role is somewhat connected to levels and gamemechanics. I don't want to play someone who isn't really able to do it in the environment.
    Should have choose the beggar role or the idiot mage who fizzles all day long.
    Unfortunately I had bigger plans and know become aware I cannot do it.

Dantuin, Sir Cabirus and Weins201 like this.
  15. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

As a more casual player who sometimes goes in spurts of long play sessions I have focused largely on social aspects and housing. I enjoy the community I've become a part of and they are happy to let me join in their epic dragon fights when the chance arises despite my less than stellar combat skills.

Though I also focused on specifically getting the skills I wanted like ice elemental which was a decent goal for me and made me feel good.

I do quite a bit of crafting but I have taken a shortcut of buying and selling COTOs to purchase most of my
    Materials so I save time grinding mats.

It's definitely a game where more dedicated players have a chance to be stronger and more versatile than casuals for sure, but I don't mind it and to many it's a selling point.

MMORPGs have kind of gotten to the point over the years where the max level of power and progress was simply an inevitability rather than an achievement. When I see powerful players I don't mind... its awesome that you can put the time in and be "the elite" if you want.

But I also logged in to Bastion's Point (the POT I live in) after probably a month of not plying and had a couple perfect strangers see me and say "there he is! Dreamo that mysterious wizard" because of my notorious and glamorous wizard tower in the middle
    Of town. I performed some tricks for them and taught them a few emotes and had a good time. I felt good about that achievement. This is more of a game about making your own goals and finding your own place.

16. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I consider myself a "casual hard core" which means I work 50 hours a week first, spend time with family 2nd and then try to play this game as much as I can between. The top players in this game are adv lvl 110+ and Im adv lvl 92. That adv lvl 92 has been done 99.9% in solo play and farming. I have a big house that I am still trying to finish decorating (will probably take for ever) which is usually done buying stuff with the gold I farm. I've found that by adv lvl 90, you do have a shot against anyone in the game, even the adv lvl 110 people, because you should be nearing GM's in all skills in your build you want. They have an advantage only that they can switch skills to target your specialty.

But other then that, I can do anything in the game at this point 6 month in.

Time does matter in this game but it is a decreasing advantage as you go higher.

Unless you are the type that has to be the best at everything, there is no real hurry in this game and being casual in this game is far better then many games that put you on rails or want you go grind out some uber epic dungeon with 40 otehr people for 4 hours. I can log in and do anything I choose to fill up my time for the session.

hroth and danjacobsmith like this.
  17. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

The higher you go the more casual the game can become. When I was a sub 80 adv lvl I couldn't bank XP and I was always broke. Once I hit level 80 though it seemed like I banked tons of experience and my grind was way more efficient. I started saving gold too - that part was really nice.

nonaware, jammaplaya and Alexander like this.
  18. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I'm just taking my time on the game as well.

Regarding skill decay, I would dedicate a week to train nothing (set everything to maintain) but just stock up XP. I always have mine at least around 500k at all times. That way getting skill decay hits in a day or two in rows won't hurt much.

Sean Silverfoot and Lord-Galiwyn like this.
  19. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Even for a casual it's all about how you play... and by that I mean are you approaching SotA as "a game", or more of an RP, sim kind of thing...?

When it comes to casual play, I think it suits someone playing in the latter style. I think it's much harder for someone approching it as "a game".

The grind is real and for anyone playing SotA "as a game"; something they need to "level" in, I think playing casually is a sub-optimal experience.

But, who knows? It really comes down to someone's patience. I've seen people capable of tiny, casual sessions, over years, to get somewhere in games.

It's not the way 90% or more of people would ever seek to play a game, but such people exist, so it's hard to talk in absolutes. Only near absolutes.

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Sorry for your frustrations Stundorn. I think I'm a casual player although I log in almost everyday and do a few things, some days more than others. I know most people are trying to hang in there to deal with a lot still missing from this game that would give them a reason to play after they have tried to do it themselves for so long. No one really has the answers.

As others have said it has to be up to the player to wait it out to see what this game will become. The way it was suppose or thought to work is you get part of your xp from adventuring and part from doing the story which helped your pool. To me it seems that premise has been dropped or maybe just because of the quest lines not being in. ;). I could be wrong though and you do get some xp from questing and sometimes big amounts.

As much as no one likes to hear it, we are not there yet. There seems to be more of a sense of urgency imo in the tone of the Devs as they and players want to get closer to a release date. So here's hoping that the strong feedback has shook the very foundations of this game, in a manner of speaking that is ;), and that possible solutions to getting missing components in and also any fixing of the game that needs to be done is all being figured out and ironed out. ;). If you're not having fun anytime then that is on you and if you think the game is done, that is also on you. When we release then that is another thing. We'll see when we get there. ;)

edited ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.